Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time throwing up

Hey! guys.

I have a quick question, I am post op a little longer than three weeks. Today was my first true meal, I started with some fish which I thought I chewed up well and some baby carrots that I also thought I chewed up. After two bites i started feeling like the food was stuck in my throat. I had to go to the restroom imminently and threw up. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what can I do to stop it, will this go away....

Any info would be great

I'm sure others will be along soon to chime in.

But at 3 weeks, you're already on "normal" foods? Jealous! I will still be on "pureed" foods at 3 weeks, but after so much liquids, it's wonderful.

Could you have ate too fast? Even with pureed food, I have to make sure to slow down, or I start to feel like I took on too much and feel a little backup in my esophagous (sp?), bordering on nausea, that goes away.

It's annoying to have to wait between bites, after years of not eating that way, but it's for the best!

Omigosh! I was coming to say the same thing! I had fish for lunch and it was "okay" wasn't really tasty. So I finished and ate some rice. I know my stomach was full. I started to have head hunger and I wanted a peice of bignets. I don't know what I was thinking. I felt it get stuck and I had just enough time to make it to the restroom. My stomach was full and didn't want any more

I have to chew and wait now too. It's like "are you full now belly?" but I just pushed too far. We'll get used to it.

Hi - this is interesting for me because my Dr. starts us on regular food after 1 week. But, after reading everyone's posts here, I may take it a little slower than the Dr. says. Maybe you should consider mushing stuff up for a little while? I don't know. I haven't had my surgery yet. I have it on the 8th but my Dr. says that she prefers us to start eating real food asap. Only 1 week on Clear Liquids and then on with the real stuff. We are told small bites and to chew, chew, chew, chew, etc.

You will find some foods go down better than others. They told me if something did not agree with the sleeve or got stuck to leave it and try it again at least a week later.

At three weeks I was on soft foods, yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, puddings. Up unitll 6 weeks out I had to be careful with each new food and take little little bits, chew chew chew and let each bite go down and see how it settled before more food went in the mouth. I had 2 stuck episodes early out at 5 and 6 weeks that resulted in vomiting, just slowing down and watching foods is all to do until you are more healed and less swollen.

i too had issues with fish until just recent and even now still can't eat tuna fish from the can or any kind of salmon. I did find a talapia that settles nicely.

good luck.

Did you lost that 83 lbs. since your surgery on Nov 22? I had mine on the 23rd of Nov and have only lost 40???

You will find some foods gone down better than others. They told me if something did not agree with the sleeve or got stuck to leave it and try it again at least a week later.

At three weeks I was on soft foods, yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, puddings. Up unitll 6 weeks out I had to be careful with each new food and take little little bits, chew chew chew and let each bite go down and see how it settled before more food went in the mouth. I had 2 stuck episodes early out at 5 and 6 weeks that resulted in vomiting, just slowing down and watching foods is all to do until you are more healed and less swollen.

Did you lost that 83 lbs. since your surgery on Nov 22? I had mine on the 23rd of Nov and have only lost 40???

JustFran,

No I did not. Look at my under my ticker. I was at 271 in Jan of last year, I lost 51pounds on my own and with the 2 week pre op. So I am down 33 since surgery..

I am a bit frustrated with that number, but I have been told because I lost before hand my body is fighting me as 33 pounds in 3 months is a lot. I keep reminding myself it took me a9 months to lose 31 dieting and a liquid diet of 2 weeks to lose 20 more.

I just get frustrated for the last month here that I was down to 191, started the birth control pill and shot back up to 195 in less than a week, I quit the pill 2 weeks later and took 3 weeks to lose that 4 pounds I gained in a few days. Now I have hovering at 188-9 and 190 daily . I have been told this is normal, I upped my calories because I was only getting about 550 and I added some Omegas supplements also as my diet was so low fat that can stall you too.

i am just frustrated that every thing was moving so nicely and then now I watch the scale play games daily.

I haven't throw up since I got my sleeve, how was it? Did it feel about the same as throwing up before? I eat slow enough now that I don't think it's going to be an issue, however I'm sure I'll puke again sooner or later.

Hey! guys.

I have a quick question, I am post op a little longer than three weeks. Today was my first true meal, I started with some fish which I thought I chewed up well and some baby carrots that I also thought I chewed up. After two bites i started feeling like the food was stuck in my throat. I had to go to the restroom imminently and threw up. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what can I do to stop it, will this go away....

Any info would be great

Hi Sharona,

This is very common. The best advice to give is if you notice there is a particular food you "throw up" it's best to let it be and come back to it later down the line. I'd even give it 3-4 weeks time. Our stomachs will let us know if its not ready to handle something. It's best at that point to not push it. Vomiting too much might cause other issues you won't want.

Remember to chew as much as you can. When I first started introducing solids back into my diet I took it very slow. I only vomited one time and that was in the hospital the same day as surgery.

Good luck! :)