Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLICATION DONE BY DR ROD ON 3-25-2011..HERE IS MY STORY

Hello Everyone!

I had plication surgery this past Friday, in Juarez, Mx, with Dr. Rodriguez. I wanted to post as soon as I was out of surgery but, Lord knows on this day five post surgery, I can barely muster up the strength to post now. For those interested or considering going to Mexico, I would like to outline my experience in this topic. I want to give the kind of info I was looking for before going to Mexico:

THE TRIP:

I had extreme reservations about traveling to Mexico by myself. Most people I asked said I should be fine alone and only a couple said take someone with you. I also was worried about transport to and from El Paso into Mexico. Well, the driver called me on my cell just as we were landing to tell me he was outside baggage claim. He told me what he was wearing and everything. It was a 35 minute trip across the border to the hospital with no problems at the border patrol. The van was older and needed shocks because I felt every bump in the road. No problem with this going to the hospital but sure didnt appreciate it coming back after surgery. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TAKING SOMEONE WITH YOU IF FOR NO OTHER REASON YOU WILL HAVE THE SUPPORT OF SOMEONE TO HOLD YOUR HAND,RUB YOUR BACK, PRAY WITH YOU, COMFORT YOU, HELP YOU WITH YOUR BAG (even a bag on wheels is too much to deal with coming back)AND JUST SPEAK ENGLISH TO YOU.. TAKE SOMEONE..THE HOSPITAL HAS ACCOMODATIONS IN YOUR ROOM FOR A GUEST. Oh, I felt very safe with the travel and my hosptial stay.

THE HOSPITAL:

Star Medical hospital was absolutely gorgeous; very modern, neat and VERY CLEAN. Most of the nurses were male nurses.. Though their English wasnt perfect, they certainly were able to understand me and communicate with me. For some reason the day time nurses seemed more accomodating then night nurses. The night nurses seemed like they were bothered if i rang for them. For the most part, I give the nurses an 7.5 out of 10.

THE DOCTORS:

Dr. Calderon met me in admitting. In fact, he did most of the paperwork with me... He was always accessible and explained everything and answered all my questions. He has a warm and sincere spirit. He came to my room to check on me..I saw him when I was walking the halls.. he met me in Xray.. man he was everywhere I was. Dr. Solis, the anesthesiologist, was not only beautiful, but she spoke great English, answered all my questions and asked me several questions.. I felt at ease with her. I was able to barely say my prayer before I was out like a light. Dr. Rodriguez was very personable .. came to my room before surgery, spoke with me and answered all my questions. He made me tell him the kind of surgery I was getting because he didnt want me to be confused about anything. He was a great doc.. Only saw him that one time prior to surgery though. The docs get a 9 out of 10 in my book.

THE MEDICINE:

i dont care what anyone says.. the medicine in Mexico is NOT THE SAME AS IN THE USA. Any pain meds they gave me did not ease pain. The medicine for nausea did not ease the nausea and the meds for gas were and absolute joke. The sent me home with something for reflux that was supposed to be similar to Prilosec...yeah right... took it 3 times and had to send for some Previcid which gave almost immediate relief. They sent me home with a couple boxes of "pain medicine" which i put straight in the trash can. Thank God for my hypocondriac (sp?) family members that had plenty of Darvocet for me. The meds in Mexico I rate a 0 out of 10.

THE GAS:

I dont know wth kinda of gas or CO2 comes out of Mexico but I have never, and I mean NEVER, in my life experienced anything like it.. Gas everywhere in my body! all over my back, my shoulders, under my breast.. Man. I really thought I was gonna die the first 12 hours after suregery! AND I AM NO STRAGER TO PAIN..HAD THREE BABIES, NATURAL WITH NOTHING... I could not get any relief from the meds they gave me, from walking nothing.,, Oh and that GAS X save your money.. This "mexican gas" laughs at Gas X and does the Marcarena in your body while it is laughing at you and those strips. Day two was not much better.. I could not get comfortable for nothing and even though I was so weak, I forced myself to walk but nothing..aboslutely nothing as far as relief.. this is day 5 and I still have severe gas pain right now, as Im typing. Honestly, this gas pain had me to the point that I regretted surgery.. THATS HOW BAD THE GAS IS!

