Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I tell people that I am getting WLS?

I am getting the VSG and I was wondering if I should tell people that I am having WLS? Or should I keep it to myself? Did people treat you differently because you had WLS to help you lose weight? I am wondering if you told people about your WLS and if you regret it? I am thinking about keeping it a secret besides telling my parents, boyfriend and best friend of course. I might not even tell my other friends because I'm afraid of what they might think of me.

No one has treated me differently at all but I did recieve ONE "look" from someone but they changed their "ways" pretty quick! LOL I feel it's a personal choice if you want to tell or not. I have found that through me being so open and honest about it A LOT of friends/co-workers and such have contacted me and said they have always though about it but didn't actually know anyone to talk to about it! I have always been a VERY OPEN person about EVERYTHING in my life though!

I don't volunteer the information, but if someone asks I tell the truth. I have nothing to be shamed of and I am very proud of how far I have come.

I told my husband, kids and certain other immediate family members and a few select co-workers, 4 of them actually. two are good friends and the other two I just felt comfortable letting them know. So far i don't regret telling any of them, they have all been extremely supportive, even sending me e-mails each day checking in on me. I go back to work on Monday and I may decide to eventually tell others but that will be up to me, I don't want it broadcast around the building. I don't need others judging me.

I didn't tell anyone about my surgery. I wouldn't tell them any other medical aspect of my life, why should this be any different. I can't help but think that people would treat me differently. I don't feel the need to explain my weight loss attempts and failures to the world. I'm a pretty private person. I just don't want the added stress. My husband and son are the only ones that know and that works fine for me. I think it just depends on your personality type. Best of luck on your weight loss jouney :)

I've told people close to me: family, friends, and fellow volunteers (I'm retired). I have got a few comments, but I deal with them as I go. IMHO, it's easier to learn to deal with comments now, pre-surgery because after the weight starts to fall off people are sure to ask questions and make comments, whether or not you tell them.

Here are some answers:

Why don't you just diet, eat less, exercise more, join Weight Watchers.....

I really wish I could have lost the weight without surgery, but I have been trying for years and I haven't been successful. Surgery has the highest success rate for weight loss. I want a chance to be old and I want to be healthy now.

Don't have surgery, it's too risky, scary, dangerous.....

Every surgery has risks. This is done laprosopically so it's less invasive than older methods. Being overweight is much riskier to my health than this surgery.

Why are you having surgery? You're not that fat....

Thank you! Many people are more overweight when they decide to have the surgery, but I qualified according to the standards my insurance company set. I can't wait to see how much better I feel without the extra weight I am carrying now.

Lucky you! You get the easy way out...

Haha. I wish it were an easy way out. It is anything but easy, but it has the highest weight loss success rate.

Oh! You will be skinnier than me, men will be all over you....

I'm not doing this because of my looks. I'm doing it for my health. I want a chance to be old and I want to be healthy now.

Lynda

Some people I told, some I didn't. I've had a couple of people (even somebody in my family) act a little different, but that is their problem, not mine. You won't be surprised to know, they are both overweight. All my thin friends who are thin, are my cheerleaders! Go figure! Many are very, very interested, want to know all about the sleeve, everyone knows and has heard of the other two, but this is something new'ish. I told one person from high school, but all in all, I've told quite a few I guess, everyone in the family knows, all but one are thrilled and have followed my progress closely.

No one has treated me differently at all but I did recieve ONE "look" from someone but they changed their "ways" pretty quick! LOL I feel it's a personal choice if you want to tell or not. I have found that through me being so open and honest about it A LOT of friends/co-workers and such have contacted me and said they have always though about it but didn't actually know anyone to talk to about it! I have always been a VERY OPEN person about EVERYTHING in my life though!

I kept a pretty tight "inner circle" prior to my surgery, partly because I was concerned about people's reactions and I was still struggling with the idea that I was resorting to this myself. I didn't want negative comments (even well-intentioned ones) to get into my head and cause doubts. It wasn't until after I spent some time studying (and navigating this forum) that I started to come around to the notion that doing this is NOT giving up...it takes a lot of courage to wake up and realize that you need this, and then follow through!

