Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been quite a journey. I had the VBG a little more than 13 years ago and didn't realize revisions were even an option until late last Fall. I researched this for 3 to 4 months non-stop. Decided the sleeve was the right choice for me, then trying to find a surgeon willing / capable of revising a VBG to a sleeve has not been easy. I found a surgeon back in February, went through all their hoops for 3 months, lost paperwork and ultimately finding the surgeon's office is engaged in some very unethical business practices 2 weeks before I was to have surgery. Aetna got involved and now that surgeon's websites are all down.

So, was able to find a new surgeon, got the insurance re-approval, and now have a new date of 6/22. I think this should all work out this time.

Wish me luck everyone!

Good luck and blessings! Keep us posted on how you are doing! :)

Can anyone point me in the right direction where the pinned thread is at for the list needed before surgery? I've been looking everywhere and can't find it.

I leave for surgery 2 weeks from Monday!! I have been looking at the list of foods at the different stages my Dr. recommends and find it odd he only wants me on Clear liquids for 2 days and starting mooshies within 8 days.... just seems early to me.

Hi former_VBG!! Congrats and I'm so glad you're getting your surgery very soon! Please keep us updated on how you're doing!

Would you mind explaining exactly what the VBG is? I'm thinking the old stomach stapling surgery but not sure...

Here is the link to the thread you asked about: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/10081-the-official-what-you-will-need-for-your-surgery-thread/page__p__87801__fromsearch__1#entry87801

Hi former_VBG!! Congrats and I'm so glad you're getting your surgery very soon! Please keep us updated on how you're doing!

Would you mind explaining exactly what the VBG is? I'm thinking the old stomach stapling surgery but not sure...

Here is the link to the thread you asked about: http://www.verticals...h__1#entry87801

Thank you so much! The VBG is basically the older version of the lapband with the difference being that the band I had done 13 years ago was not designed to be adjustable. The Dr. used a mesh to create the band and then stapled half way down my stomach- which I'm not sure why he did that. I actually didn't have any complications and lost most of the weight I wanted and maintained for several years but then starting 2 or 3 years ago started experiencing lots of issues with stricture. It came on so slow that I didn't put two and two together that I was starting down the path of "soft food syndrome" and it was causing me to eat foods I knew wouldn't get stuck and subsequently causing me to throw it back up shortly after eating it.

Thank you so much! The VBG is basically the older version of the lapband with the difference being that the band I had done 13 years ago was not designed to be adjustable. The Dr. used a mesh to create the band and then stapled half way down my stomach- which I'm not sure why he did that. I actually didn't have any complications and lost most of the weight I wanted and maintained for several years but then starting 2 or 3 years ago started experiencing lots of issues with stricture. It came on so slow that I didn't put two and two together that I was starting down the path of "soft food syndrome" and it was causing me to eat foods I knew wouldn't get stuck and subsequently causing me to throw it back up shortly after eating it.

Thanks for the explanation. I myself am a revision from Lap Band and I also had the soft food syndrome too. It was a huge disaster, I lost 60 and gained 58 back... lol Oh well, that's all over and done with now and here I am 9 months out from my sleeve and I couldn't be happier!!! I know you will be too. Hang in there! :)

Wising you the best. Congrats on your new date!

Wising you the best. Congrats on your new date!

Thank you! Do I read your ticker right that you have lost 50# in one month!?!?! That is outstanding!!! I hope the #'s shed as quickly for me.

Thank you! Do I read your ticker right that you have lost 50# in one month!?!?! That is outstanding!!! I hope the #'s shed as quickly for me.

50 pounds is fantastic, but don't get hung up on how much others lose in a month, her BMI is quite a bit different than yours... Your body will do fine, and in it own time. Congrats on getting a new Dr. and date!

50 pounds is fantastic, but don't get hung up on how much others lose in a month, her BMI is quite a bit different than yours... Your body will do fine, and in it own time. Congrats on getting a new Dr. and date!

Thank you! I got the results of the pre-op blood work back Friday and everything looks pretty good. Cholesterol was a bit elevated, Iron a little low- but nothing my PCP said was to be real alarmed about. I went and did a little "pre-surgery" shopping today, and stocked up on the sugar free Jello, broth, crystal lite, lite applesauce, etc. I bought a light and comfy robe, and some new sweat pants (old ones were getting pretty old). I figure I will be wearing sweats for at least the first several days. Especially for the drive home.