If you cant tolerate excrutiating gas pain, you might want to think twice about surgery, or at least surgery in Mexico, maybe it is better in the US. I dont know.. I fear NOTHING IN THIS LIFE DUE TO MY SPIRITUALITY. But even the thought of the gas pains I experienced while in Mexico brings shivers to my body.. I DONT EVER WANT TO GO THRU THAT AGAIN!

POST SURGERY:

I have mixed emotions. Though I am close to GOD, this surgery has brought me closer. I swear I have had moments that all I can do is fall on my knees and beg for his mercy to give me relief. The gas, the irritability. the inability to sleep more than 2 hours at a time.. Just second guessing myself and overall misery. Im weak, cant even walk around my house without getting winded. I have a pain in my chest, between my breast , that I assume is gas, but I dont know.. Learning to sip is still new to me.. my throat wants to be quenched so bad but i accidentally gulped a lil bit of Water and had chest pains that made me almost call 911, not to mention I threw up profusely.. Oh didnt mention it THAT THE FIRST TWELVE HOURS AFTER SURGERY, I THREW UP EVERY HOUR.. I have to stay on Clear Liquids until this Friday but my granma has convinced me that I need to start the protien drinks now for energy or the lethargia will continue.. Im trying to do what the doctor said and wait till Friday but something tells me that tomorrow, Thursday, I will be on these shakes. sometimes you have to just use common sense and listen to your body.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN:

Cant objectively say so right now because I am in too much pain from gas but i will say this: DAY OF SURGERY (five days ago) I WEIGHED 222.4LBS. this morning i weighed 210.0! SO 12.4 LBS GONE IN 5 DAYS MAKES ME WANT TO STOP WHINING ABOUT THE GAS PAIN!

I hope this info helps someone. Like I said.. it is the info I was looking for before my surgery.. I want to report back on Friday which will be 1 week post op. If you are a BELIEVER, PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!

Thanks for listening to me!

Texas Diva

Oh Diva~

Sorry you are having a difficult time with the recovery period. I agree that the gas pains can be nasty!! I also threw up quite a bit the day of surgery - I always have a bad reaction to anesthesia so I expected it. I was on clear liquid for only 2-3 days after surgery, then full liquids starting on day 3 after surgery. I was eating chicken Soup broth with all the good stuff strained out! wink.gif I went to Mexican restaurants and order caldo de pollo (chicken soup) and ate the broth. On day 5 I started mixing about 1 teaspoon of Beans with 1 teaspoon of broth and it was like heaven and I felt sooo much better after that!

Get yourself some Isopure or other clear Protein Drink, this will help your energy level as well.

Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

Oh Diva~

Sorry you are having a difficult time with the recovery period. I agree that the gas pains can be nasty!! I also threw up quite a bit the day of surgery - I always have a bad reaction to anesthesia so I expected it. I was on clear liquid for only 2-3 days after surgery, then full liquids starting on day 3 after surgery. I was eating chicken Soup broth with all the good stuff strained out! wink.gif I went to Mexican restaurants and order caldo de pollo (chicken soup) and ate the broth. On day 5 I started mixing about 1 teaspoon of Beans with 1 teaspoon of broth and it was like heaven and I felt sooo much better after that!

Get yourself some Isopure or other clear Protein drink, this will help your energy level as well.

Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

THANKS GENEPHA:

Today is almost over, but tomorrow, I will definately be on broth, Protein Drinks, etc. I will try my best to follow the doctors orders, but I do have to listen to my own body. Thanks a million!

