Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You know, I essentially got told as well that I 'didn't need' pain medication (well, aside from acetaminophen lol) after sleeve surgery, as though it were categorically true of anyone getting the surgery. Luckily I was actually NOT in that much pain, just a bit the first day. I mean, I live in a country with the highest standard of living, the top health care, the best of everything -- but they still are completely conservative about pain killers. It's bizarre.

Plus there is an American bias, where they think Americans in general are whiny wimps (seriously) -- my dentist when I first moved here shot me full of like 2x the amount of Novocaine as I needed, and when I was still numb that night, he explained that he assumed I'd need more Novocaine (or any at all; apparently the locals often opt out of having it :blink: ) because I came from the US. We have since come to a better understanding of my ACTUAL wimp level and the appropriate numbing to use. :D

That all said, I do believe they both recognise and treat fibro and CFS here, as I've read articles about it in the news from time to time, how it's on the rise, and how to treat it, etc. I think if I had really demanded and made a fuss that I needed better drugs, they for sure would have given them to me. The low-key treatment approach was just the default and I wasn't fussed enough to fight about it. When I had open surgery in 2007, they did give me plenty of self-administered morphine for the first day or so post-op. (Then they put acetaminophen and ibuprofen suppositories up my back door for the next few days after that...don't even get me started...)

I'm anyhow really sorry that things happened the way they did with Renee's pain treatment (lack thereof) and I hope by now you are feeling much better.

Thanks Dee, I am feeling much better day by day...everyone was right about that. My "big" incision hurts like the devil but I expected that after all I'd read on here. I get tired easily and it feels like I'm sleeping around the clock and only waking up to drink, potty, talk for a bit and then zonk back out again. I'm very weak but again, this is pretty normal after a major surgery. All in all I think after passing the initial hump(s) I'm pretty much right on schedule.

About the lack of narcotics use in Mexicali...I only know what I was told so I advise everyone, EVERYONE to ask YOUR doctor what kind of pain meds will be administered after surgery. Maybe I'm a wimp but what I got wasn't nearly strong enough for me. Again, not trying to start a pissing contest of "my birth pains were stronger and harder than yours were!" type thing lol, this was only my experience and maybe I am a total wimp. I deal with horrible pain daily so maybe that little bit extra broke me somewhere inside and I couldn't take any more. I wasn't able to suck it up and take the pain and needed something more, which I was promised I would have.

I was lied to about a few things and I'm having a harder time being deceived by someone that I really really liked and trusted. I am not going to mention any names because I want to absolutely clarify it straight up with the person that lied. I felt really good and excited about my decision to go to Mexicali because I didn't want to have any fears about coming home and having problems later. I understand there can ALWAYS be complications, but I wanted to lower my chances as much as possible and I sincerely feel like I researched to the best of my abilities and made my decision. The fact is, I *did* ask all the right questions and was given reassurances that none of this would be an issue and would be taken care of. This was not the case for me. Maybe I'm one of many that fell through the cracks (no bad jokes here about falling outta my bed! <_< ).

Either way, my intent here is not to slam any doctor, only to give advise to anyone having surgery done.

Hope this helps someone else and thank you ALL for not judging me or bashing me. I was very afraid to tell the truth, believe me, I agonized over it. I didn't want everyone to hate me, stupid, I know...but true.

XOXO Renee`

Thanks for sharing Renee- honestly, I am in Mexicali now about to have my revision..I don't have any chronic pain issues, but am feeling terrified.

Please pray for me!

There have been 2 posts in this thread about pain not being managed. One just happened and the other was not sure if the wreck she had the day before surgery might have had something to do with her pain. Out of the hundreds, probably more here and on obesity help that have had surgery with Dr. Aceves, these are the only examples I ever remember with unmanaged pain. I have read repeatedly about patients here in the states and elsewhere having lots of pain. And they did not even have the issues Renee had. Are those Drs being chastised here? And we will keep in mind that Renee's case is special, no? Fibro issues and the fact that she has to take high levels of pain meds to keep it under control. That is not the case for the majority of patients. I mean, it IS major surgery, so pain will occur. But, if you have special circumstances this thread serves the purpose of warning other fibro/pain med patients, as AutumnLily said. I don't want a potential patient to think this is the 'way it is' there. If I recall, Crosswind was so happy with her pain meds, she was floating. And they DO use opiates. Fentanyl is used and they also use morphine. This will more than suffice 99% of the population. And I never had a moments pain except for some co2 gas pains.

