Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last night I was wanting some bread quite badly as I have not had any since before surgery in January. I found a recipe on The World According to Eggface that used Protein powder and multigrain pancake mix in small quantities. It sounded like it would taste good and certainly would have more Protein than something I would buy in a store, so I made it. It cooks in the microwave so it was done in about five minutes. I cut a small slice (about half an ounce) and gave it a try.

It tasted fine but felt awful in my stomach, like a big ball sitting in there. I measure my food and don't eat until I am full so I can honestly say that this is the first time I have felt what restriction is--a tightness and discomfort in my stomach. Stupidly, I tried to wash it down with a small sip of Water (so glad I didn't take a big swallow) and I swear I could feel it expand inside. All in all, a very uncomfortable half-hour until the feeling went away. I won't be doing that again. Too bad, it tasted pretty good. However, bread, waffles, cake, English muffins--well, all baked goods, really--were some of the foods that got me fat, so maybe it is a blessing that I can't eat them anymore.

I know how you feel. I miss breads so much too! And I am only a month out! I have eatin things that I am not supposed to really be eating lately.... a bite here and a nibble there. Everytime I do it I get this weird feeling inside my stomach. Just like you explained. It is NOT worth it for sure. It is such an awful feeling and then to have to suffer through it for 30 minutes or so is miserable! I have decided not to nibble and pick anymore but strickly stay and do what I am supposed to do. But I do get those cravings for sure! Maybe a year down the road those food will be able to rest easy inside. But I am sure glad we cant tolerate them now because that will help us out in the long run!!!

why not try making oopsie bread? its made with 3 eggs, cream cheese and cream of tartar. Its a low carb (less than 1 gram) and about 85 calories. You can even make it with low fat cream cheese if you're worried about that too.

Good luck to you. I love bread too.

Ingredients

• 3 large eggs
    1 packet of Splenda
    1 dash
salt
1 pinch cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese

Direction

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together.

In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture).

Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Ingredients

• 3 large eggs
    1 packet of Splenda
    1 dash
salt
1 pinch cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese

Direction

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together.

In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture).

Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Thank you! I want to try it when I get to that stage. Now I am only 1 week post-op.

Wow, I am going to make some of that tonight! I am dying without bread right now. I miss it just for my egg salad.< /p>