Ugh, those gas pains were atrocious and I was almost ready to march right back into that surgery center and have them remove every last stitch! Thank goodness it passed and could stop fretting over my decision! Glad to see you are on the way up girly!

Ugh, those gas pains were atrocious and I was almost ready to march right back into that surgery center and have them remove every last stitch! Thank goodness it passed and could stop fretting over my decision! Glad to see you are on the way up girly!

Thanks Oliva...most of the gas has passed..Im at work again today, hoping I can stay the whole day.. I had some broth last night and a protien drink this morning..though I am technically 1 day early on starting the Protein drinks.. I already feel better.. at least I could walk from the parking lot into the office building without feeling like I was about to pass out..So, I guess that alone is improvement... Congrats on your success too,, I see that ticker is steadily moving! Keep it up!

Sorry you had such a hard time, I also had my surgery with Dr Rod, I had the VSG and for me the gas was not that bad, thank god!!

I totally agree with you on the pain meds, they were the worst!!! I did take some Vicodin with me, and after 2 days of pain I finally was able to take a real pain pill and that was good.

I had no problems in Mexico except for the english barrier with the nurses.

I had no sickness and not to bad of gas, but I also got the VSG not the plication.

I hope you are doing well now.

Take care, God bless, LIsa

Sorry you had such a hard time, I also had my surgery with Dr Rod, I had the VSG and for me the gas was not that bad, thank god!!

I totally agree with you on the pain meds, they were the worst!!! I did take some Vicodin with me, and after 2 days of pain I finally was able to take a real pain pill and that was good.

I had no problems in Mexico except for the english barrier with the nurses.

I had no sickness and not to bad of gas, but I also got the VSG not the plication.

I hope you are doing well now.

Take care, God bless, LIsa

THANKS MS LISA..IM DOING BETTER..I AM 18 DAYS POST SURGERY.. CLOTHES FALL OFF OF ME BUT THE scale IS NOT MOVING LIKE I WANT IT TO BUT I HAVE DEFINATELY LOST SOME WEIGHT.

Hello Everyone!

I had plication surgery this past Friday, in Juarez, Mx, with Dr. Rodriguez. I wanted to post as soon as I was out of surgery but, Lord knows on this day five post surgery, I can barely muster up the strength to post now. For those interested or considering going to Mexico, I would like to outline my experience in this topic. I want to give the kind of info I was looking for before going to Mexico:

THE TRIP:

I had extreme reservations about traveling to Mexico by myself. Most people I asked said I should be fine alone and only a couple said take someone with you. I also was worried about transport to and from El Paso into Mexico. Well, the driver called me on my cell just as we were landing to tell me he was outside baggage claim. He told me what he was wearing and everything. It was a 35 minute trip across the border to the hospital with no problems at the border patrol. The van was older and needed shocks because I felt every bump in the road. No problem with this going to the hospital but sure didnt appreciate it coming back after surgery. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TAKING SOMEONE WITH YOU IF FOR NO OTHER REASON YOU WILL HAVE THE SUPPORT OF SOMEONE TO HOLD YOUR HAND,RUB YOUR BACK, PRAY WITH YOU, COMFORT YOU, HELP YOU WITH YOUR BAG (even a bag on wheels is too much to deal with coming back)AND JUST SPEAK ENGLISH TO YOU.. TAKE SOMEONE..THE HOSPITAL HAS ACCOMODATIONS IN YOUR ROOM FOR A GUEST. Oh, I felt very safe with the travel and my hosptial stay.

THE HOSPITAL:

Star Medical hospital was absolutely gorgeous; very modern, neat and VERY CLEAN. Most of the nurses were male nurses.. Though their English wasnt perfect, they certainly were able to understand me and communicate with me. For some reason the day time nurses seemed more accomodating then night nurses. The night nurses seemed like they were bothered if i rang for them. For the most part, I give the nurses an 7.5 out of 10.

