Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

120 lbs and plication?

I have to say that, in general, since I have joined this forum, that MOSt people have been very supportive, regardless of what type of surgery someone has or is planning on having, or what their experience has been, etc. But sometimes the responses have just been negative and unnecessary! ALL of the surgeries have their drawbacks and risks AND positives. Why can't we just support eachother in whatever decision we decide??? Geez, people! We are all in the same boat! Don't you think I doubt my decision EVERY single day? Didn't YOU do that? If I change my mind against the Plication and chose the VSG or the Bypass or the Band, there will always be someone else piping in on their opinion. Don't make this decision more difficult for people! I am chosing the Plication because I don't want my stomach thrown in the trash, I don't want the malabsorption and deficiencies possible with the bypass and I don't want the erosions and slippage and constant maintenance of the band. Deal with it! I checked out some of the negative responses on Obesity Help regarding the Plication. One of the comments was that "only the bottom feeder surgeons perform it" Really? From my research, some of the BEST surgeons are choosing to do this and TEACHING others across the country to do it, as well. Let's just all be supportive, 'kay?

wasabubblebut is the one who makes all the "bottom feeder" comments. She works for a doctor who makes his money doing sleeves. She makes commision from refferels. She obviously has narrow view of things, and does not back up her statements. Trust your own instincts and research.

Let me know what Cottem has to say. It is frustrating that I live so close to his office. It would be so conventient to have my plication done in SLC. I can not pay $13000. and so far, I have not had my calls returned. :(

I have to say that, in general, since I have joined this forum, that MOSt people have been very supportive, regardless of what type of surgery someone has or is planning on having, or what their experience has been, etc. But sometimes the responses have just been negative and unnecessary! ALL of the surgeries have their drawbacks and risks AND positives. Why can't we just support eachother in whatever decision we decide??? Geez, people! We are all in the same boat! Don't you think I doubt my decision EVERY single day? Didn't YOU do that? If I change my mind against the Plication and chose the VSG or the Bypass or the Band, there will always be someone else piping in on their opinion. Don't make this decision more difficult for people! I am chosing the Plication because I don't want my stomach thrown in the trash, I don't want the malabsorption and deficiencies possible with the bypass and I don't want the erosions and slippage and constant maintenance of the band. Deal with it! I checked out some of the negative responses on Obesity Help regarding the Plication. One of the comments was that "only the bottom feeder surgeons perform it" Really? From my research, some of the BEST surgeons are choosing to do this and TEACHING others across the country to do it, as well. Let's just all be supportive, 'kay?

The person I was speaking to had NOT had the plication. Read any of my post and see I haven't ever been anything but supportive to anyone after they have had any type of surgery. I was going for the band first and read some honest feedback about it and thank god didn't do that. I then wanted to go for plication because it was said to be reversable and still the same results but in my research it isn't and the results are not as good. Would it be good of me to just say nothing? Should I not share the hours of research I have done? Where do you see a plication has gotten reversed after a patient having it for any significant amount of time like 1 year post op?

I appologize if I have offended anyone with my rant. What set me off was actually my own fears and doubts, which I'm sure we all have. I know everyone has tried to be helpful with their information, and, as I said, they mostly have been. I wasn't just referring to comments made on this particular thread, but others I have also read. It all feels so overwhelming just trying to make the right decision for myself and when others give well meaning and intended information, good or bad, about the surgery I've chosen or others that I might have been thinking about, it just gets confusing and frustrating because it creates more doubt in me. I DO appreciate all the information. It DOES help in making this decision. I guess I was also reacting to some people's comments (not this thread alone) where others give more than just information, they "put down" certain surgeries, which makes me feel like I'm making a "bad" choice or my choice is not being respected. But, as Tiffany said, that is their opinion and they're entitled to it. So, let's move on from al that...LMom, thanks for the info about who was making that "bottom feeder" remark. That makes a lot more sense! And, I totally hear you about wanting to get the surgery done in your home state, but feeling like you have to go elsewhere. That's too bad they haven't returned your call. Makes ME wonder whether I should go with them or not! I have contacted Dr. Watkins office in the past, also, and they have been very responsive and informative. Keep me posted on how you're doing, too!

I had the plication. No leaks or problems at all. I've lost 55 lbs and am 7 months out. Had it done in Mexico. I would recommend it.

