Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when will i ever learn??? and a question

Don't drink Water too fast!!!! No matter how thirsty you are, or how good it tastes!!!!! I know this, I know this, I know this, but I still drink it too fast sometimes..arrgggg....and I pay for it when it goes down and really makes me queezie for a few......

And what is the deal with NOT drinking from a straw??? I love drinking from a straw and sometimes it is soo much easier...just cuious

Never had restrictions on drinking from a straw, and it does make life easier. I can chug 20oz of water/tea in about 3-4 minutes so this whole sipping, not being able to drink rapidly thing doesn't last forever either.

Around7-8 months out, liquids were super easy to drink, and I guess around a year or so, I realized I could take enormous drinks without issue.

At 2 months out I can take a couple regular drinks of Water before I have to stop. It seems to get much easier to drink the farther out you are. When I first got sleeved a tiny sip would be too much. As far as for a straw I don't really notice it unless I am at a restaurant. Sometimes I forget and then realize as I am grabbing the glass that I need to take the straw out! Oh and what I was told about straws is that there can be a lot of air in them so when you take a drink you are also taking in a lot of air.

Don't drink Water too fast!!!! No matter how thirsty you are, or how good it tastes!!!!! I know this, I know this, I know this, but I still drink it too fast sometimes..arrgggg....and I pay for it when it goes down and really makes me queezie for a few......

And what is the deal with NOT drinking from a straw??? I love drinking from a straw and sometimes it is soo much easier...just cuious

The Dr. told my mother (who has the dreaded lap band) not to drink from a straw, at least in the beginning due to the fact that it brings extra air into the pouch.

She does it all the time now, and never really had a problem even early on. I think it is just a personal thing. It may bother you, and it may not. So some Dr's just say not to, just in case.

I use straws if I go to restaurants. My doctor never said I couldn't. I haven't had any problems.

Never had restrictions on drinking from a straw, and it does make life easier. I can chug 20oz of water/tea in about 3-4 minutes so this whole sipping, not being able to drink rapidly thing doesn't last forever either.

Around7-8 months out, liquids were super easy to drink, and I guess around a year or so, I realized I could take enormous drinks without issue.

Oh I cant wait for that! LOL....tomorrow will be 8 wks post op....hard to believe its been 8 wks already! time flies when you're having fun !!! LOL

Straws must be okay because everything Dr. Aceves brought me in the hospital came with a straw.

I'm three months out and am able to drink a little faster. But I will still get that pain if I drink Water too cold, hot tea feels the best.

Because you swallow air first when drinking from a straw! You can use a sports bottle to avoid swallowing air. They are made so you don't swallow air first.

In other words, when you suck through a straw, you first draw a column of air followed by the liquid you will ingest. So you would be putting large amounts of air in your new stomach first and could cause alot of pain and discomfort.

haha, I use a sippie cup, which makes me look like a big baby, but it is good for removing the air from the sip, and keeps me from spilling when I whack the cup over accidentally! It kind of slows down the drinking a little bit too, which as worked out well. I found a cute on that holds almost two cups of liquid, and has a psycho looking cat and rabbit on it that freaks my hubby out.

0087845000059_180X180.jpg

I think about 10 days post-op I resumed my drinking from a straw "habit". Almost everything I sip, with the exception of hot Decaf coffe/tea is from a straw. I have zero issues with it. I don't have any trouble with getting extra "air" in my mouth from using a straw, plus it might help you with sipping, instead of gulping. Give it a try!

How is everyone swallowing air with straws? The air - and please consider the size of a straw, it's TINY - stays in my mouth - it's not like I am inhaling my drink through a straw like smoking a cigarette.

I keep hearing this and I think it is silly. If it was true, normal people would burp a lot more when drinking through straws than when drinking directly from a glass because of the extra air -- I don't think this is based on any facts

Oh thank you, that is really good to know. I can def drink much faster than I could in the beginning. Right now if I really concentrate I can do 20 oz in about 20-30 minutes. However, to be able to drink much faster again will be such a relief.

OP: Re: Straws - I use them all the time and never had any issues with them. I know the reasoning behind it is that air can go down with your sips but really, it's just never bothered me at all.

Good luck!!

I am almost 6 monhs out and I can drink from a straw( never had an issue even tho I was told not to by my nut) and I too can drink 20 oz. of Water in minutes. I've been drinking Water normally for months now. Thank goodness becuz sipping truly got on my last nerve.

Deb ;)