THE DOCTORS:

Dr. Calderon met me in admitting. In fact, he did most of the paperwork with me... He was always accessible and explained everything and answered all my questions. He has a warm and sincere spirit. He came to my room to check on me..I saw him when I was walking the halls.. he met me in Xray.. man he was everywhere I was. Dr. Solis, the anesthesiologist, was not only beautiful, but she spoke great English, answered all my questions and asked me several questions.. I felt at ease with her. I was able to barely say my prayer before I was out like a light. Dr. Rodriguez was very personable .. came to my room before surgery, spoke with me and answered all my questions. He made me tell him the kind of surgery I was getting because he didnt want me to be confused about anything. He was a great doc.. Only saw him that one time prior to surgery though. The docs get a 9 out of 10 in my book.

THE MEDICINE:

i dont care what anyone says.. the medicine in Mexico is NOT THE SAME AS IN THE USA. Any pain meds they gave me did not ease pain. The medicine for nausea did not ease the nausea and the meds for gas were and absolute joke. The sent me home with something for reflux that was supposed to be similar to Prilosec...yeah right... took it 3 times and had to send for some Previcid which gave almost immediate relief. They sent me home with a couple boxes of "pain medicine" which i put straight in the trash can. Thank God for my hypocondriac (sp?) family members that had plenty of Darvocet for me. The meds in Mexico I rate a 0 out of 10.

THE GAS:

I dont know wth kinda of gas or CO2 comes out of Mexico but I have never, and I mean NEVER, in my life experienced anything like it.. Gas everywhere in my body! all over my back, my shoulders, under my breast.. Man. I really thought I was gonna die the first 12 hours after suregery! AND I AM NO STRAGER TO PAIN..HAD THREE BABIES, NATURAL WITH NOTHING... I could not get any relief from the meds they gave me, from walking nothing.,, Oh and that GAS X save your money.. This "mexican gas" laughs at Gas X and does the Marcarena in your body while it is laughing at you and those strips. Day two was not much better.. I could not get comfortable for nothing and even though I was so weak, I forced myself to walk but nothing..aboslutely nothing as far as relief.. this is day 5 and I still have severe gas pain right now, as Im typing. Honestly, this gas pain had me to the point that I regretted surgery.. THATS HOW BAD THE GAS IS!

If you cant tolerate excrutiating gas pain, you might want to think twice about surgery, or at least surgery in Mexico, maybe it is better in the US. I dont know.. I fear NOTHING IN THIS LIFE DUE TO MY SPIRITUALITY. But even the thought of the gas pains I experienced while in Mexico brings shivers to my body.. I DONT EVER WANT TO GO THRU THAT AGAIN!

POST SURGERY:

I have mixed emotions. Though I am close to GOD, this surgery has brought me closer. I swear I have had moments that all I can do is fall on my knees and beg for his mercy to give me relief. The gas, the irritability. the inability to sleep more than 2 hours at a time.. Just second guessing myself and overall misery. Im weak, cant even walk around my house without getting winded. I have a pain in my chest, between my breast , that I assume is gas, but I dont know.. Learning to sip is still new to me.. my throat wants to be quenched so bad but i accidentally gulped a lil bit of Water and had chest pains that made me almost call 911, not to mention I threw up profusely.. Oh didnt mention it THAT THE FIRST TWELVE HOURS AFTER SURGERY, I THREW UP EVERY HOUR.. I have to stay on Clear Liquids until this Friday but my granma has convinced me that I need to start the protien drinks now for energy or the lethargia will continue.. Im trying to do what the doctor said and wait till Friday but something tells me that tomorrow, Thursday, I will be on these shakes. sometimes you have to just use common sense and listen to your body.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN:

Cant objectively say so right now because I am in too much pain from gas but i will say this: DAY OF SURGERY (five days ago) I WEIGHED 222.4LBS. this morning i weighed 210.0! SO 12.4 LBS GONE IN 5 DAYS MAKES ME WANT TO STOP WHINING ABOUT THE GAS PAIN!

