Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe I am of the percentage the lapband does not work for????

It's different for anyone. I try to stay below 30g net carbs per day (and only subtract Fiber, not sugar alcohols). I know people who try to stay below 45g. It depends too many things to say for sure. But I only get carbs from veggies, legumes, Beans, etc. I don't eat breads, crackers, sweets, etc.

Hi Melanne,

Just thought I would add this point. Its not about low calorie. Its about reduced intake. What I mean by this is with the band there is no way I could eat what I could before which means if I waste it on a big piece of cake (which goes down easy) then I wont have as much room for the meat. Right now if you are working out as much as you are you need to have the Protein high to build and maintain muscle. Carbs are important, but believe me for those who are insulin resistant (I am) they are killer. I eat less than 50 carbs grams a day, usually less then 30 on most and this works for me. I upped my calories to about 1300 a day because I dont have great restriction like I did when I first was banded 3 years ago and need more meat to get full. 6 oz or so... My quantities are bigger than when I was first banded.

If I were you, I would cut back on the carbs and see how your body reacts. For me, the weeks where I have the least carbs are the weeks I lose the most so I guess this works for me. I know its hard to NOT rush it, but you need to take your time and get used to the lifestyle change. Like I said, it has to be something you can live with for life, not a diet.

Babs in TX

WOW! Great info on the carbs!

I really think that may have been what was sabbotaging me last week.

I can deal with numbers. I can watch and count and know - Whoops, had my count for the day!

I am having a chicken breast on my Foreman grill, and a side tossed salad with Fat Free dressing, carrots, califlower, and broccoli on it.

WOW! Great info on the carbs!

I really think that may have been what was sabbotaging me last week.

I can deal with numbers. I can watch and count and know - Whoops, had my count for the day!

I am having a chicken breast on my Foreman grill, and a side tossed salad with Fat Free dressing, carrots, califlower, and broccoli on it.

That sounds great! :)

I understand, I'm a numbers person too. And I also have heard different numbers from nutritionist, PCP, surgeon, fellow bandsters, etc.

I personally listen to my surgeon/staff. This includes two surgeons, a bariatric nurse, a program coordinator, a patient advocate, and a psychologist. Now if they all get together and don't contradict, I figure it's pretty good advice.

I have heard 50g per day as a good hard number to not go above. My number is lower because of insulin resistance, PCOS, and the fact that I can't control myself with carbs. If I have a handful of nuts, yeah, maybe I'll end up having 3. But if I have one bagel, I'll have six. Or more. I especially know that in my weakest moments, I cannot allow myself to have carbs. I went through a hard stressful week this week, and I never let myself near a carb because I knew it would set off a binge. Even if I overate, I didn't binge.

I'm sorry, I try to be a positive person so, I'm not trying to tick you off Melanie but you have got to be nicer to yourself. I've read this entire thread and seen you refer to yourself with some pretty nasty comments.

You want to know the "trick" to success? I truly believe that the majority of my success comes from the fact that I had to look deeply inside myself and decide that I am WORTH it to change my lifestyle. No, I'm not proud of what my body looks like but I still love myself for my values and character and know that I deserve to do my best.

You can take my advice or tell me to shove it but I don't care how many calories or carbs or exercise you do...none of it matters if you don't believe in yourself and let your body work WITH you for once. The human body is not meant to melt pounds away like butter in a frying pan...if that were true NONE of us would have needed surgery. You will never consistently lose weight...I wish that weren't the case but it is and it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.

I understand it gets frustrating at times. I've bawled at my surgeon's office over it. You know what he told me? He said he was disappointed that I felt this way because his goal is for his patients to feel BETTER about their life after surgery. You know what? When I thought about that for a minute I realized...no I'm not supermodel but I AM doing something positive for myself and the scale is atleast moving in a healthier direction now. And just like I've read a million times before on these boards...it didn't take 2 months to get fat so why in hell would we expect it to come back off that fast.

I'm sorry for the long post but this thread has me really upset. I don't like knowing that you are in this much pain. I'm giving you a cyber-hug with some advice from my heart...do with it as you like.

Pfunkem - thank you!!!

As I read labels, and avoid carbs, oh my gosh! Just about everything has a carb or two (or more) in it!!!

You subtract the fiber but not the sugar. This is the part that I get confused or my brain shuts down. Kinda like science class, I could not see or feel the atom, and had trouble 'knowing' it breaks in two.

So how do I know this subtracting anything means anything? LOL

I think we have all come to know I am OCD and Nutz to boot....

MelAnne,

I think that you are doing great, but my opinion doesn't matter. Nor does ANYONE elses except YOURS. I say that because I don't think that you are hearing the people who are congratulating you, you seem to really be dwelling on the negative. I must say though, hearing you complain about your loss is really depressing for those of us whom have also worked hard and truly lost VERY little.

Alot of people have offered you some really good advice, but you still seem to be at a really high stress level over this. I mean a REALLY high stress level.

My advice to you is that I think that you are underestimating the effects of stress on your body. If you continue to keep yourself at this high of a stress level, not only will you continue to hinder your weight loss, but you will end up sickly.

I'm sorry for the long post but this thread has me really upset. I don't like knowing that you are in this much pain. I'm giving you a cyber-hug with some advice from my heart...do with it as you like.

Thank you! I am accepting your comments (and hug!) in spirit that they were offered. In support and friendship.

I am this side of crazy, and this is not the good side. I am dealing with all of this, and all the pressure that surrounds me regarding this, as best I can.

Thank you again, I appreciate your words of experience and wisdom.

Just a couple of things to say.

First, you dismiss the first 19 pounds... Many bandsters do not lose a pound during the first month or so... They are not failures. You are well ahead with this loss.

I think the others are onto something with the carbs. Personally, I need to really see what I am doing with the carbs as well.

For me, I need to weigh myself daily. It is kind of my way of keeping out of denial. I am steadily losing, but that was not always the case. I would go a month or so without a loss, then bam, down 8-10 pounds in a couple of days. That is just how it works for some people. It doesn't mean that they are doing anything wrong. It is just what it is. If you dwell on it, or internalize it too much, it will only harm your success.

For you (and for others), you may not do well with weighing every day. Put the scale away and bring it out twice a month. Better yet, try using other tools to track your progress. Measure yourself! As you exercise, you are toning and building muscles that weigh more than fat, but are smaller. So the scale won't track that success, but the tape measure will. Are your clothes getting looser? Are you feeling like you have more energy? Get rid of the scale for a bit!!

And take what your doctor and nutritionist says, weigh out the advice, and use what you want. If they are saying different things, then try them both and see what works for you. YOU have to find this out, no one will give you the perfect answer for YOU.

Please know that the band is just a tool to use for you LONG journey to becoming healthier. It would be nice if we could all consistantly lose 1-4 pounds a week, but in reality, that doesn't happen. So when people are trying to tell you to get a grip, then are just saying that some of your expectations may be unrealistic, especially is such a short period of time. At this stage of the game for you, 9 weeks is a long time. In reality, it is just a small piece if you look at the entire picture.

Everyone always says, "It didn't take you overnight to gain the weight, and it won't take you overnight to lose the weight." It probably took you a lot longer than 9 weeks to gain those 28 pounds. Give yourself time to lose the weight.

Also, you HAVE to count the 19 pounds. Like me, you probably starved to get that off, but like any kind of fasting, you usually would gain the weight right back once you start eating again. And that didn't happen. You still are down those 19 pounds.

It is all about perspective.