Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can happen if....

What could happen if someone slacks on the Protein Drinks less than a month out from surgery? I have no excuses except that I forget to make and drink them. And when I do it is maybe once every couple days.

I read a lot of posts and people say that your body don't really start to suffer until your about a month out with little to none protein.. I would highly reccomend that you turn it around and start getting the needed Protein in because it will affect your muscle mass and instead of losing fat weight you will be losing muscle weight. There are soo many foods that are loaded with Proteins (carb master yougurt,greek yogurt,milk, some sugar free puddings. Are you having problems with Protein Shakes? I am on thick liquids and I am only having to drink one Protein Shake a day..

In the worst case over time that muscle can be the heart.

No, no real problems with the shakes except the foam (which I got some help with). I just forget to make and drink em. I am on solid foods now not sure If I am getting in the Protein I need that way or not. I'll just have to find a way to remember and get the habit going (did SO well after surgery)...

Thank you all :D

I think that this Protein powder stuff is way over-rated. I remember someone on here saying that their nutritionist wanted them to EAT not DRINK their calories and Protein. Makes sense to me.

There's never been an adequate definition of "working the sleeve" but part of my definition is filling it with actual food so that I feel full. So, after 45 days or so out, I dropped Protein Powder completely. And I've come to learn that the easiest protein is fish and seafood (tilapia is relatively cheap, I love shrimp too). Seafood is soft, and goes down much easier than chicken. I "supplement" the seafood with yogurt and peanuts and cheese. By eating your protein, I think that you re-establish a healthy eating pattern that you might not have with a bunch of powders, bars, etc.

I've lost muscle, of course, but I've lost a ton of fat too. And I'm guessing that a lot of my muscle was marbled like the best angus beef. The important question is: am I weak and lethargic? Quite the opposite, actually.

I couldnt take it anymore either, I too started to try and use food to take over the shakes... I do have the Unjury I will try and put a little in yogurt, but I try and do the food portion!

I am already trying to get my Protein from my food. And when I am needing a boost I will have a shake. I am on mushies right now so to help I am taking one shake a day. When I am on solid food I will try to get all my protein from food and only if I am low will I supplement with a shake. Even so I could eat half a cup of cottage cheese and get 15g of protein. Just make sure you are getting the minimum of 60 - 70 g of protein.

I was just getting ready to post something similar. I had surgery on Jan 22 and I am down about 35 pounds since then. i see people who went to surgery around the same time and weighed less down at least 10-15 some 20 pounds than me. I never wanted to loose super fast (because of the whole skin thing) but I wanted to be out of the 200's 4 months post op (5 months max). I CAN NOT stand Protein shakes. I have wasted about $200 on different ones and the foam, the smell, everything makes me gag. I do eat a good amount of Protein a day. I eat 2 boiled eggs (12g) 2 Sargento skim milk string cheese (16g) I drink about 12 oz of skim milk (15g) and then Water protein I eat for dinner usually 1/2 chicken breast (15g) or fish (12g) and most days I have tuna fish thrown in the mix.

I get at least 64 oz of Fluid daily and I work out 40-60 mins.

i knew it was going to be slower for me because I work from home (telecommuting) and spend most of my day in front of a monitor or a conference (video conference) calls.

I read the post of others who are on the fast track and they are downing a Protein shake in the morning and i wonder if that's where I am missing the mark.

I am hoping to lose 15 pounds by April 15. I really just want to be out of thr 240s and close to the 220s so I can stop beating myself up. I feel like that will put me back on track. I am losing inches and a "shape is appearing BUT I really want to well into the 100s when I go on my cruise in November.

I am super psyched that my body is changing and I look/feel better. Not to many people asking questions, but you can't help but to feel a little down when looking at sleevers who went from flab to fab leaving you in the dust.

When I try to do food I can't get enough Protein. I can't get enough protein in. I'm still on 1 shake a day and 1 bar and the rest food. When I wasn't getting enough I was tired, and my muscles hurt. I also had deep tissue pain, bruising, and my hair started breaking off. It was horrible.

HI YA

I LIVE IN SHEFFIELD ,,,ENGLAND

WE WAS NEVER TOLD TO AVE Protein Drinks OR shakes ??????

I AM DUE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL FOR MY FIRST VISIT ON WEDNESDAY , BUT HAVEN'T LOST FOR 3 WEEKS ;0(((

I AM HOPING THEY WILL TELL ME WHAT'S HAPPENING , I AM WAITING FOR A BARIUM MEAL CUS I HAVE VERY BAD ACID ,,,,,,,

GOING TO ASK ABOUT coffee AND eggs WHICH MAKE ME FEEL REALLY I'LL ,

I USED TO DRINK AT LEAST 8 CUPS OF COFFEE PER DAY BEFORE,

:0)))) xxxx

I never could use Protein shakes/drinks/mixes. Either they made me puke, or I couldn't tolerate the smell/texture/taste without wanting to puke. I didn't get in my Protein from food until I hit mushies, and I probably lost a little muscle mass a long the way, but it was better than puking.

My surgeon's guideline back then was "get off Protein drinks ASAP", and we discussed my intolerance for the shakes. He agreed that it was better to get in my calories, and staying hydrated vs. puking up whatever shake I tried. I went through over 20 brands/flavors/varieties and never found one I could tolerate for more than a couple of days.

I never had a stall, nor did my weight loss suffer because of my lack of using shakes/drinks.

What could happen if someone slacks on the Protein drinks less than a month out from surgery? I have no excuses except that I forget to make and drink them. And when I do it is maybe once every couple days.

I really don't know about that cause I had my Protein EVERYDAY up until now and still have all the funky little problems that they said would happen if I didn't have my protein. . .UGH life is so cool!