One thing I find a little interesting is in the paperwork for the post-surgery diet is my doc seems to be ok with pretty much any kind of Soups (non-chunky) but no reference to calories, carbs or sodium. Since I am an out of state patient, I will be meeting with one of his nutritionists the day before surgery to cover things in more detail and I wonder if she/he will zero in on the restrictions a bit more. So, I held on on buying any Soups knowing sodium causes people to retain Water, and of course high carbs wouldn't be good either.

For the drive home after my post-op check up w/my Dr., I was thinking I would plan on having plenty of Crystal Lite handy. It is about an 8 1/2 hr drive, but I'm wondering if it will take me longer if they ask me to stop every 2 or 3 hrs to get out and walk about for a bit to avoid blood clots.

Thank you! I got the results of the pre-op blood work back Friday and everything looks pretty good. Cholesterol was a bit elevated, Iron a little low- but nothing my PCP said was to be real alarmed about. I went and did a little "pre-surgery" shopping today, and stocked up on the sugar free Jello, broth, crystal lite, lite applesauce, etc. I bought a light and comfy robe, and some new sweat pants (old ones were getting pretty old). I figure I will be wearing sweats for at least the first several days. Especially for the drive home.

One thing I find a little interesting is in the paperwork for the post-surgery diet is my doc seems to be ok with pretty much any kind of Soups (non-chunky) but no reference to calories, carbs or sodium. Since I am an out of state patient, I will be meeting with one of his nutritionists the day before surgery to cover things in more detail and I wonder if she/he will zero in on the restrictions a bit more. So, I held on on buying any Soups knowing sodium causes people to retain Water, and of course high carbs wouldn't be good either.

For the drive home after my post-op check up w/my Dr., I was thinking I would plan on having plenty of Crystal Lite handy. It is about an 8 1/2 hr drive, but I'm wondering if it will take me longer if they ask me to stop every 2 or 3 hrs to get out and walk about for a bit to avoid blood clots.

Just a heads up, I couldn't stand anything sweet the first few weeks... Half and half on the crystal light might work better... bring a jug of Water anyway just in case. I would think getting out and stretching now and then would be a great idea...even without surgery! A good pillow to support your stomach when you move around too... and to sleep on! You are not driving are you?

Just a heads up, I couldn't stand anything sweet the first few weeks... Half and half on the crystal light might work better... bring a jug of Water anyway just in case. I would think getting out and stretching now and then would be a great idea...even without surgery! A good pillow to support your stomach when you move around too... and to sleep on! You are not driving are you?

Oh yes I am driving. I will be solo on this trip. I am used to making long drives. I routinely make a 1,500 mile round trip in 48 hrs once a month to go visit one of my horses in training right now and this will be about 300 miles less round trip. I'm kind of like a guy when it comes to getting in the car..... stop for gas, potty and eat when you gas, and gooooo.... So, stopping just to get out and stretch will be something I will have to make myself do. The pillow is a good idea- thank you!

Oh yes I am driving. I will be solo on this trip. I am used to making long drives. I routinely make a 1,500 mile round trip in 48 hrs once a month to go visit one of my horses in training right now and this will be about 300 miles less round trip. I'm kind of like a guy when it comes to getting in the car..... stop for gas, potty and eat when you gas, and gooooo.... So, stopping just to get out and stretch will be something I will have to make myself do. The pillow is a good idea- thank you!

You take care of yourself now! Getting this surgery is a little bit like getting kicked by a horse! Just because you can shake it off, doesn't mean you should. Some people get weak, nauseous, and sore.... and heaven forbid, sometimes more.

Give yourself a little TLC on the trip, and plan out where there are Drs on the way home... just in case you need one. You will probably be just fine, but do take care...You wont be able to take hard core painkillers, then drive. Just being devils advocate here...

You take care of yourself now! Getting this surgery is a little bit like getting kicked by a horse! Just because you can shake it off, doesn't mean you should. Some people get weak, nauseous, and sore.... and heaven forbid, sometimes more.

Give yourself a little TLC on the trip, and plan out where there are Drs on the way home... just in case you need one. You will probably be just fine, but do take care...You wont be able to take hard core painkillers, then drive. Just being devils advocate here...

Thank you. I suspect I may have a little breakdown once I get down there and am all by myself. I do worry a little what I would do if I started feeling weird on the trip home- mostly because I am what most would call a "tough bird" and I tend to have such a high tolerance for pain that I will have to try and pay better attention to any signs of problems. I think my biggest fear is having a blood clot on the way home- but I'm going to ask to be on a blood thinner for at least a couple of weeks after surgery to help with that.

It would be nice to try and meet up with some fellow Dallas or area sleevers while I'm there- but so far nobody has responded to any requests. :-( I have figured out the "check out" issue from the hospital- but will be in town for a few days afterwards until I get cleared to go home.