Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. C - What does happen?

Specific pre and post op liquid/mushy diet requirements vary from surgeon to surgeon; would you give an opinion on why this is?

Also, I read an earlier question about eating a more solid food ahead of schedule after surgery. I think we all know the diet phases are designed for healing and then weight loss, but can you tell us more specifically the things that can happen if you eat solid foods too soon?

Thanks Dr. C!

The reason it varies from surgeon to surgeon is that it's more of an art than an exact science. There also may be differences in how surgeons place their band (e.g. how much fat they peel away before they lock the band down making it looser or tighter).

The reason for it is that there is always some post-surgical swelling of the tissue inside the band. This gives you the same kind of restriction as if you had a fill in your band, only it's the swollen stomach tissue pushing out instead of the band pushing in.

The sutures that are placed to make the "belt loops" to hold the band in place can easily come out if stressed too much. If you break the rules and get a big old hunk-a-steak stuck in there and start forcefully vomiting, you might rip out the stitches and end up with an early slip.

Hope that all makes sense!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I am one of the foolish that ate solid food ahead of schedule, only 8 days post op, it went down/through with no problems at all, and I'm back on schedule doing what my Dr. recommends. My question is if I felt no complications from eating that solid food, everything felt normal eating wise (a bit fuller perhaps, but no pain) could I have somehow damaged myself anyways and not felt it? Or does the damage come from vomitting? (travelling/vacationing on the east coast of Canada, and I'm afraid the fresh lobster broke my resolve, I've got it out of my system now though - after eating half a 3 pound lobster!)

In my opinion (just an opinion) if you caused some damage you would have had some kind of pain or forceful vomiting.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I am one of the foolish that ate solid food ahead of schedule, only 8 days post op, it went down/through with no problems at all, and I'm back on schedule doing what my Dr. recommends. My question is if I felt no complications from eating that solid food, everything felt normal eating wise (a bit fuller perhaps, but no pain) could I have somehow damaged myself anyways and not felt it? Or does the damage come from vomitting? (travelling/vacationing on the east coast of Canada, and I'm afraid the fresh lobster broke my resolve, I've got it out of my system now though - after eating half a 3 pound lobster!)

DR. C. i had my band jan 31st. it wasnt long after that i could eat almost anything without any problems , although i have a band, i feel like im doing everything myself to just maintain my weight without losing. my nurse practitioner ( who i see and who does the fills) tells me they dont usually do fills for up to the first year. personally, i feel like this is a terrible business practice to keep me as a paying patient after my global payment expires, ( but thats me being skeptical). however i dont see how the band works without any fills yet. does this make any sense to you or should i consult a new fill doctor? thanks. ROGER-FL.

Not filling a band for the first year is nuts...never heard of that!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DR. C. i had my band jan 31st. it wasnt long after that i could eat almost anything without any problems , although i have a band, i feel like im doing everything myself to just maintain my weight without losing. my nurse practitioner ( who i see and who does the fills) tells me they dont usually do fills for up to the first year. personally, i feel like this is a terrible business practice to keep me as a paying patient after my global payment expires, ( but thats me being skeptical). however i dont see how the band works without any fills yet. does this make any sense to you or should i consult a new fill doctor? thanks. ROGER-FL.

I let patients do light cardio in a week, full exercise in 2 weeks.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

Hi

Just wondering if overeating can really cause the pouch to stretch and or the band to slip.

I've also hear that overeating and the resulting sickness can force some of the stomach below the band to protrude into the pouch. Is this true?

One more question is if the band is stitched to the stomach. How can the band possibly slip.

Thank you for your support.

Laine:)

Yes, overeating consistently and vomiting consistently can stretch the pouch. Stitches are only so strong, just like you can tear stitches out of clothing you can tear them out of the stomach as well!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

Hi

Just wondering if overeating can really cause the pouch to stretch and or the band to slip.

I've also hear that overeating and the resulting sickness can force some of the stomach below the band to protrude into the pouch. Is this true?

One more question is if the band is stitched to the stomach. How can the band possibly slip.

Thank you for your support.

Thanks for replying.

Makes sense for we bandsters to work with our bands and not against them. It seems that some people are constantly challanging the band and seeing how far they can go (how much they can eat without being sick) thus slowly but surely damaging the good work.

Just thought also about the horrid slimy stuff that comes up when a bandster has over eaten (before the food has actually left the pouch) surely that must be necessary digestive juices that should remain where they should be - not constantly brought up by eating too fast or too much.

Just my theory.

Thanks again

DrC,

I was diagnosed with bronchitis a couple of months ago and had a real bad cough. I just knew I was going to cough up my heart or a lung any minute and the Tessalon Pearls prescribed were absolutely no help at all. Anyway, I started thinking, "Man, I wonder what would have happened if I had the band."

Would you shed some light on having the band with bronchitis or even the common cold would be problems that require immediate attention?

Dr. C,

I just wanted to say thanks. I am a non practicing Registered Nurse and I think that it is great that you are helping here. I was banded 4 days ago and I feel great. I pray that it stays that way. No doubt that your patients love you!

weight.png

I don't think coughing would cause any problems with the band, but repeated vomiting if you had some kind of virus certainly could.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DrC,

I was diagnosed with bronchitis a couple of months ago and had a real bad cough. I just knew I was going to cough up my heart or a lung any minute and the Tessalon Pearls prescribed were absolutely no help at all. Anyway, I started thinking, "Man, I wonder what would have happened if I had the band."

Would you shed some light on having the band with bronchitis or even the common cold would be problems that require immediate attention?