Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post-op

I am 6 month post-op today. I was hoping this would be a happy post about an awesome weight loss total, but it's not. I am trying to stay positive, but its so hard. I gained a half pound last week, and this week I will probably gain too. I weigh in the morning. Well, it's 420am right now,but I will weigh when I wake up. I have been exercising (walking), so not sure if that has caused this gain. I have been eating really bad stuff, and that is more likely the cause of the gain. I haven't had a stall once, so maybe thats what this is. I have never even stayed the same weight in a week. I just let myself have a "free" day on Monday's after I weigh, and that was the start of my downfall. Then it would be monday and tuesday, then monday, tuesday and wednesday. I think you get the point. Now I can't get back on track. I try to have healthy foods in the house, but I will eat tons of that too. Even if I eat something healthy like grilled chicken breast and broccoli, about 35-45 mins later I am hungry. Not sure if it's true hunger though, but it sure feels like it. I can't even have Protein Bars in the house because I will eat 2-3 at a time, and all that Protein can't be good for you. I think I am just bored. I work part time as a nanny, so I don't work many hours out of the day. I spend a lot of time in bed. I just feel tired a lot, but probably because I sleep too much. I have had bloodwork and everything is perfect. My Vitamin D was super low, but it has been for years. I am taking a supplement now for that. I need to change these bad habits and I need to fast, or I am going to gain all my weight back :( So, if anyone has any tips on how to get back on track, please let me know. I am open to most anything :) Thanks!

Sarah, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS for 1) making the century club 2) reaching the 6 month milesone 3) having perfect lab work!!! You have acheived so much!!!

Now it's time to get your head screwed on straight. You are over halfway to goal. You need to sit down and have a little chat with yourself about where you have come from and where you want to be. You know this takes hard work, dedication, effort and yes a fair amount of willpower. The first couple of months is when the weight is dropping faster than you can blink, you know that goes away and it only gets harder the further you get from your surgery date and closer you get to goal. Make the most of this time. I think maybe you should try the 5 day pouch test (google that, can't remember if it is 5 or five) where you basically revert back to your immediate post-op plan. You do liquids for a day or two, then add back in mushies and finally solids. It can clear your system of the carb monster and reorient your thinking. I have not done a full pouch test, but I have done a day of liquids when I think that I'm feeling true hunger, and every single time I've done it (2 times since surgery) I am reminded that NO, I'm not feeling true hunger, because if I can survive a day of liquids and not feel hunger pangs, then what I was feeling was just the WANT to eat more, not the true NEED to eat more.

You know I am here for you anytime...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

My first thought is that it sounds like your just eating to eat. Nothing can help with that except discipline and determination. It's a mind twist, and I recommend having a menu set, and designated time to eat. Start tracking your food intake and stick with the plan. I know it's easier said than done, but if you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen.

Protein bars are typically full of carbs and sugar alcohol which can cause more cravings for carby stuff. If you're hungry within 30-45 minutes of eating, are you still on a PPI? If not, acid overproduction could be the culprit. While acid overproduction is sometimes resolved by 6 months post-op, you might be one of us that need to be on a PPI. But, if it's head hunger, or just mindless eating, then you'll have to battle the mental aspect of eating.

You've done amazingly well thus far, don't toss out the last 6 months now by being careless and going off plan. I live by the mantra of "just because I can, doesn't mean I should". I can eat every hour on the hour if I wanted to, but I make the conscious effort to eat scheduled meals, measured portions, and still eat Protein first 85% of the time.

I agree with the above poster regarding the 5 day pouch test. I know several people that have used it to get back on track. Or, you can back to strict low carb, high protein, and have some accountability on what's going in your mouth.

Sarah, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS for 1) making the century club 2) reaching the 6 month milesone 3) having perfect lab work!!! You have acheived so much!!!

Now it's time to get your head screwed on straight. You are over halfway to goal. You need to sit down and have a little chat with yourself about where you have come from and where you want to be. You know this takes hard work, dedication, effort and yes a fair amount of willpower. The first couple of months is when the weight is dropping faster than you can blink, you know that goes away and it only gets harder the further you get from your surgery date and closer you get to goal. Make the most of this time. I think maybe you should try the 5 day pouch test (google that, can't remember if it is 5 or five) where you basically revert back to your immediate post-op plan. You do liquids for a day or two, then add back in mushies and finally solids. It can clear your system of the carb monster and reorient your thinking. I have not done a full pouch test, but I have done a day of liquids when I think that I'm feeling true hunger, and every single time I've done it (2 times since surgery) I am reminded that NO, I'm not feeling true hunger, because if I can survive a day of liquids and not feel hunger pangs, then what I was feeling was just the WANT to eat more, not the true NEED to eat more.

You know I am here for you anytime...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

It DOES Get so much harder the farther out you get! I knew this wouldn't be easy, but damn, its harder than I thought! I am glad I have you as an email buddy! IT does help!

I have tried the 5 day pouch test before, but can't get past a day of it. I will try it again, starting tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes!

My first thought is that it sounds like your just eating to eat. Nothing can help with that except discipline and determination. It's a mind twist, and I recommend having a menu set, and designated time to eat. Start tracking your food intake and stick with the plan. I know it's easier said than done, but if you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen.

Protein bars are typically full of carbs and sugar alcohol which can cause more cravings for carby stuff. If you're hungry within 30-45 minutes of eating, are you still on a PPI? If not, acid overproduction could be the culprit. While acid overproduction is sometimes resolved by 6 months post-op, you might be one of us that need to be on a PPI. But, if it's head hunger, or just mindless eating, then you'll have to battle the mental aspect of eating.

You've done amazingly well thus far, don't toss out the last 6 months now by being careless and going off plan. I live by the mantra of "just because I can, doesn't mean I should". I can eat every hour on the hour if I wanted to, but I make the conscious effort to eat scheduled meals, measured portions, and still eat Protein first 85% of the time.

I agree with the above poster regarding the 5 day pouch test. I know several people that have used it to get back on track. Or, you can back to strict low carb, high protein, and have some accountability on what's going in your mouth.

Thanks for the great advice. Tiff. I am going to set a menu, I think that will help somewhat.

I am currently taking Nexium. I have been on it for years. He took me off it post-op, not sure why, but the reflux was still there, and I have been back on it for months now.

I never really counted carbs and was losing before. But, maybe I need to watch them now! At least to get back on track.

I checked the Protein Bars, they have 2g of sugar. But what is sugar alcohols? It does say it contains that. But, I am not buying anymore, because I think they only make me hungry.

Thanks!!

It DOES Get so much harder the farther out you get! I knew this wouldn't be easy, but damn, its harder than I thought! I am glad I have you as an email buddy! IT does help!

I have tried the 5 day pouch test before, but can't get past a day of it. I will try it again, starting tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes!

You can do this, you still have the tool that helped you lose 100+ pounds. I'm going to join you in trying to get back to 3 meals and no grazing!!! We can do this!