I hope this info helps someone. Like I said.. it is the info I was looking for before my surgery.. I want to report back on Friday which will be 1 week post op. If you are a BELIEVER, PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!

Thanks for listening to me!

Texas Diva

HELLO! For those reading this...not every experience is the same! The nurses were all helpful...you do throw up after surgery...I did, but not every hour...maybe a total of 6 times in three days. The pain meds and nausea meds worked great for me..but I take absolutely no other medications at home, so maybe things work stronger for me. No appetite in the hospital. Some pain but not excrutiating or anything. One thing I did that I think helped A LOT was ..while I was in bed I would bring knees to chest one at a time like I was walking only more of a bend than if on my feet...and burp burp burp..got rid of a LOT of gas...also, pressed into left shoulder...gas there too..burp burp burp. I felt sickly in the hosp...spiked a fever a few times...a shower worked well. It was surgery after all..but not all that painful...for me.You forget why the pain, and then walk and voila! Could lift my suitcase easily leaving the hospital..was surprised at that! The hospital IS gorgeous...and only saw Dr Rod once, just before I went under before surgery. Dr C was very helpful.Just thought I would write this..as all experiences are different. From April 1(10 days preop)to April 18th down 21 pounds...will weigh again on Wednesday April 28 or whatever...

Went to work one week after surgery (surg on Sat so the following Monday..10days) ...felt yucky a bit. Back ache from sitting. A bit woozy now and then...had a lot of that after surgery....but second day, perfect.

so thats the scoop.

HELLO! For those reading this...not every experience is the same! The nurses were all helpful...you do throw up after surgery...I did, but not every hour...maybe a total of 6 times in three days. The pain meds and nausea meds worked great for me..but I take absolutely no other medications at home, so maybe things work stronger for me. No appetite in the hospital. Some pain but not excrutiating or anything. One thing I did that I think helped A LOT was ..while I was in bed I would bring knees to chest one at a time like I was walking only more of a bend than if on my feet...and burp burp burp..got rid of a LOT of gas...also, pressed into left shoulder...gas there too..burp burp burp. I felt sickly in the hosp...spiked a fever a few times...a shower worked well. It was surgery after all..but not all that painful...for me.You forget why the pain, and then walk and voila! Could lift my suitcase easily leaving the hospital..was surprised at that! The hospital IS gorgeous...and only saw Dr Rod once, just before I went under before surgery. Dr C was very helpful.Just thought I would write this..as all experiences are different. From April 1(10 days preop)to April 18th down 21 pounds...will weigh again on Wednesday April 28 or whatever...

Went to work one week after surgery (surg on Sat so the following Monday..10days) ...felt yucky a bit. Back ache from sitting. A bit woozy now and then...had a lot of that after surgery....but second day, perfect.

so thats the scoop.

WOW BIZZY:

Im so glad you had such a WONDERFUL experience in Mexico. You are right, everyone's experience is different. Perhaps you should have started your OWN TOPIC about your surgical experience. Im sure people would love to expound on it.

too funny...hope your day is great Mrs. Diva. looking forward to going to see dr.. rod and thanks for your story...i think it helps to see some not so good and some good...that way i dont get it in my head one way or another just that everyone is different and i hope im posting that i was on the good side...have a great day and glad your feeling better

WOW BIZZY:

Im so glad you had such a WONDERFUL experience in Mexico. You are right, everyone's experience is different. Perhaps you should have started your OWN TOPIC about your surgical experience. Im sure people would love to expound on it.

thank you! Every one has a valid story to tell..for sure! Not to discredit anyone's experience!!!...need the Water now though...had that dratted 3 week stall..grrr.

too funny...hope your day is great Mrs. Diva. looking forward to going to see dr.. rod and thanks for your story...i think it helps to see some not so good and some good...that way i dont get it in my head one way or another just that everyone is different and i hope im posting that i was on the good side...have a great day and glad your feeling better

HELLO KERRY!

