Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising with Disabilities

Dody, I'm relatively young and dont have arthritis and wasnt even very much overweight in the scheme of things, but I cant tell you how much better I feel in terms of my feet and legs, and just not having niggling back pains etc. It WILL make a world of difference to you.

I used to get up in the morning and barely be able to walk and once I sat down at night after dinner I could only hobble if I got up, it was awful. That's entirely disappeared.

NJ Chick, there is a gym I go to where I live that have a class for arthritic patients. You may want to see if there are any activities at your local YMCA or gym. This is a 55+ class but all ages are welcome. Good luck.

If you have access to a gym that offers it Water aerobic's is great. I've had back surgery and have bilateral tarsal coalition. Nothing hurts me in a pool, I love it! Basically it means it hurts for me to walk a lot. I try to hit the class twice a week, and the gym 3 times a week for the treadmill when the feet arent feeling so bad. :)

Richard Simons has a tape/dvd out for people who are wheelchair bound or just have limited mobility. I think it is called "sittin' to the oldies" or something like that. Personaly I didn't care for it. He was just too goofy for me in this one. I love his other tapes but cant get up and dance because of my spinal disease.

I have the tape but not sure where. I am sure it is still here somewhere collecting dust. I'll have to see if I can find it and then I will post the correct name for you all. He also has one called "stretching to the classics" That one is pretty good.

As for me, I do 10 min. of my own form of tie bo(sp) sitting on my bed every morning and every night. I also do sit ups on my bed with my legs hanging off and holding a 10lb weight. Then 3 days a week I use my stationary bike for 20 min. when I ride my bike I usually wear my sauna suit so I will sweat. (I don't sweat unless I have this on)

I have had degenerative disk disease (deteriorating disks) since I was 13 years old - when it all started.....now I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia......are we having fun yet? lol

My pain level is at a 4 (of 10) on any given day and goes up to a 20! on really bad days ---

I am able to walk for 15 minutes on a treadmill at 2.2 speed (slow but not crawling) and some days I can do up to 30 minutes. I try to walk 15 min twice a day rather than once for the entire 30 as I lose weight better walking 'between' meals.

Is anyone up for a disabled challenge? Meaning - I have done challenges for two months in the Gone for Good thread -- but would love to see us challenge ourselves and one another....how about it?

Any suggestions as to what the challenge would be? for all of us who find exercise painful but beneficial? Excited to hear from you all!

I have had degenerative disk disease (deteriorating disks)

Me too, DDD w/bone spurs and arthritis.. I can walk a decent distance but not to fast. I just recently started swimming (weather permitting) but thats about it. My doc said NO aerobics !

Yep NJChick - we are a lot alike--- I tried to just 'walk' at a pool at the hospital fitness center and the nerves in my feet acted up so bad I had to stop -- now I walk on a treadmill for 15-20 minutes (twice a day on good days) and that is it -- if I walk a long time - like hours - shopping, etc I come home and can barely walk at all that night and the next day -- it is a very different world for those of us who have DDD, bone spurs and arthritis (yes I have all of these and sciatica plus fibromyalgia)...it is a challenge but I hang in there - some days are better than others....what medications do you take, if I might ask ?

Mo, I'm not on any medications. My doctor wanted to give me shots in my spine but I refused. I will bear the pain for as long as I can. I do have to say I have more good days now than bad with the weight loss but when my back acts up LORDY~ its a chore just to get to work and lets not even mention getting DD ready and off to daycare. I also have arthritis in my knees and they hurt quite often. I can tell its getting worse because I used to be able to clean my house in one day, now I get 2 rooms clean at the most and I'm sore & tired.

Eileen

NJChick - geez ....bless you - it is really hard to do things like clean house and chase children - I used to do daycare (for 12 years) and had to stop - couldn't keep up with them lol....I have arthritis too - had outpatient laproscopy surgery two years ago on right knee - I had torn cartilage (doc doesn't know what from and neither do I) and arthritis just one level below most severe on his chart - he was shocked - and I have tendonitis in the left knee and most likely arthritis - yep - weight loss helps - as does some kind of exercise to combat the arthritis every day -- I usually take celebrex two times a day and an anti-depressant for pain - a side effect which they found helps people like us is that the anti-depressant tells the brain the pain is moved - gone - somewhere else - so it alleviates it - I couldn't survive without these two meds - and when the pain gets too bad I take Ultracet (ultram and tylenol) which works great for me

I've herniated and now deteriorated 3 disks in my neck and 3 in my lower back - DDD been going on since I was 13 yrs old - are we having fun yet? lol

Ironically - the two medications recommended for fibromyalgia are the two I currently take - so I kill two birds with one stone so to speak :eek:

I have systemic Lupus, but luckily, no extreme pain. Before losing weight and beginning exercise, my feet and ankles KILLED me. Walking, I would get what felt like shin splints and I would nearly be in tears before making it around the block. I got on the treadmill and begin walking about 10 minutes. Today I can go faster and longer, but I had to work up to it. But, I enjoy aqua aerobics immensely! It's the best, less painful, most invigorating thing I've ever been able to do and I miss it when I don't get to go. Contrary to some belief, it is a very good workout, due to the body's resistance against the Water and you can get the cardio effects without the stress on the joints. It's the one exercise I've ever done that I come home feeling completely rejuvenated!

Mo thats great the meds are working for you, it gives me hope :eek: Some days the spurs hurt worse than the rest of me LOLOL. Oh well take it one day at a time eh.

Leatha yep Water IS good. I try to jog in my pool with my DD hanging onto the skirt of my suit LOL, more resistance :eek: