Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken, anyone?

Prior to surgery, I ate a lot of chicken, but I am finding that since surgery, I can barely choke down a bite or maybe two--and then my stomach feels uncomfortable for a while after. I'm wondering how other people are preparing their chicken so that it's tender? I have to say my previous method of grilling skinless boneless chicken breasts under the broiler is a total FAIL!

Prior to surgery, I ate a lot of chicken, but I am finding that since surgery, I can barely choke down a bite or maybe two--and then my stomach feels uncomfortable for a while after. I'm wondering how other people are preparing their chicken so that it's tender? I have to say my previous method of grilling skinless boneless chicken breasts under the broiler is a total FAIL!

I had a Adkins recipe I found and scaled it down. Take 4 boneless chicken tenders,sprinkle Hidden valley ranch dip mix on them and layer a slice of turkey bacon on top. cover with foil and bake maybe 15 minutes. Remove foil and top with grated cheddar (low fat). It helps the taste alot. This is modified so I didnt post stats. You can google Adkins recipes to get it. I can't eat it all in one day but it reheats good. There also was one using Taco seasoning. I can't handle the dry grilled chicken now either and my other tastes have changed too.lol. Hope it helps.

My favorite thing right now is getting one of the roasted chicken from Walmart. They have several flavors and I cannot cook a chicken for the price they are selling one, here is $4.99. It is very moist and it smells awesome. For other meals, I dice it up and then use 1/4 cup of a jar of chicken gravy to 4 ozs of chicken and this gives you about 20 grams of Protein. This helps to keep it moist later and makes it easier to go down. I do not eat the skin and I can barely eat 4 ozs yet. Sometimes I place 1-2 Tbsp of mashed potatoes on the bottom of the dish, add the chicken and top with gravy. This is a comfort food for us, as I grew up eating lots of casseroles.

The only way I eat chicken breast is in a salad and the Salad Dressing moistens it enough. Otherwise, I eat the legs or the thighs which are much more tender and juicy.

I an eat chicken in like chicken enchilidia Soup. That way it is very small pieces and very moist. Chili's has the best soup.

Are any of those Chili's Soups ALL liquid? Or do I need to wait until mushy phase to try them out?

I don't seem to have a problem with chicken, but I usually dip it in something (BBQ sauce, ranch, etc.) I think it was Tiffany that said she lubes her meat well, and that has been really good advice. Usually my go-to order for a restaurant is a chicken sandwich and I ignore the bun, and take 1/2 of the chicken breast home or share it.

Are any of those Chili's Soups ALL liquid? Or do I need to wait until mushy phase to try them out?

When I was on liquids I finally started blending soups and chilis then straining them just to get a different flavor.

At first I had to eat chicken with something or it was too dry, mayo, or gravy, or ketchup. Also it is true that it only takes a few bites or solid Protein at first to fill you up even when it is not dry.

I have heard many people say that they have to have some sort of sauce with it! I personally have no issues with chicken at all! It's the easiest for me to eat and I just usually have it grilled! I don't like sauces so mine is just chicken and I chew chew chew!!!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'll try a dipping sauce and see if that works better. As Eureka-C pointed out, it might also be just the normal restriction at this point. ;)

I have to have lots of melted cheese in order to get the chicken to go down well, however, I use the restriction to my advantage; when I feel like I have been eating too much or too many slider foods, I eat some plain "dry" chicken and get so (uncomfortably) filled up, so fast that, that there's no room for anything else.

I like to take 3 oz cooked chicken, cubed, a splash of vinegar, and 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese. Throw it all together in a bowl, microwave until all the cheese is melted and bubbly and, yum! Throw in an ounce of brocolli and it's a complete meal and enough for 2 sleever-size servings.