Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does restriction feel like?

I'm not sleeved yet but have read soooo many post on this forum. You all have so much good input...even ones like myself that haven't been sleeved yet! So I have a question... What exactly does restriction feel like? Does it just feel like you are full? Or does it feel like your stomach is going to bust open? Does it hurt?

At first you can't really feel it coz your tummy's numb or something. So you get these weird signals like a hiccup or a tightness in your chest, and you just know you're done. Now I get a semi-normal full feeling again (I had a very strong full signal before surgery) and it is just clear that there is NO MORE ROOM. I like to stop a bit before that because it's like Thanksgiving full after half a cup of food. Trippy, that's what it is. To be that full and HAVE NO TANGIBLE food BABY. :blink:

It's awesome.

I am only 11 days post op and really at this point undereat so don't really know what it feels like to be full and I am still on full-liquids.

However, there have been a couple times I have drank too fast or eaten too fast and I get a real tight feeling in my chest. It feels like pressure and I have to get up and walk around a bit and it subsides! It is uncomfortable and really lets me know that I need to slow down and take my time!

I try to watch the clock when I am eating and take a bite every 2-3 minutes. That way I know I am good to go, I guess sometimes, I just forget that I was just sleeved.

Good luck to you!

Kelly

I am apparently a slow learner but I have finally figured out the hard way (throwing up) that my signal that I am full is a SLIGHT pressure in my chest...just under where the bottom of my bra hits. It is a subtle difference. Nothing like before surgery when I could feel my stomach stretching and getting full.

It isn't a bad thing...it is just different and you will have to learn your signals. I also get hiccups but that is once I have eaten too much and when I get the hiccups I know the next step is that I am going to vomit. So hiccups are NOT a good sign for me! :blink:

That is a great question. I should have asked that before my surgery.

I feel kind of like I need to burp and then I know I am done.

But I kind of think everyone is a bit different.

I think its less pleasant than full felt before pre-op and higher up in the chest. But hungry is way less intense so thats really the best part And it varies widely for no apparent reason. Last night I ate 1.5 flautas de pollo slowly and was comfortable and sometimes just Fluid fills me up. I was out with a friend last night who doesn't know about my surgery so it was nice to eat "normally"

A question I have wondered also. I am meeting my surgeon on Thur. and I am looking to be sleeved the end of June-early July!

I have wondered if restriction right after post op is scary? Does some people feel as if they can't breath or swallow? Has anyone panicked?

I am a little or a lot scared :rolleyes:

Not too scared to pass up on life though!!

For one thing, I feel my stomach much higher in my body now--it's kind of right near the heart, whereas before, it seemed much lower (probably was, to expand so much!). Now, when I eat, I tend to burp just a little with almost every bite--I know when I feel like I need to burp but almost can't that I need to stop. If I ignore that, either because I'm eating too fast or just not being mindful with how much I'm eating (like when I first started on mushies), I get a feeling of food being caught in my throat, and it hurts, and I know that I'm going to have to throw up.

If you eat slowly, chew well, and pay attention, you really won't be able to miss when it's time to stop; at least for me, a couple of lessons in, I was pretty serious about paying attention. :-)

I still have problems with throwing up, but I think it's because my sleeve is kind of picky about texture still. I handle soft, slippery, liquidy foods great, but other stuff, not so much. It's all a learning process.

Thank you all for your input! This makes me feel better. I was afraid I wouldn't know when to stop, like now, and I'd bust my stomach open or something. Lol. I like the idea of feeling in control...knowing that I will have a sign or two when to stop and possibly not even wanting all the food anyways.

I hic cup once and then for some weird reason I get post nasal drip. But yes the restriction is there. I do feel it. When I eat dense Protein I only takes 3 ounces and I'm done. I can't even get a vege in after that. Which is fine. Not complaining. :D

Deb

For me the full feeling is much like it was before, but with much less food. I have only had to vomit once, and that was (I think) because I had drank a bunch of Water too soon before eating. But, generally, I try to eat fairly slowly and stop eating when I start to feel full. If I eat too fast, sometimes, I feel stuffed and get the hiccups. Your worry that you could accidently bust your stomach open seems pretty impossible to me. I start to feel full, and my stomach says, "NO." In that way, I guess it's a little different than before surgery. Before surgery, I could know that I had plenty to eat and just keep on eating. Now, my stomach protests greatly, and I just simply wouldn't want to eat anymore because it becomes uncomfortable.

The first time I felt my restriction was with grits. I was on full-liquids and thought if I made them not so runny, I would feel a little more satisfied. I took about two bites and it was like they were stuck in my chest. I did get panicky and didn't know what to do.

I was scared and thought I screwed myself up! I could breathe, but it was so weird, like it was stuck, I was only a week or so out and just knew i was gonna hurl!! I didn't, but it was sure learning lesson! You have to find what works for you. I can drink a lot faster and more than most people can that are 2 weeks out from surgery as I am, but there are those that can eat more than me. Everyone is different!

Good luck to you!

Kelly :)

A question I have wondered also. I am meeting my surgeon on Thur. and I am looking to be sleeved the end of June-early July!

I have wondered if restriction right after post op is scary? Does some people feel as if they can't breath or swallow? Has anyone panicked?

I am a little or a lot scared :rolleyes:

Not too scared to pass up on life though!!

Thank you Kelly. Best wishes on your journey!

The first time I felt my restriction was with grits. I was on full-liquids and thought if I made them not so runny, I would feel a little more satisfied. I took about two bites and it was like they were stuck in my chest. I did get panicky and didn't know what to do.

I was scared and thought I screwed myself up! I could breathe, but it was so weird, like it was stuck, I was only a week or so out and just knew i was gonna hurl!! I didn't, but it was sure learning lesson! You have to find what works for you. I can drink a lot faster and more than most people can that are 2 weeks out from surgery as I am, but there are those that can eat more than me. Everyone is different!

Good luck to you!

Kelly :)