We all are different and we will all react differently to post-op pain, but if you are special, please check into the pain med situation and know that Mexicali might not be the right fit for you, but for most of us, it was the perfect place. The posts on this board speak for themselves in that regard.smile.gif

Crosswind's post

It is interesting bc Renee and I were at the hospital at the exact same time. I had my surgery the day bf she had hers. Her pain was real, I was there, I saw her. I, on the other hand, hand zero pain. I didn't even have the gas pains that most get. I didn't have any nausea. When I woke up from surgery and I was in the recovery room I asked for pain meds and they gave them to me. I remember the anesthesioligist saying that I should not feel any pain and if I did to ask for something right away. I felt something but it wasn't pain so I asked for something and did so throughout the rest of the day. Maybe this is why I didn't have any pain...bc I kept on top of it? I'm not sure but either way I'm glad I didn't. Also for me, I didn't have any fibro or cfs issues bf I had surgery. I have 100 pounds to lose, I have high blood pressure and didn't want to end up with diabetes which both of my parents have. This is why I had the surgery. I have a severe latex allergy and spoke to everyone about it and spoke in detail to Dr. Aceves, Dr. Campos, and the anesthesioligist about this. It was taken care of, I had to have a special JP drain instead of the usual kind most patients get with Dr. Aceves. I felt great and still feel good other than a little weak and I get worn out easy.

Renee` did do her homework and she was assured bf she went to Mx that this would be taken care of. It wasn't. That is just what it was. The story needs to be told so people with these issues can make sure that the same thing does not happen to them. If someone is going there with chronic pain conditions....talk to Dr. Campos and Dr. Aceves personally, in detail bf you go into surgery. They will talk to you and spend as much time with you as you need. Bf my surgery I had the orientation talk with Dr. Campos and then Dr. Aceves came around to each room and talked to us alone. When Renee` had her surgery she had the orientation with Dr. Aceves and a neither one of them came to the room to talk alone with the everyone. Every day it is a little different there. I think it just depends on when Dr. Aceves is in surgery and when he isn't.

It's good to hear both sides and to hear from two people who were there at the same time and who had totally different experiences and went in with different issues. Everything in Mexico is not going to be perfect, everything in the US is not going to be perfect. I had a horrible experience not too long ago with a hospital here in the US when I had some chest pain and had to spend the night. The care I received was TERRIBLE it was nothing like the care I received in Mexico. Does that mean all hospitals in the US are like that? Of course not. I had great experiences in the US when I had my children.

Do your research, ask questions. It's scary to go out of the country, it's a huge decision. Talk to as many people as you can who went to Mexico and ask their advice and look at the whole picture of each persons experience when you are deciding what to do. Thankfully the majority of the people who have gone to Dr. Aceves have had an excellent experience. This should not take away from the concerns of those who have not had a good experience. It can be a very emotional thing to talk about when there are two different experiences...it almost feels personal, but it's not. Dr. Aceves is a good surgeon, that is obvious. Dr. Campos is an excellent, wonderful doctor! Renee` and I both agree with that even though we had different experiences.

Reynee you are no dumb and we would not jump all over you! Again I hope that Dr A and his team learn from this that Fibro has to be treated differently. Out of the group of us who had surgery that day, I was the only one who had pain. There was no moaning in the halls like some of my friends here in the states have told me about when they got their VSG. This is NOT a Mexico vs US thing. And I did respect him not wanting to hand out narcotics like candy. I delt with a very real addiction to hydros after my ankle shatter in 03. I was given a drip of morphine while in the hospital in Mexico, the little brown bulb you carry around. I was in a car accident the day before one which I continue to have PT for so it wasn't minor. All being said, *I* would go back to Dr A in an instant. That is not to say that Reynee should or that he shouldn't be called out on how he managed her case. I will be writing a letter to Nina to tell her how concerned this has me because I sing his praises from the rooftops however I wouldn't want anyone else having a bad experience on my suggestion. After working in hospitals here in the US and then being a patient of Dr A's I know where I was given better care. Reynee I hope you continue to recover well and that you are able to sort through the emotional issues that come with distress like you experienced.

