Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am afraid I am pushing my luck and need some tough love. I had my VSG surgery late May 5th, but today on May 14th, I am already on some mushies. It started with a hard boiled egg blended, it was so good I am now doing blended refried Beans. I know I am suppose to be on full liquids only until May 20th (although my Doctor's main nurse said I should be good for mushies on May 18th.

I am in no pain from the surgery, I walked 3 miles today, eating mushies, going back to work in 2 days, but I had surgery 9 days ago. And even though I am limiting eating just 4 oz, I know I have had 5 oz in one sitting with no restrictions. Everything just tastes so good, and I get a minor heartburn feeling in the center of my chest and force my self to stop, but I am very worried. This IS NOT a good start. If I am pushing things and 'cheating' now, what will happen and will I ever really change my habits, or will this all be for nothing?

Input?

Are you doing this because you are hungry?

I agree it's not off to a good start in terms of not staying in lockstep with the rules of your program. But please realize the more important thing at this time is that you keep your stomach safe while it heals.

The reason I asked about the hunger is because I was sleeved 4/27 and I said here several times I was so hungry. I waited until I saw my doctor and he said to give it at least 3 weeks before you start hunting reasons and things to fix. He said time resolved it usually and, sure enough, it has for me. I haven't given hunger a thought this week. So if you are really feeling hunger, know that is one of the things that goes away as you heal.

And eat very soft and safe if you feel you must.

Good luck.

I am afraid I am pushing my luck and need some tough love. I had my VSG surgery late May 5th, but today on May 14th, I am already on some mushies. It started with a hard boiled egg blended, it was so good I am now doing blended refried Beans. I know I am suppose to be on full liquids only until May 20th (although my Doctor's main nurse said I should be good for mushies on May 18th.

I am in no pain from the surgery, I walked 3 miles today, eating mushies, going back to work in 2 days, but I had surgery 9 days ago. And even though I am limiting eating just 4 oz, I know I have had 5 oz in one sitting with no restrictions. Everything just tastes so good, and I get a minor heartburn feeling in the center of my chest and force my self to stop, but I am very worried. This IS NOT a good start. If I am pushing things and 'cheating' now, what will happen and will I ever really change my habits, or will this all be for nothing?

Input?

just an FYI your stomach nerves were cut and you will not have the sensations you are used to for being full. You may not have any sensation for the first month to 6 weeks. That being said you could harm your staple line and cause a leak. Your doctor has recommended a specific amount of time on liquids for your personal well being and to protect the staple line. I beg you to take this as a warning that you need to follow the doctors directions so that you do not end up back in hospital. This is a good time to start practicing patience and following the recommended eating plan.

You will still lose weight in the beginning but if you do not enforce these better eating behaviours now you will not be able to enforce them down the road when you can eat more. The sleeve is just a tool and you really need to take care of it and use it wisely to maximise your weight loss.

I hope I have made sense to you. Please take the warning as patient non-compliance is a big issue for leading to complications.

You can do it! I believe in your inner strength!

I am ravenous, all I can think about is food, and when can I eat next, and what I can eat when I am on solids, I am obsessed with eating. The only thing I can say that is positive is I am all about the Proteins. Maybe it is because I am going stir crazy since I have not been able to work and think about other things. Who knows, but all I know is this can't be good.

Tough love: You just trusted a surgeon to cut you open, and mutilate a major organ so you'd put the fork down, and you are pushing his post-op instructions. JUST STOP ! ! ! Your stomach nerves have been cut/severed/damaged and stapled off then that big fun part of your stomach was yanked out of your body. So, you might not get a full signal this early, but you could be putting undue/unneeded stress on that newly, fresh wound staple line that fabulous surgeon left you with and trusted that you'd follow his instructions.

Now for the softer side of me: Good deal on moving by walking so much, yay for no pain. I will tell you it's much easier to cheat the sleeve the further out you get, and that's when the real work comes into play. Maintenance is not so easy for some, I can easily gain weight so even at almost 2 years post-op, I have to make the best choice most of the time, or my a$$ is gonna get huge again. A lot of patients get to eat mushies earlier than your program of mine for that matter which is 4 weeks post-op, and they do fine, but that's not your surgeon's instructions.

The mental aspect of this journey is uber difficult, and if you need more support/guidance seek it out now before you're 6 months out and haven't lost your desired amount of weight. Don't wait until your restriction is less, and you can eat more then get depressed because you threw away the opportunity to tackle your food issues.

They operated on our stomachs, not our brains, and believe me, our brains control a lot more than our stomachs ever did on our way to becoming obese.

My You Tube friend- you KNOW you should not do this! So what if it goes down and tastes good. Do you want to jeopardize your healing tender tummy FOREVER by indulging? You said it yourself- if you are cheating already, what are your chances? My doctor makes it clear that if you are not willing to change your lifestyle- don't have the surgery. I don't want to see you end up overweight AND with a sleeve!

