Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who has had a leak or stricture?

who has had complications post op vsg?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What complications have you had?

• Leak
    • stricture
    • dehydration
    • other illness requiring hospitalization
    • no issues/no complications
  2. 2. How far out did you have your complication?

• 1st week
    • 2-3 weeks
    • 4-6 weeks
    • further out
  3. 3. Knowing what you know now, would you sleeve again?

I think I have a complication and its incredibly scary after all I have been through in the last month with this surgery. Endoscopy Friday...ugh. If people here survived it, I will too...lol. Just wondering what our numbers look like here....

You did not give a spot to vote if you did not have a complication. I am in that part of the vote. Hope your endoscopy goes well and you do not have a complication.

I have not had a complication *knock on wood*.

but i think you see people here having complications (some) because these boards (and others) are the only place where people can really go to vent and speak about their complications.

i hope you are ok and have no complications

No complications here!

Not voting yet because I am only sixth day- but I sure hope you are ok- please let us know!

Not voting yet because I am only sixth day- but I sure hope you are ok- please let us know!

Thanks, I hope so too! This weekend seemed a bit better but tonights dinner caused some intense pain. I know I could have chosen better but the reality is...sometimes we eat on the go. This was one of those times...ugh. Glad to see you're hanging in there! 6 days out was rough...I was looking wayyyy forward to mushies at a week out!!

First I was a revision, so technically you can not count my complications in the general statistics for virgin VSG surgeries since my complications were a direct result of damage the band did to my stomach tissue. Plus, I would have to answer your poll questions with multiple reply.

Condensed version:

2 days post- Revision - Leak detected, and immediately repaired (a whole slew of other complications related to anesthesia, life support for 4-5 days, TPN Fluid bag, Picc line for nutrition 1800 calories a day, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING no ice chips, no hard candy, nothing more than spit crossed my lips for over 3 weeks so you know that was hell in itself, I slept in my recliner because I had 2 jp drains placed in my abdomen, at the ripe age of 32 I had a home health nurse coming to check my vitals, labs, adjust my TPN dosage, and meds every couple of days, and helping me shower)

7-8 weeks post-op - Hospitalized due to 3 abscesses, 2 abdominal, 1 in my pelvic cavity. Conclusion is microscopic bacteria hid out in my body and even on heavy antibiotics following leak repair and at home therapy, my body was too weak to fight the infection completely. Hospitalized for 1 week, 2 additional drains placed along with heavy duty oral antibiotics(3 different types), had the drains for 3 weeks until the abscesses resolved.

3.5 month extensive recovery, and I would take on every struggle, obstacle, frustration again to live the life I have today. There is NO WAY that I would regret this surgery. I beat all the odds, and I won big. The part I would change is the fact my husband was in the pit of hell called Afghanistan and was not allowed to come home. He was emotionally and mentally distraught because my prognosis was so very grave with only a 10% chance of survival, and he went through hell not only because he was deployed but because he could not come home to be here for me and our son.. We are so much stronger today because of it, but the stress and overwhelming feeling of helplessness he endured was very difficult for him. We have a greater appreciation for our relationship/marriage than we ever did before this surgery, and it's not because I'm skinny and healthier, it's because I survived, he came home in one piece and we didn't have to make a claim on either of our life insurance policy.

Wow Tiff- every time I see your story I know I can get though all of this!

I know this can get complicated but I'd love to know what percent of those who develop leaks were following the program as advised (not cheating) and when the leak happened. Week 1, week 2...that sort of thing.

I've been told that leaks are pretty much not going to be an issue after day 21 post surgery unless you really do something stupid. Don't know if others agree.

I had pain from the get-go. Was told it was heartburn. At around 5 or 6 weeks I ended up in the hospital after the pain increasingly got worse until I could no longer drink or eat anything. Many tests later a few things were determined. I had a stricture and have since had 3 scopes. The second scope also saw that I had a small hole at the top of my sleeve. Thankfully nothing was leaking out of it and it was small enough to be closed with glue, the glue was done during my 3rd scope.

I also have a kink in my sleeve, its more of an L shape instead of a banana shape. I have delayed gastric emptying. The doctors also suspected that I had more inflammation than people normally end up with. They see a lot of pain with that alone and it usually lets up around 6-7 weeks. I was in the hospital for about a week and a half on pain meds and then had to start on nausea meds round the clock as I started vomiting after the swallow study. I ended up with PICC line because I could not eat or drink anything.

Finally the pain started to let up and I was able to go home. The pain is off and on now, very random but thankfully nothing like before.

no complications here ! (I'm very grateful for that) but now at almost 2 years out, I'm questioning myself if i really couldn't of done it on my own. . . all I had to do was limit my intake. . funny thing is I know i couldn't of had done it on my own. . .what a crazy battle I've got going on. . . :blink: