Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I can eat more than I should

I'm 4.5 months out and usually can't finish two eggs, and that's fried (which for me are easier than scrambled). Let' along with a whole piece of toast...and that's a lot more than I was able to eat at 3 weeks. It seems that you two are going to need to be more vigilant about stopping early. The restriction is more like a stick that hits you (and sometimes quite hard) if you over do it. And restriction comes most from Proteins that are harder to process (rather than tortilla chips, etc. that "slide" down in). But the surgery is not just restrictive, so use all the tools, and perhaps supplement will power for what is apparently less restriction than most of us.

BTW, I'm not sure that these bougie sizes are necessarily as standardized as we'd like. The bougie, as I understand, is like a template or a mold, but I imagine that there is a lot of play in the surgeons' hands that is involved. It's not like the bougie stays inside you.

You hit the nail on the head with the bolded statement. Every surgeon's technique is different, every patient's stomach length is different, Some surgeons give me room at the pyloric valve than others. There is not a standardized technique for the sleeve. There's differing opinions, and experiences. The bougie is just a tool they slide down our throats to guide the stapler. It still falls on the surgeon to measure out the proper amount of stomach tissue to remove. The difference between a 32fr and a 40fr bougie is a mere 2.3mm so that is not going to make a hill of Beans when it comes to how much food we can fit in. Surgical technique and patient's own anatomy plays a much larger role in final stomach capacity over bougie size.

At the end of the day, it really boils down to making the best food choice, eating measured portions, and doing your best with what your stomach capacity allows. Staying within the prescribed dietary guideline is key to long term success. The sleeve will only do so much, just like the RNY pouch, or band.

I too started my soft food stage a few days early this afternoon. I had 2 scrambled eggs and 1 1/4 pieces of toast and thought it was a lot!! I do think I ate too much because later I felt a smidge too full.

Tomorrow I am going to begin my journaling and measuring to keep close tabs on what I eat. I just thought that was a lot for my first soft food meal. Does anyone have any sample menus with portion sizes (Tiff)? :P

Also, skinnyagain and I have the same doc and both of us had the 36 bougie. But I really think the size difference from a 32 to a 36 couldn't be that big of a difference, right? Very interesting. I had read some where that the bougie is measured in french measurements so I'm not sure what that compares too...size wise. Anyone have a clue? Doc said is was such a small difference, but I have no clue how the sizes compare.

I think it might be a bit much cause I had my surgery a week before you and I can eat maybe 3/4 an egg and one bite of toast max before being stuffed (we are all SO different though). Tiff says it might be that you can't tell when you are full yet so it IS best to measure for now. Although, I have so much restriction, I honestly couldn't get that amount of soft foods down even if I couldn't tell I was full. They would just sit in my throat.sad.gif And that is a double edged sword right now, because I have to eat very often to get any decent amount of calories in. I can barely get 400-500 in right now and it is slowing my weight loss down. My surgeon says I need at least 600 up to 800 right now.

I also would love some sample menus with portion sizessmile.gif

So is it more important for us to pay attention to portion size vs. calorie intake amounts at this point? I do feel like I consumed more than I should have even though I was not really over full. But I had already planned to log my food and measure it out as well. The fore mentioned meal was my first of this soft food phase, yesterday.

So I think I am beginning to get the concept of eating until not hungry (tummy hungry), instead of eating until full. It is such a learning curve. But I'm in it to win it!!

Eye on the prize, Violet! Eye on the prize! Which is a healthier, thinner me!!

Thanks guys!! I would so be lost without you all!! :)

Hey thanks so much guys I do believe I get it now Measure, measure ,measure. I am going to look at all the food ideas given on this forum and rethink this eating thing. I want my tool to work for me and I will do what ever it takes to make that happen. I know that my tummy does seem to hold more in the evening like I have seen many people post. My plate last night for dinner was a very small plate. It was one of the plates you could fit a piece of cake on. But the content of food just seemed large. So for now on I will measure and use my same small plate. Any ideas for food would be great. Thanks again to everyone. I couldn't do it with out your wisdom and advice..

That does seem like a LOT of food for being so early out.

I'd suggest measuring your food and only eating what you pre-measured.

I pulled my paperwork out for the soft food stage the doc's office gave me. It says:

Soft Solid Stage: (3-4ozs per meal) day 21-42

and at the bottom it says:

Servings listed below are only estimates. You may be able to eat more or less! Guess I need more clarity on this statement.

Breakfast: -1/2 cup total (4 oz)

Egg or egg whites

Toast

OR

2% string cheese

Natural applesauce

Lunch: - 1/2 cup total (4 oz)

Low fat deli turkey breast

Green Beans

Mashed sweet potatoes

OR

Canned tuna in Water

2 crackers

Dinner: 1/2 cup total (4 oz)

Baked fish

Cooked carrots

Green beans

OR

Lean ground beef/turkey patty (use caution)

Canned peach half

Thanks again guys for all your knowledge and advice!:D