Really???? Plication is a gimic? I've been telling my brother to research it. He probably has 100 lbs to lose. I thought it is better b/c your stomach stays in. I'd like to know more about how it is a gimic. I haven't read anyone unhappy. I'm not being sarcastic, I don't want to spoint bro in the wrong direction. That was my one problem with sleeve is that what if I need my stomach later for some reason and it is gone? I thought the fact that it is reversible is good. I'm very confused now.

I had plication one month ago exactly, I never ever had any pain or complications, I feel great, lot's of energy and a new zest for life. I was 272 and now today I am 245. I had it done in Mexicali by Dr.Abril. That whole experience was fabulous and I would not go to any other surgeon. It's like when you find the perfect hair dresser, you stick with them. I like the support on this site. I do not like that so many people who are VSG come to this site for GPS. I really don't like that some of these people are paid to cruise this and other sites as part of their JOB, and prey on us who are here for real.

I had plication one month ago exactly, I never ever had any pain or complications, I feel great, lot's of energy and a new zest for life. I was 272 and now today I am 245. I had it done in Mexicali by Dr.Abril. That whole experience was fabulous and I would not go to any other surgeon. It's like when you find the perfect hair dresser, you stick with them. I like the support on this site. I do not like that so many people who are VSG come to this site for GPS. I really don't like that some of these people are paid to cruise this and other sites as part of their JOB, and prey on us who are here for real.

Yeah for you and your results Melanie! I am having the surgery this Wednesday. Do you feel like you are really have to exert a ton of willpower to not eat? I ask everyone that! I am hoping that this surgery is going to make it easier to make good choices and not have to constantly fight the urge to eat a Big Mac!

This was a nice discussion. I had the sleeve bc that was the best I knew of at the time and not a lot of regrets. However, if there is something better for the next person I am so open to that. I am convinced that there will always be more and more surgeries good and bad. I'm still confused if the plication is progress or not, and not I'm not a great researcher...I really appreciate the conversation and debate.

This site is for VSG patients, and only after a few people came looking on here for support because plication is so close to the sleeve did the owner of this site set up a Plication section along with the RNY and band section for "Other surgeries". He did that so plication patients would have support, and be able to discuss options. Because initially people research the sleeve and then stumble upon the plication. Just like what happens when people research the band and they stumble on the sleeve. We (VSG patients) used to have a sub-forum on Lapbandtalk.com until this forum was set up as a spin-off.

Last time that I had contact with Alex, they were looking to get a plicationtalk (just like this one) set up for Plication patients.

This is an open forum. The original poster asked for opinions and advice. No one is trolling in on sacred territory here, and only shared our advice/opinions based upon our experience and research.

No one is here trolling for business, or preying on anyone well with the exception of a couple of patient coordinators that pop in from time to time to solicit business, but I can assure you that my intentions were and always have been to give support, advice and my opinion when asked.

Tiffykins,

Thanks for all of your input. Your posts are very helpful, especially to those of us that were banded and are looking for alternatives. I love that this board is usually so supportive and I really hope it stays that way. I know there has been some conflict on other boards and people who've had other procedures and I really don't understand why. The sleeve is closely related to the plication so I assume we go through a lot of the same symptoms and reactions to surgery. When I had my band in 2001 there was very little information out there which is why I'm excited that people have somewhere to research and discuss sleeve, ds and plication. I think a plicationtalk site would be great but I do love the input from other types of WLS as well. I believe the more information, the better!

genepha

I started my 2 week liquid diet on January 5, 2011 with my Plication Surgery on January 19,2011 with Dr Watkins and I have lost 50 Pounds to date. I started with a BMI of 49 and weight of 383 this morning I weighed 332.

I would recommend it to anyone. It is a TOOL and there are ways to CHEAT you can eat more Junk food than Healthy Food, Once you eat good food your stomach definetly gives you a sign, If you choose to ignore this sign it

Hurts and is not worth the Pain which last around 3hrs. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH MY PLICATION and DR Watkins and Staff are GREAT:D

Here's my info straight forward:

Plication with Dr. Watkins on 12/29/2010

Total loss (including the 2 week pre-op liquid diet): 31 pounds (8 weeks total)

Total to loose: 125 pounds

I was NOT told I had too much to loose for plication and I feel fantastic. I have no regrets.

Good luck with your decision!

We're happy to announce the launch of www.SleevePlicationTalk.com ! A new community for pre or post Gastric Sleeve Plication surgery support.