Mama Meggie tough love here -STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Get on full liquids right now and do it until the 20th.

If it feels better- I got unexpectedly put on clears and Protein drinks only for THREE SOLID WEEKS- imagine that? Not even cottage cheese. Will I blow it? NO WAY! I (and you) have a lifetime to eat little bits of real food though who will have time with our active, busy, skinny life? We need to heal these new stomachs, period, You know this- you just needed support in remembering.

PLEASE!!!!!!! Do the right thing!

Thanks ALL, that helps make sense about not feeling anything going on in my stomach. I expected a feeling of 'uh, uh, uh, no, no, no' to warn me. I am def going to cut back to just liquids because I am just wanting to feel that warning. But if it will be a while before I feel 'that feeling', I will just stick to the rules. You know us guys we can be pretty pigheaded. Thanks for all the input!!

Hi, ok I can not be the one for but kicking because I am 7 days out and get it. I have not cheated yet because I am a rule follower. However, I have a list of things I am looking forward to eating and if I have a craving. It's nice to know that a lot of people here get it, and tell us to just do it, complain, but do it! Goodluck,

We had our surgeries the same day. I feel hungry sometimes too, but I still have pain so even though I'm anxious for the 18th when I go on mushies, but also a little nervous.

If it hurts I'll stick with the liquids. I guess the toughest part of those Protein drinks is their warm by the time I get done with them.

So I froze 1 ounce skim milk cubes in my ice cube tray, and plop one of those in my Blender Bottle and it helps.

Enjoy your broth too, it's the only food tasting thing we have at this point. lol

I wish you the best of luck.

Terri

I just wanted to add I obsessed about food when I was on liquids. I even dreamt about eating food. Soon as I was on mushies and I felt restriction the wanting and obsessing went away. I also stayed on mushies for a little while longer to give my tummy a little extra healing time. Now that I am on solids I eat my Protein first (more dense the less I can eat) and if I have room its for veggies and some carb/starch but it is rare that I can get to potatoes.

Take care of yourself!

I know how you feel. I was sleeved 7 days ago and it's been going so much better than I thought it could. I've had no restriction on fluids since day 1 and pain has lessened to the point that I barely feel like I had surgery at all (except I sill have a drain sticking out of me). I feel a little TOO good and decided to test the waters with some instant mashed potatoes. I had 3 oz and it tasted so good and didn't feel at all bad. But I realize I'm doing what I always do with a diet, I'm negotiating failure. So I'll stop.

(sigh) I never thought I'd get to the point where I'd be looking forward to pureed turkey chilli like it was a freaking trip ti Disneyland! Soon...very soon.

I am ravenous, all I can think about is food, and when can I eat next, and what I can eat when I am on solids, I am obsessed with eating. The only thing I can say that is positive is I am all about the Proteins. Maybe it is because I am going stir crazy since I have not been able to work and think about other things. Who knows, but all I know is this can't be good.

I suggest you sit down and make a list of the reasons you needed this surgery and what want from it.

Then every time you want to eat "just because it tastes good" look at your list and ask yourself if the food you are about to eat will help you get to your goals or falls in line with the reasons you had this surgery.

You had major surgery, you took a huge step why would you undermine all that? (tough love).

Today is much better, I am back to full liquids only. And I have found a therapist a couple of blocks from my home and she had 2 late nights a week she sees patients. She specializes in patients who have food issues AND had WLS. It is crazy how easily I found her, now let's see if she is on my insurance plan. Thanks so much for all the support. You can also see videos on youtube under the same name Husky2Healthy.

Best, and thank you all so much!

Steven

Glad to hear you are back on track.

I have to say, I do NOT understand how people can go through the preop process, the op, and the postop period, and decide to just ignore the instructions they are given. Seriously, why bother getting the surgery if you plan to not do what you're told (which you're being told because that is the safest, best thing to do)? I don't mean to be rude, I just really do not understand. If nothing else, the risk of a leak would scare the crap outta me that soon postop. I mean, that can KILL you...

Glad to hear you are back on track.

I have to say, I do NOT understand how people can go through the preop process, the op, and the postop period, and decide to just ignore the instructions they are given. Seriously, why bother getting the surgery if you plan to not do what you're told (which you're being told because that is the safest, best thing to do)? I don't mean to be rude, I just really do not understand. If nothing else, the risk of a leak would scare the crap outta me that soon postop. I mean, that can KILL you...

emilygrace- If you 'do NOT understand how people can go through the preop process, the op, and the postop period, and decide to just ignore the instructions they are given.' Then do a post about it instead of placing it on someone's post, who was being totally honest and open about their struggles.

Your comments were not rude, they were simply not empathetic, encouraging nor compassionate , and felt condescending. I don't believe that was your intention. Everyone's journey is different, so that means everyone’s struggles, addictions and battle are different also. This may not be your experience, and you are lucky. But hopefully if someone else is going through what I experienced, they can realize, they are not alone and it gets better.