My day is going perfect. Got on the scale this morning and I am still losing so I am very happy. Im am sure you will like Dr. Rodriguez and the staff at Star Medica.. if thats the hospital you are going to. Im sure your experience will be a good one. I wanted to be honest about my experience.. Mind you when I started this topic.. I was fresh out of surgery.. Of course, with time, things are getting better. Im sorry that my story isnt a fairytale from beginning to end like some people, but I am sure that there are more people out there with stories like mine. Those considering GPS or any WLS should be able to come to this board and hear everyone's story. Sorry, I just keep it real like that. Good luck!

Texas Diva

Hey Texas Diva...girl do not apologize...i appreciate ANY story anyone has to offer on this site,,,there is no place better that to be real here. Nothing but the truth...reguardless if its bad or good. I enjoy reading everyones story here. thank all of you for making this forum what it is...im sure one day i will have some insite for a new person that is about to fulfill a dream. ive been dreaming for about 10 years now and its about to come true here on May 9th. I am so excited. and i truely believe that i made an awesome decision to go to dr. Rod. and yes i am going to Star Medica. Although it may not be in the best of cities i dont plan on venturing out into the town...maybe one day i can go into Mexico where it is not so dangerous but i am going there strickly business....i was very appreciatine of your honesty and we should all be honest..THank you so much girl!!!

HELLO KERRY!

My day is going perfect. Got on the scale this morning and I am still losing so I am very happy. Im am sure you will like Dr. Rodriguez and the staff at Star Medica.. if thats the hospital you are going to. Im sure your experience will be a good one. I wanted to be honest about my experience.. Mind you when I started this topic.. I was fresh out of surgery.. Of course, with time, things are getting better. Im sorry that my story isnt a fairytale from beginning to end like some people, but I am sure that there are more people out there with stories like mine. Those considering GPS or any WLS should be able to come to this board and hear everyone's story. Sorry, I just keep it real like that. Good luck!

Texas Diva

Hey Texas Diva...girl do not apologize...i appreciate ANY story anyone has to offer on this site,,,there is no place better that to be real here. Nothing but the truth...reguardless if its bad or good. I enjoy reading everyones story here. thank all of you for making this forum what it is...im sure one day i will have some insite for a new person that is about to fulfill a dream. ive been dreaming for about 10 years now and its about to come true here on May 9th. I am so excited. and i truely believe that i made an awesome decision to go to dr. Rod. and yes i am going to Star Medica. Although it may not be in the best of cities i dont plan on venturing out into the town...maybe one day i can go into Mexico where it is not so dangerous but i am going there strickly business....i was very appreciatine of your honesty and we should all be honest..THank you so much girl!!!

Well Kerry, you have 7days before you got Mexico.. You will feel safe crossing the border and at the hospital. Like you, of course, I never left the hospital so I cant say one thing about the city of Juarez. I know that now, 6 weeks post op and down 25lbs, I can say that Im glad I had the surgery. Im glad to have had it with Dr. Rodriguez. He and his staff are excellent. Its just that my post surgical experience was not that great. Kerry, if I can give you some advice, please meditate and wrap your mind around the fact that your life is about to change greatly, your relationship with food is about to change and your relationship with yourself is about to change. I wish you all the best. ALL THE BEST. Please let me know how it goes for you.

Misti

Thank you Misti...i am getting so nervous...lol i think i havnt felt this feeling in a long long time. not this exact feeling but the excited jitterz...thanks girl and i will let you know how i do and good job on your weight loss..thats awesome and i hope to have good results as well...i do have a question...do you feel like you have good amounts of energy yet...like to work out or go to the gym maybe Zumba which is my fav...lol

i really do enjoy working out and sweating and feeling better and im hearing alot that people just cant yet.. i thought id ask you being your at 6 weeks