I have a few friends and family members that have had WLS, and did so with a little more fanfare (facebook updates and such). I'm not much of a self-promoter, so I'm still quiet, but I don't hide the fact that I've had the surgery from anyone. I figure soon enough the word will spread or it'll become more obvious with my weight loss.

Either way, it's a very personal choice and whatever you do will ultimately be right for you. I'm happy with the way I handled mine, and don't really think I'd do it any differently even if I got more confident in it at an earlier time. As long as you are doing it for yourself and have faith in you, the rest will take care of itself...

Hi Finding Me - Hey, it's not 'giving up' at all. Anyone who says we're taking the 'easy way out' - I hardly think major surgery having approx. 85% of our stomachs removed is 'the easy way out' - but if they think that, so what!! I personally think popping a pill or pushing away from the table is easier, but whatever! We still have to make changes and really, nobody on the 'outside' except those closest to us, knows what it takes. In Texas, the little town I lived in for 20 yrs before leaving, WLS is practically a status symbol. You know, vanity and Texas go hand and hand....women and men!! :D

I kept a pretty tight "inner circle" prior to my surgery, partly because I was concerned about people's reactions and I was still struggling with the idea that I was resorting to this myself. I didn't want negative comments (even well-intentioned ones) to get into my head and cause doubts. It wasn't until after I spent some time studying (and navigating this forum) that I started to come around to the notion that doing this is NOT giving up...it takes a lot of courage to wake up and realize that you need this, and then follow through!

I have a few friends and family members that have had WLS, and did so with a little more fanfare (facebook updates and such). I'm not much of a self-promoter, so I'm still quiet, but I don't hide the fact that I've had the surgery from anyone. I figure soon enough the word will spread or it'll become more obvious with my weight loss.

Either way, it's a very personal choice and whatever you do will ultimately be right for you. I'm happy with the way I handled mine, and don't really think I'd do it any differently even if I got more confident in it at an earlier time. As long as you are doing it for yourself and have faith in you, the rest will take care of itself...

I chose only to tell those in the beginning that had a real interest in whether I lived or died really. That included no one at work except 2 of my closes confidante's which I trusted them 100%. The reason is that I've gone through this before. I had the lap band and I told *everyone* about my surgery. I was not expecting for it not to work for me, so when I started to struggle and gain my weight back it became a real nightmare for me. I just didn't want any added pressures, I wanted to focus on my weight loss, and that alone.

The only other folks that knew were other WLS people - ppl I'd been conversing with for several years.

However, now that I'm almost finish with my journey, I'm pretty much open to answering completely if someone asks how I did it. I've gotten a few strange responses but I really don't care too much. The sleeve worked for me and it saved my life!! How can I *not* be proud of that? Most people are very encouraging and are happy for my success.

Knowing this though, I still wouldn't change a thing. I liked going through my journey in the beginning without all the "how are you doing's" or "how much have you lost now" or any other silly questions that always seem to play a role when others know I had WLS.

i was just sleeved monday, but have known for 8 months i was having it done!

i have chose to tell only my husband because people are so ignorant about the surgery and it really pisses me off! they talk so negative about it and think it is an easy way out. i have not even told my family or mother!!

i may one day, but as for now, i will not.

i have lost a significant amount of weight prior to my surgery, which gives me a very short goal to acheive. i do not think that continuing on the weight loss path is going to be too suspicious to people.

i think that telling or not is a very personal choice and nobody can decide that but you.

best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

Kelly :D

I am getting the VSG and I was wondering if I should tell people that I am having WLS? Or should I keep it to myself? Did people treat you differently because you had WLS to help you lose weight? I am wondering if you told people about your WLS and if you regret it? I am thinking about keeping it a secret besides telling my parents, boyfriend and best friend of course. I might not even tell my other friends because I'm afraid of what they might think of me.

I just tell people (if they ask) I'm doing a low carb low calorie diet, which is what I'm actually doing!