Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aretha Franklin

She did say she had surgery that the doctor said would take years off of her life. She did not say what surgery. SInce she denied the bypass that leaves two!

I would love the stigma to be removed. She could do so much for others if she would be upfront about it.

She admitted to bypass in a 2007 interview in Glamour magazine.

My guess is she had a sleeve. I know years ago she talked about a friend or family member who had bypass and died and was always adamant that she would never do it. I think it was the media who came out with pancreatic cancer I don't believe it was ever officially confirmed by her.

She admitted to bypass in a 2007 interview in Glamour magazine.

Aretha? I don;t think she did....she just said he did not have a bypass.

Aretha? I don;t think she did....she just said he did not have a bypass.

hahaa, sorry bout that, Meggiep, I was thinking Star Jones.

I have no idea what Aretha did. biggrin.gif

Gosh, Raven Simome is TINY nowblink.gifI had not seen those pics till I saw them here.

Aretha does NOT have cancer. That was a misreporting done by somebody in the press.

Really? You wonder why she wants to keep it a secret? Just like a lot of us want to on here. Don't need the s**t that goes along with people knowing your business. Your damned if your fat and your damned if you had weightloss surgery. You just can't win. I don't think she had the band, too much weight too quickly.

You're kidding, right? Do a goole search. How old are you, fifteen????? :)

Who is arethea franklin? don't even know her. . .

Isn't Jennifer advertising for WW? I thought I'd seen her in commercials.

My first thought, upon hearing her interview, was she may not have had bypass, but she definitely had bariatric surgery. I just don't get why she feels the need to stay in the closet about it. It will be nice for all when these interventions are taken for the wonderful medical advance they are and the stigma is removed. I'm the type who tells everyone and can care less what the naysayers have to say. Once I arm myself with the facts and make up my mind to do something it's a done deal. So, it's hard for me to understand the people who want to hide it. I respect their wishes, just don't understand it.

On a side note, there was speculation that Jennifer Hudson went that route too. Jen's story was a little more believable to me than Aretha's. Although, others are not as convinced.... http://www.bittenand...r-photos-video/

I've lost 50 lbs twice on WW and 50 lbs once on Medifast....and yes, of course gained it back, then some eventually. Once you get back to your 'normal' way of life, back it comes, it creeps back up on you in no time just like any other diet we've all been on. We won't even talk about any of the pills we've taken over the years. Scary!!!!!!!!!!! No more. I'm in control now, and love it!

Either that or Medi-Fast. You can lose that fast on a complete liquid diet too... though she never claimed that either. No one can lose on salads alone, that's just all Water...

I thought I'd seen an interview or read an article where she'd said she'd had surgery but NOT RNY/bypass. I thought the same thing, sleeve or band and I rule the band out just because it usually takes longer to lose with it, or at least with the people I personally know it has taken longer. I just figured she'd have "our" surgery. :)

She did say she had surgery that the doctor said would take years off of her life. She did not say what surgery. SInce she denied the bypass that leaves two!

I would love the stigma to be removed. She could do so much for others if she would be upfront about it.

She probably is...due to night work I DVR everything, so I'm notorious for fast forwarding through the commercials. I was aware that Valerie Bertinelli had become a spokesperson for Jenny Craig. She's looking phenomenal! Then again, I always thought she was a very pretty woman. Hope she keeps it off. Poor Kirstie Alley...now she should be the poster child for the diet carousel (lose, gain, lose, gain more, round and round). Kirstie could be the queen of my world and I one of her followers..sigh. But, that's soon to end...come on August!!

Isn't Jennifer advertising for WW? I thought I'd seen her in commercials.

Gosh I love Kirstie! I admire her trying so hard for so long, but come on Kirstie. You aren't getting any younger and it only gets harder! But her religion probably has something against WLS. Too bad.

She looks fantastic! Good for her. Maybe she will out herself further down the line.

OK, Aretha was on the View today. She said her weight loss WAS from the surgery but she did not have bariatric surgery!? So, what other surgery causes such drastic and quick weight loss? Maybe she had gastrectomy due to other health reasons, ulcers, etc.? Whatever. She looks great and still sounds amazing! I just wish her continued health and many more years of entertaining. Long live the Queen of Soul!

Well if she did have bariatric surgery I wish her well, and if she didn't I wish her well too and will certainly keep her in my thoughts that she overcomes her health issue totally.

I've been a fan of the Blues Brother's movie for years now and catch it whenever it airs. One of my favorite scenes (besides the Nazi's getting run off the bridge :rolleyes: ) is Aretha's scene doing Think!