Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Slip an Unfilled/Never-Been-Filled Band???

Oh, the journey of life--an unexpected blessing has come my way. At only 6 weeks or so post-op, I discovered I was pregnant--not in my plans for the future AT all. I am now almost 9 weeks.

I was well on my way--had lost 25 lbs. without my first fill yet. Of course when I discovered I was pregnant, I realized I would not be getting a fill for a long, long, time--probably not until 6 weeks after the baby's born.

So--I've been fighting hunger again. I've been slipping back into bad habits: drinking with meals, drinking some carbonation, eating until I am slightly too full...sometimes I do this because I truly feel so down about what is happening--don't get me wroing, I'm thrilled about the new life in me, but I was just so ready to get this weight off...

So---to my question---is it easier to slip a filled band or an unfilled band???

I just want to keep this band so badly. I don't want to cause harm to it, so that I can never get a fill--or cause so much harm that I have to have removed before I could even start the real weight loss.

I'm not overeating to the point of being sick--I'm just eating way, way more than I did in the beginning after surgery. I haven't vomitted AT all during this whole process--surgery, post-op, early pregnancy, etc.

Help! :)

Gee, I just read this, I'm looking into the slipped threads. I don't have any idea, but just thought it needed to be bumped so that maybe you would get a response. Good luck and congrats on your new blessing!

Samantha

It might be a doctor C question. If you post it to "lapband complications", she will answer. My guess is if you take care of yourself and don't vomit too much you should be fine. Good luck. Wow, what a surprise!

Thanks for the responses--I thought this post was lost forever. :)

I've not vomitted once during since banding--not even while pregnant--I don't see to vomit easliy, which is a good thing.

I just want so badly to keep this band in good shape so that when I do get my first fill--about 9 months after my band surger :)--that it will work!

We'll see...

It's easier to slip a filled band than an unfilled band.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Oh, the journey of life--an unexpected blessing has come my way. At only 6 weeks or so post-op, I discovered I was pregnant--not in my plans for the future AT all. I am now almost 9 weeks.

I was well on my way--had lost 25 lbs. without my first fill yet. Of course when I discovered I was pregnant, I realized I would not be getting a fill for a long, long, time--probably not until 6 weeks after the baby's born.

So--I've been fighting hunger again. I've been slipping back into bad habits: drinking with meals, drinking some carbonation, eating until I am slightly too full...sometimes I do this because I truly feel so down about what is happening--don't get me wroing, I'm thrilled about the new life in me, but I was just so ready to get this weight off...

So---to my question---is it easier to slip a filled band or an unfilled band???

I just want to keep this band so badly. I don't want to cause harm to it, so that I can never get a fill--or cause so much harm that I have to have removed before I could even start the real weight loss.

I'm not overeating to the point of being sick--I'm just eating way, way more than I did in the beginning after surgery. I haven't vomitted AT all during this whole process--surgery, post-op, early pregnancy, etc.

Help! :)

Dana,

I don't mean to be nosy or force my opinion onto you, but why were you not on some sort of birth control to prevent pregnancy? Especially if you are implying that you want to get the weight off? I don't want to come off as if I am trying to judge you, I was just wondering. Because if you are truly wanting to lose weight after the baby is born who is to say that you may not get pregnant again and slip right back into old habits?:)

In the seven years I've been married, my husband and I were able to prevent pregnancy and get pregnant when we chose. We used alternative birth control (natural). My husband was in the process of researching a vasectomy when I got pregnant this last time.

I guess losing the 25 lbs made me, oh, slightly more fertile. We are educated people here--I have a master's; my husband a bachelor's (we know how babies are formed); however, people make mistakes. Things happen. I don't believe this baby is a mistake, though. I think all things happen for a reason.

My husband WILL have a vasetomy this fall--but even that is not 100% effective--nothing is except abstinence.

So, I venture on and live by faith that all will be well.

:)In no way did I mean to imply that you or your husband were too ignorant to prevent pregnancy, and if you took it that way I will apologize for that. :embarassed:Alternative birth control is cool, and I can understand why you and your husband would choose that. So, good luck with your sunshine and we can keep in touch through here if you'd like.:)

Oh, no, you didn't offend me.

When I first found out, I cried and cried--felt very stupid. What kind of idiot gets pregnant right after WLS? My husband was angrier with himself than anything. But, now, I've come to terms and am thankful God has given me another wonderful gift.

I can't help hope that--and who knows--that God allowed this for a reason and that when I do get my fill six weeks after the baby's born, it will work better than if I had gotten it six weeks after my surgery.

So far, I've not gained any weight--I'm almost 11 weeks. My doc. said that because I'm oveweight, I could actually lose up to 50 lbs in this pregnancy and still deliver a healthy baby. Fifty pounds sounds a little much to me, but he's the doc.

I'll just be happy if I don't gain any weight during the nine months. Doc. says as long as I am eating 1800 healthy calories, the baby will get what s/he needs.

Have a great day!

Hi there and congratulations on the pregnancy and the 25lbs lost - you know the band is for life so you'll have plenty of time to get back on track. i absolutely love lapbandtalk but i've also heard of another site that might be helpful to you now .... it's on yahoo.com under groups and if you put in pregnancy and bandster - there are a few groups for pregnant bandsters. you might find more specific support from others in your condition that would be helpful. Take care! mary

I just wanted to make sure that everything was alright. The last thing that I wanted to do was offend anyone on this website. Many blessings for your soon-to-be here child.

I'm soooo excited for you! I too cried and cried when I found out that I was pregnant the last time. I found out the day after my husband has his vasectomy! I cried because, besides already having 4 boys, I was looking forward to WLS and I knew it wasn't going to happen for a while.

We decided that it was divine intervention and that it just wasn't my time for the band. My boy number 5 is the light of my life and I can't imagine life without him!

Good luck and enjoy!