Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Gastric Sleeve Journey What A Nightmare

Hello Everyone,

I am a 37 year old female who had 100lbs to lose that chose Gastric Sleeving. I wish I would have never chose this procedure as its been quite a journey. I had the operation on Oct 14, 2010, this was a same day out patient surgery. I had to be kept overnight as I was not feeling well. I immediatly started vomiting blood and to my surprise had to be taken back into surgery as I had a liter of blood in my abdomen. I was given 2 pints of blood and sent home 3 days later with a clean bill of health. I went home and for the five days I was home I was sick each day running a fever and I spoke with the doctor daily who told me this was normal and just prescribed me pain medicine as I was in horrible pain. On the fifth day I could not get out of bed and my husband had to call 911. I was admitted to the local hospital and diagnosed with a septic infection through my body. If I would have waited an hour later the doctors said I would have passed away, very scary as I am a mother of four little children oldest 10. I was in ICU for 6 weeks straight. I was isolated for the infection and had to have stents put in as I developed a leak on the staple line from the septic infection. Well the stents that where given to me should have been replacable and I was inserted with non-replacable stents, what a nightmare my skin grew through these stents and 3 surgeries and numerous procedures later they finally got the stents out, they almost ripped the esophogus out while trying to remove the stents, I had 2 stents placed on my leak. Its now May 2011 and I am right were I started with a leak. I do have a drain that was inserted and have had it in since Oct 2010. The surgeons are pulling it back slowly to see if the leak will close on its own. I sure hope this works. I have a upper GI scheduled for Thursday this week to check the leak. I am sure its still open as my JP is draining anywhere from 15-20cc of Fluid a day, however much better than before it used to be 100cc of fluid before the inched the drain out a little bit. I can go on for days about everything that happened, however I figured I would condense what happened to mte. I am still battleing the leak and hope it will heal soon. I pray for everyone that this has happened to. I would like to see if this has happened to anyone else and there is a light at the end of the tunnel they where healed.

All the best Gabriella

OMG Gabriella...I am SO sorry to hear of your horrifying experience! I know there have been others who have posted about complications so hopefully some folks will jump in and share their experiences with you. I will keep you in my thoughts and send healing vibes your way. I'd like to rant about the doctor who told you what you were feeling was "normal" but I won't go down that path!

Take care of yourself!

I also am sorry to hear you had such an awful post-op experience, but where in the world did you go that this surgery was done as 'same day out patient surgery'? That in of itself sounds very bizarre and fly-by-night.

So sorry Gabriella! I haven't had surgery yet but have an appointment with a surgeon on Wednesday. I'm going to really think through this. I've been looking for people who've had complications but for the most part, some have complications but not like what you've had. Mostly what you hear about are the very positive happenings after surgery. These are the things that need to be heard. I have been more scared for the long term what ifs. This is a reminder that this is very serious. I'm scared to death of this surgery and just not sure anymore. Thanks for telling your story.

So sorry Gabriella! I haven't had surgery yet but have an appointment with a surgeon on Wednesday. I'm going to really think through this. I've been looking for people who've had complications but for the most part, some have complications but not like what you've had. Mostly what you hear about are the very positive happenings after surgery. These are the things that need to be heard. I have been more scared for the long term what ifs. This is a reminder that this is very serious. I'm scared to death of this surgery and just not sure anymore. Thanks for telling your story.

to the person concerned with VSG, i havent had any complications whatsoever (surgery 12 days ago), i didnt even have any pain until i returned home and it was only as if id done crunches at the gym, just muscle soreness. i did however do alot of research on my doctor, he works at one of the top 100 clinics in america and has 20 yrs experience and 0% mortality rate, they even told me they havent had ANYONE come back with problems from VSG only minor complications with gastric and lap band.

which makes me wonder which doctor you saw that you had so much trouble gabriella and im very sorry to hear all of that, sounds as if he was inexperienced. i really hope everything gets better for you very soon.