Dr. Campos IS a wonderful doctor and I even hugged him when I left because he genuinely cared about me when I did the header out of the bed and ripped my ear. Dr. Aceves IS a wonderful surgeon and I have had no complications. I specifically TOLD their coordinator about my conditions and the medications that I was on and she assured me this would never be a problem. It was. It was a huge problem and when things went bad there was no one there that spoke english. Sarah can attest to this as well because she was up wandering around at night and walking.

I understand that people have different reactions to different things, but to suggest that I didn't do my research is assinine. I did just as much if not MORE because of my fibro and cfs. IF I had been told that Dr. Aceves doesn't even believe in fibro, mexicali would not have been in my list of choices because my biggest fear was going into a flare after the trauma of surgery.

Disney, I like you and always have but I have an issue with you basically calling Lynn a liar. Saying that you KNOW what they use and she does not isn't a fair statement. My son was in the room in tears because he thought I was dead as I was lying on the floor bleeding. The doctor specifically told Lynn AND my son that they don't use narcotics there like we do in the states. Period. Never once was I disrespecting Dr. Aceves or Dr. Campos, I was telling everyone what happened to me personally. I agonized over this because I knew there would be those that jumped all over me for it. Fine. Jump away.

To be honest, everything said here has been sugar coated to the extreme so that we WERE respectful but the truth was uglier. Take that how you will. I could care less at this point. I'm concentrating on healing and getting well and getting past this bs. Blame me because I'm dependent on narcotics. Blame me because I have fibro and cfs, like I said I could care less right now. IMO the doctors SHOULD HAVE BEEN INFORMED and either were not, OR they chose to ignore it. Either way it's unacceptable during a major surgery.

There is no need to jump to Dr. Aceves defense because I'm not attacking anyone. I'm stating what happened to ME. This totally reminds me of a rape victim being told her f-ing skirt was too short. I'm really upset about this. I don't know if I fell through the cracks there, I don't KNOW what happened but I didn't get the care I needed and paid for. Sarah DID. She had a wonderful experience and I'm so happy and I was WAY glad she was there because she came in to tie my hair back for me as I was heaving. I was by no means the only one there in a lot of pain with uncontrolled nausea, in fact, Sarah was the only one that didn't have pain and nausea out of all of us.

Renee`

I'm curious, Renee - what did your pain doc in the US say about you having surgery in Mexico? Did he give you any guidelines for proper pain management afterwards or warn you about what you needed to look out for? Whoever is writing your scripts for narcotics should have been included in the circle of communication due to your fibro & cfs history and dependence. Please forgive my asking if you mentioned it elsewhere...

I'm wondering because my mother was on morphine for a year before she had her back surgery and the pain clinic made her sign a contract with them that she was to inform their office if another doctor tried to so much as prescribe an ibuprofen. They were in charge of all pain meds that were administered and that included them being in on the consult with the spinal surgeon. They managed her pain in tandem with the hospital during recovery as well because they knew what her tolerance levels were. In fact, they weaned her down a couple of levels so her pain could be managed more easily in recovery.

It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but it really seems as if you were a one-in-a-million kind of patient with extenuating circumstances and special medical needs coupled with a language barrier. I'm not making any excuses for anyone, but this thread has the potential to scare the bejesus out of those exploring the Mexico option, most of whom do not share your medical history. I personally had a great experience with little to no surgical pain (gas is another story) and hate to think that anyone may be crossing MX off their list when it may be their only option due to cost. If someone shares your medical dx then they should take serious note, but thankfully that's not the majority of us.

I hope you continue to feel better every day and start losing big time!!! You deserve it after all that!

Beth

It's terrible all that Renee went through.

I know things are done differently here in Mexicali because i just had a face lift and I asked my surgeon for stronger pain meds. He said Mexico does not have access to a lot of the medications we have in the United States.

I am glad Renee went to Dr. Aceves. I shudder to think what would have happened if she had been in a recovery house where the people who took care of her would have not even been nurses like some of the Mexico options . Since she chose to go to Mexico, she went to the very best surgeon and hospital possible.

With all that being said, not many people have problems when they go to Mexicali. I was one that had no pain and was walking around the neighborhood by the hospital the next day after surgery.

