Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tried Zumba today...

I've been wanting to try Zumba for about a year. The gym I currently belong to doesn't offer it at many locations or times I need so I haven't been able to try a class. I have done the Zumba videos but really wanted to try a class. I used to be a on the dance team in high school and currently take Swing dance lessons with my husband (for fun and because we have a plus size Rockabilly, Swing clothing line) so I think I can follow dance instructors pretty well. I told the ladies around me that it was my first time and that I might crash into them. They were super nice about it and even showed me a few quick moves before the class started. The instructor was great and the class was very fun and energetic! I did the whole 60+ minute class and kept up pretty well but now I am super sore!!! My calves are killing me. I walked around the block tonight to see if I could stretch my legs a bit and ease the pain but no, they still hurt - but it's a good kind of hurt!! I was goin gto try to go to the Zumba clas tomorrow @ 9 am but my calves might tell me something different in the morning. I'll see how I feel. Overall, I really liked Zumba and think it's a great class, even for beginners. It would have been fun to have a friend with me so we could've messed up together!

Take care,

Sounds awesome! I've been thinking about trying Zumba but wanted to wait until I lost more weight. You have convinced me to give it a try... I found a class on Sunday morning and I think I'll check it out! Thanks!!

Isn't it a BLAST?!? I went to my first class Monday afternoon and absolutely loved it. The only things I wasn't thrilled about were that it's inside a roller rink (not a problem in itself) and the lighting was dim, and my eyes are very blurry in dim light. Plus the instructor didn't introduce herself or even greet me, even though there were only about 10 people there and she couldn't have missed me. But, it's only 10 minutes from home and I fully intended on going back Wednesday and getting the 10-session package.

BUT, then I found out that a gal from my brother's class in high school, who's danced forever, has won awards, has been teaching forever, has a class that's 12 minutes from here, and cheaper. OMG, what a difference.... it's in an old Arthur Murray building so it's an actual dance studio. Beautiful wood floor, good lighting, mirrors all around... I danced for years as a kid and it just felt good being in there. Plus, SHE was very friendly and fun, other people in the class introduced themselves, and I just had a great time. This class is Zumba Toning, which is still latin dance-based, but they also use these weighted, elongated dumbbell like things to incorporate a lot of upper-body toning while you're dancing, and a lot of lunging and squatting. Oh, and the "sticks" as they call them, have little beanies in each end, so as you're moving with the music they rattle like marraccas! It's a riot.

OMG, I'm rambling...sorry, I'm not even through my first cup of coffee this morning so hopefully this has been at least marginally coherent. :D

Anyway, I'm off to class in a little while--Saturday class is 90 minutes, WOOO!!! ZUMBA ROCKS!!

Have a great day everyone!

Stacy,

Yes it is so much fun!

I didn't go this morning cause I'm still sore from yesterday but I will definitely be back. I really want to try the XBox Kinect and I heard the WII has Zumba also. I like the idea of being able to do Zumba in my own living room. But I totally agree that there is something great about being in a dance studio again!!

You are doing fantastic with your weight loss!

Take care,

I tried Zumba for the first time last week too! Loved it! I am not sure if I looked like I was having a seizure or dancing, but either way I burned lots of calories!!!

Yeah! I'm going back today. I've been to Zumba about 3 times and I really like it. I've discovered that the instructor makes a big difference and I've already found my favorite! My city offers a Zumba class once a week at a park - I'm going to try that one too.

Olivia - You are doing great!!