Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Postop Gas Pains vs Food 48 Hrs Before Surgery  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Postop Gas Pains vs Food 48 Hrs Before Surgery

• I had a last supper but had no/little pain from gas
    • I had a last supper and had a lot of pain from gas
    • I stayed on a liquid diet up to surgery and had no/little pain from gas
    • I stayed on a liquid diet up to surgery and had a lot of pain from gas
    • I am not banded yet, but still have a lot of gas. Does that count?

So tell us true. Did you do a last supper? Was it the day before surgery? Did you have really bad gas pains? Or no problems whatsoever? Did the gas last for days? I am trying to figure out if there is a connection between the two. Its not like they giving you an enema before surgery. You may have some food waste still inside. And surgery to the gut shuts down the digestive system for a period of time. The walking stimulates it. The gas pains might be a result of "last supper" syndrome and I really want a last supper but I want less pain more.

So dish. so to speak. What did you eat 24 hours before surgery? 48 hours before surgery? And what was your gas pain level?

I had a last supper of gyros the night before I had surgery and I had NO gas whatsoever after I was banded. Maybe I'm a freak? LOL!

Yeah I guess I am meaning stomach pain and plain old farting. Burping would be easy for me to handle. I am the type that needs to spend the evening in the bathroom if i have gas, cause I am too ladylike to even do that aorunf my husband. when our kids were born and i was still in bed i would make him leave the room when i felt gas coming on. lol

I had a last supper, but it was probably a day or two before surgery. My doctor didn't require a pre-op diet, just the usual not eating before surgery rules. I had little to no pain at all.

Those who had a last supper, can you share what you ate? Just in case it was gassy foods that you ate...that might contribute too. Like I really really want refried Beans right now? LOL That might cause a bit of gas.

I had sushi and sashimi, and later a yogurt cup with fresh fruit, honey and granola and a double shot of Scotch neat....I had horrible gas after surgery, I'm 2-1/2 weeks post-op and still have gas.....so I'm sure it wasn't the food. The Recovery nurse told me it was the anesthetic (sp), that it affects a lot of people that way.

What's wrong with farting in front of your husband?....mine sure doesn't pinch them back! I wonder if the Queen farts in front of the Duke?

Carol

I had to have 1 day Clear Liquids before surgery. Surgery was on Tuesday and last supper was on Sunday. I went to bar-b-que place and had ribs, onion rings, cole slaw. It was yummy.

I had no gas for several days and then slight left shoulder pain. After I would apply heat to it for a while I would expend some gas. Never in front of anyone, not even DH. I don't do that either. :eek: (Isn't it funny that men don't understand why. They think that is a natural thing to do.)

I think it has to do with how much gas they pump into you during surgery rather than the foods you eat before. After surgery you are eating pretty bland so foods wouldn't cause the gas.

Well, my last supper was 3 days before surgery and was approved by my surgeon as it was my anniversary. I had a steak and baked potato and potato skins and lots of other appetisers, and cheesy garlic bread and lots of it. I think I ate around 5000 calories that night, oh and don't forget the chocolate cake. I was not on a liquid diet but an 800cal diet. He did say not to go overboard, but I did anyway :eek: I did have 3 days in between though where I was on my diet between last supper and surgery. I had very little gas pains, I instead had a lot of pain from the fixing of my haeatal (sp?) hernia.

dear funnyduddies,

i was on a strict liquid diet 2 wks prior to surgery. yes, i had a lot of gas pains post-op. my surgeon did tell me that he inserts approx 3 liters of gas into the abdomen during surgery for visual purposes. although they do their best to remove a lot of this gas by placing the patient basically on their head prior to completing the surgery, they are not always able to remove all of it. this being said, it is amasing to me how some people have no problems at all with any gas. i, on the other hand, felt pregnant for approx 2 weeks. i also took a few doses of m.o.m.

the first wk after surgery along with a stool softner twice a day. Constipation was not an option at that point. hope this is helpful. good luck with your surgery. take care & god bless, p.j. robinson.

p.s. just have a lot of gas-x & tums available at all times.

Funnyduddies did you not read on why you may be a bandster that when you pass gas just say Thank You God instead of excuse me. So go ahead in front of Rob and he will just think they messed with your head while in surgery. Good luck on your surgery and I can't wait for you to get it. it's wonderful.:eek:

Funny,

I ate like crazy! I ate dinner at the resturant across from the Lucerna Hotel in Tijuana. Drank lots of beer and ate chips up to 10:00 pm! Have had gas pains since my surgery 6/20. Gas is up in my shoulders! Gasex did not help me ......... Doing lots of walking.

I had no last supper. I had a subway wrap for lunch the day before and no dinner at all, nerves I think. I had nothing but coffee and Water the day of and had my surgery at 2:00. So I was truly on a pretty empty system and had the gas for about 2 weeks. It isnt so much intestinal gas I have heard, but the CO2 they use to inflate your tummy...they release as much as possible before closing you up, but the remainder just has to work its way out. I also weighed on the 3rd day and was 6 lbs heavier than presurgery, due to all the I.V. fluids and swelling I assume.

I did liquids and had my "last supper" a week before surgery. I am really glad that I stuck to the liquid diet, but it wasn't just for the gas pains I was not going to risk damage to my liver from it being fatty.

I had no problems with gas, walk ALOT is all I can say.