Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin D (DRISDOL)

So I had my 4 month check up. I'm down around 120lbs and pretty much everything was good except my Vitamin D levels, which were 6.1 ng/ml (as opposed to a normal range of 30-100 ng/ml). The doctor prescribed DRSIDOL 50,000 units, which, um, seems pretty strong. Anyone familiar with this medicine and any side effects?

Thanks.

Hi,

I was put on a 4 week course of the 50k unit Vitamin D. My levels weren't as low as yours, but I have to take one of the Vitamins once a week for 4 weeks and then transition to the regular D over the counter Vitamin after that. I am 2 weeks into the bigger vitamin and haven't noticed any side effects at all. Luckily it is a very small gel-cap and is easy to swallow. It is fat-soluble so you have to take it with fatty food or milk.

Nothing to worry about :-)

Lara

My Vitamin D does not stay up unless I do the 50,000 once a week. I was taking 2,000 per day for months and it did not go up at all. The 50,000

once a week brought it up to 80.

I had the same dose for 10 weeks, did not have any side effects. Seams like the Dr's are having everyone take now..

Hi,

I was put on a 4 week course of the 50k unit Vitamin D. My levels weren't as low as yours, but I have to take one of the Vitamins once a week for 4 weeks and then transition to the regular D over the counter Vitamin after that. I am 2 weeks into the bigger vitamin and haven't noticed any side effects at all. Luckily it is a very small gel-cap and is easy to swallow. It is fat-soluble so you have to take it with fatty food or milk.

Nothing to worry about :-)

Lara

ditto

i take Vitamin d3-50 by biotech pharm. its 50k also its great for you. i order it on Amazon..

So I had my 4 month check up. I'm down around 120lbs and pretty much everything was good except my Vitamin D levels, which were 6.1 ng/ml (as opposed to a normal range of 30-100 ng/ml). The doctor prescribed DRSIDOL 50,000 units, which, um, seems pretty strong. Anyone familiar with this medicine and any side effects?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I've been taking it once a week for the last few weeks and havent had any side effects (other than my general discomfort with taking any medicine!). Will find out in a few weeks if it helped my Vitamin D levels came back up.

Thanks.

I've also been taking it, thank goodness! Did you know that low levels of vit D are associated with all kinds of diseases, such as Coronary Artery Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis, and other auto-immune diseases? not to mention increased infections and VIRUSES/COLDS!! too many people are NOT being diagnosed with low vit D3 levels! we, as Americans, do not get enough sunlight, outdoors, where it is produced in our skin, and then, our food is too overprocessed. The Vitamins we take OTC are not as well absorbed as we all thought, and those old fashioned warnings about overdosing on Vit D were unfounded, (apparently) in the old days they used to try and scare people with some studies? Probably more folks "out there" (non-bariatric) should be?? taking this vit supp and should be tested as a "routine", especially the middle age group, over 50+..

I've also been taking it, thank goodness! Did you know that low levels of vit D are associated with all kinds of diseases, such as Coronary Artery Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis, and other auto-immune diseases? not to mention increased infections and VIRUSES/COLDS!! too many people are NOT being diagnosed with low vit D3 levels! we, as Americans, do not get enough sunlight, outdoors, where it is produced in our skin, and then, our food is too overprocessed. The Vitamins we take OTC are not as well absorbed as we all thought, and those old fashioned warnings about overdosing on Vit D were unfounded, (apparently) in the old days they used to try and scare people with some studies? Probably more folks "out there" (non-bariatric) should be?? taking this vit supp and should be tested as a "routine", especially the middle age group, over 50+..

hmmm.....maybe I can ask my Insurance to cover my next trip to the Caribbean. I need all the sunlight to increase my Vitamin D levels!