I find it interesting that this is supposed to be a place where people can come to get information, yet it appears that people only want to have 'glowing' reviews that fit your opinions. Never once has it been said that Dr. Aceves is anything but a superior surgeon, because he is. What we were trying to do was inform other people that have fibro/cfs or other chronic conditions to make sure that the right questions are asked ahead of time. We thought that we had asked all the right questions. We were assured that pain management was NOT going to be an issue, but it was. So just because "the majority of us" do not share Renee's medical dx we shouldn't share our story here? Just saying...

I find it interesting that this is supposed to be a place where people can come to get information, yet it appears that people only want to have 'glowing' reviews that fit your opinions. Never once has it been said that Dr. Aceves is anything but a superior surgeon, because he is. What we were trying to do was inform other people that have fibro/cfs or other chronic conditions to make sure that the right questions are asked ahead of time. We thought that we had asked all the right questions. We were assured that pain management was NOT going to be an issue, but it was. So just because "the majority of us" do not share Renee's medical dx we shouldn't share our story here? Just saying...

I haven't seen anyone say you shouldn't share your experience here. But it does need to be made clear that Renee is a special case. There are people already scheduled to go to Mexico that are now thinking about canceling their surgery because of this thread and IMO that's a HUGE disservice when MX might be their only option. Comments that one was lied to by someone they trusted need to be explained and put into context.

Also, future fibro/cfs patients on narcotics for pain management need to be sure they consult with their own pain docs and get them in the loop as much as possible to eliminate any further suffering, no matter what doc is chosen.

I have a question...not directed to anyone in particular....why wouldn't you want all stories/experiences shared? I know that when I was looking into going to Mexico I searched and searched to read the good and the bad. I needed to hear both sides so that I could make a wise and informed decision. In fact there was someone on here not too long before I left that had a terrible experience in Mexico. She explained all the details and I needed to read that. I needed to know all of it even though it scared me to death. I needed to know what could happen to me and I needed to know that despite all of the bad that can happen to people, from everything I have read, it ends up turning out good in the end. Reading the experience of everyone is what helped me make the decision I made. I don't feel that anything is said on here is meant to scare anyone. Going to Mexico is scary! It seems that everyone does agree that Renee's situation was different, she has said that herself.

Idk, maybe I am just going around and around. It's hard to understand how people are saying things on the internet unless you know them. I think it's hard too bc there is so much respect for Dr. Aceves and I believe he should be respected, he is good at what he does. It hurts us personally when someone else has a bad experience... at least that's how I feel.

Even though I am not going to Mexico to have my surgery, I really do appreciate Renee sharing her experience because it could happen ANYWHERE. I know from personal experience that if my sister (a rather knowledgeable nurse) had not stayed on top of certain things, my mom would have ended up dead thanks to a couple of incompetent doctors/nurses here in the USA.

As someone who has not had the sleeve done yet, I am thankful for posts like this. I want to know the good AND the bad. It plays into my decision. It also reminds me of things that I do need to discuss with my surgeon. Let's face it, it's hard to remember everything that needs to be discussed, and having posts like this helps to jog my memory and talk to him about it.

I'm sorry that Renee had such a hard time of things, but I am glad that she decided to share with us her very personal experience so that we could learn from it.

Ok, I have kept pretty quiet about this from the get go. But now I'm starting to get ticked off. Not once did anyone mention that Dr. A was a bad surgeon, not once did anyone say that the hospital was a bad hospital. All Lynn and Renee and Sarsar are relaying was their experience. People come here to be informed and informed is what they are getting. It sucks a big one that Renee went through what she went through and it serves as a reminder to anyone who is going to go to Mexicali for their sleeve that has her conditions that additional steps need to be taken. Like she said it was sugar coated here and I have no doubt that it was a terrifying experience to go through, it was her experience and no one should chastise her account of that experience. On the other side of that Sarsar was there at the same time and had quite the opposite experience. When I had my sleeve here in the states, I was puking blood for two whole days because of internal bleeding, and not once in my wanderings did I read anything about that happening to anyone. I am sure I wasnt the only one. I posted my story so others would be informed that this could also happen. In a perfect world there are rainbows and unicorns and fairies and such, but hey people we are here on earth and not everything is perfect.

Renee I am glad you are on the mend and dont let anyone or anything stop you from your main goal, getting healthy.