Sorry you had a tough postop. I hope mine is done with no unusual problems. I know how skeptical you must be feeling, yet once you heal and weight lost, I bet you will do lots better. Take care, Gabriella!

Hi, I am so sorry to hear what a rough time you have been and still are going through. You might want to a KKB she too had a leak and is finally all healed.

I guess there isn't much to say, I wish you all the best and hope everything is going to get back to normal for you as soon as possible.Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am so sorry to hear about all that you have gone through. There are

people on this board who have had leaks but it's not many compared

to the majority of us who have had very successful surgeries.

I hope and pray that you recover and get well soon.

Gabrielle, I'm so sorry to hear of the awful complications you have experienced. It sounds like you've been through a terrifying ordeal.

I hope you're feeling much better soon and that you can put all of this behind you.

Take care and keep us updated on your health. :rose:

I am so sorry Gabrielle. But thank you for sharing your story so others who are beginning their journey as well know just how serious this surgery is and the risks that are associated. I'm sorry you had to go through this, sounds like a complete nightmare.

I truly hope you come out of this 100% and can live a completely healthy life. I had a patient (who happened to be a physician) go through with the surgery and experienced the same thing you did. Was quite amazing to see how motivated he was to want to get through it. Please stay positive, and you and your family will be in my thoughts.

Wow, what an ordeal! I hope that this bad part of your journey is coming to an end for you soon. Thanks for sharing your story. We all need to hear the good, bad and ugly to be reminded that things can go terribly wrong.

Dear Gabriella, you are in my thoughts and I'm wishing you well. Please get well soon, and STAY STRONG! You have so many reasons to get through this. Just know that all of us here are pulling for you. Please also update us on your condition whenever you feel up to it.

Big hugs!!!

Bless your heart. I thought my leak was bad. It seems you have been through one tough time. So glad you are doing some better. I just got my drain taken out today. My journey hasn't been as rough or long as yours, but tough all the same.

It is a scary thing and makes you think twice, but it does get better. I am praying for you and your family.

Hello Everyone,

I am a 37 year old female who had 100lbs to lose that chose Gastric Sleeving. I wish I would have never chose this procedure as its been quite a journey. I had the operation on Oct 14, 2010, this was a same day out patient surgery. I had to be kept overnight as I was not feeling well. I immediatly started vomiting blood and to my surprise had to be taken back into surgery as I had a liter of blood in my abdomen. I was given 2 pints of blood and sent home 3 days later with a clean bill of health. I went home and for the five days I was home I was sick each day running a fever and I spoke with the doctor daily who told me this was normal and just prescribed me pain medicine as I was in horrible pain. On the fifth day I could not get out of bed and my husband had to call 911. I was admitted to the local hospital and diagnosed with a septic infection through my body. If I would have waited an hour later the doctors said I would have passed away, very scary as I am a mother of four little children oldest 10. I was in ICU for 6 weeks straight. I was isolated for the infection and had to have stents put in as I developed a leak on the staple line from the septic infection. Well the stents that where given to me should have been replacable and I was inserted with non-replacable stents, what a nightmare my skin grew through these stents and 3 surgeries and numerous procedures later they finally got the stents out, they almost ripped the esophogus out while trying to remove the stents, I had 2 stents placed on my leak. Its now May 2011 and I am right were I started with a leak. I do have a drain that was inserted and have had it in since Oct 2010. The surgeons are pulling it back slowly to see if the leak will close on its own. I sure hope this works. I have a upper GI scheduled for Thursday this week to check the leak. I am sure its still open as my JP is draining anywhere from 15-20cc of Fluid a day, however much better than before it used to be 100cc of Fluid before the inched the drain out a little bit. I can go on for days about everything that happened, however I figured I would condense what happened to mte. I am still battleing the leak and hope it will heal soon. I pray for everyone that this has happened to. I would like to see if this has happened to anyone else and there is a light at the end of the tunnel they where healed.

All the best Gabriella