Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting banded!

Congratulations Joyce

DeLarla...Sending best wishes on your trip south to get banded! Reading all your post has made me feel like I've known you for a long time. Thanks for all the great laughs, I'm still pictureing you driving/singing down the road with the windows down, flapping in the wind.... I'll be thinking bout U girl! Be safe

Take new pics now and don't let your sister touch them.

DeLarla, Good luck to you, I was banded on 4/19/04 and I too was ready to beat this addiction. One thing that I did was mentally prepare myself for the surgery. I tried to gradually taper off of the indulgence that were literally killing me. I am learning to love myself and to be my own best friend. Once you have the surgery you will be full faster but for me my hunger begins in my head so I have to work on my mental behavior. I am finding out so much about myself already and I can only imagine how much more there is. Stay close to the others in this site and be good to yourself. Ginny

Hi Delarla,

Congrats on your upcoming date. I am scheduled to have Dr. Rumbaut place my band on 5-28. I am looking forward to ending my constant, unproductive and ungratifying diet that I've known all my life.

But I must say, I get freaked out reading some of the threads, and problems that some are going through. I really feel empathy for you guys. I am really convinced that this is the right step for me to take and I'm thankful for the "full disclosure" that we get on this chatline.

Thank you everyone for being so nice and making me feel like I have friends that understand. But I crashed and burned really bad today. I'm supposed to on my pre-op diet but I pigged out really bad today. I called the hospital and told them that I haven't been so good, and the girl was really nice and told me not to worry, that the band will help me. So I have to do only liquids all day tomorrow, then my surgery is Wednesday. Gosh, I couldn't make it through today, so what's going to keep me on a liquid fast tomorrow? Someone pass me that duct tape please. Oh, and I did drive down Ventura Blvd. singing my heart out. And my eating never starts in my stomach, it's all in my head. I'm baffled that insurance, doctors, drug companies, etc., still think that "dieting" is the answer. The only way to quit eating is either fix my head, or tie up my stomach, ergo the band. I wish we could all live in the same house. Like a Ronald FatDonald House where we live for 6 months to support each other during the hard times until we learn how to eat like little people.

hey Delarla

Well today is one more and you will be banded with me.Keep your hopes up and enjoy your day.Your going to do great and be so happy.I will be thinking of you tomorrow so keep in touch.

In my thoughts and prayers

Joyce

4/28/04 banded

Guest george

you are on the right track. have no fera it is a very easy operation and recovery is very quick. i had my banding on the 16th of april and have lost over 30 lbs. this is not a quick fix operation but you will be happy for the rest of your life because now you are in control:)

Ronald fat donald!!!OMG!

I saw a documeantary last week about a guy who ate mcd's for Breakfast, lunch and dinner for one month!He gained 25 lbs in 4 weeks!!!:cool:

Goes to show you that salad can go a LOOOONG way to losing weight hahah!

Good luck Delarla!Let us know how you do!

C

Hey, I heard about that guy who ate McDonalds for a month and ended up 30 pounds fatter, higher cholesterol, BP, etc... But wait... Now there's a guy challeging this weight gain. I heard him on my local station 2 weeks ago. He said he can eat McDonald's every day at every meal and remain happy - his theory is the first guy made all bad choices. So guy number two is going to do it being careful about menu selections and getting plenty of exercise... oh, and he's a body builder to begin with. So, if you have a lil yogurt cup for b-fast, plain broiled chicken for lunch, and salad sans dressing at dinner, sure, you can stay healthy while living off McD's. But who the heck can say "no" to all the other goodies other than some health freak?

The reality of tomorrow's band is starting to sink in as I try to maintain my liquid fast. I'm so thankful all you people have faith in me while mine lacks (hopefully temporarily.)

Thanks George, for making it not so scary!

Hope everything is going well, I too am getting banded Dr. Lopez

May 21 st.

How does it feel to be on the other side now? I can't wait to get it done. I am just counting the days.

Pre op diet? They never said anything to me. Am I suppose to be eating differently before surgery?

Please let me know what it was all like, the Doctor, the hospital, the nurses you know all the good stuff.

Speedy recovery to you!!!

Thanks

Kathy

Dr. Lopez May 21st

Dr. Lopez is a living doll, and I cried when Dr. Carmen & Nora hugged me goodbye. The hospital is small and intimate, and the rooms are more like hotel rooms than hospital rooms. Each room has 2 beds. One is a hospital bed and the other a queen size for family to sleep in, and there's a bathroom with a full shower. Travel extremely light. You'll live in your hospital gown. I was the only person that brought one small duffle bag - all the others packed tons of stuff and said they never used it. I brough a book and a magazine, but never felt well enough to enjoy either. I visited all my new band friends and watched TV, plus took as many walks as possible. I even dragged that IV-on-wheels out side, where you can see the ocean from the front of the hospital. I sat on the bench and enjoyed the flowers and the ocean breeze. I brought 4 shirts (the one I wore to travel, 2 huge sleep-t's and a tank top) but brought the tank and 1 t-shirt home unused. I tossed my bra in the trash right before my surgery to lighten my trip home, and as a declaration of sort of burning my first fat-girl bra. I brought an uncecessary bottle of Water since the hospital has bottled water right in the hall, but I was glad I brought a small bottle of Gatorade. By the time I was out of surgery, 2 days had passed since I'd eaten, and they only give you water and ice. So I sipped my Gato practically the minute I got back to my room from surgery. I took tiny sips and the small bottle lasted through the next morn. I could talk for days about it, buy my puter won't let me cuz it keeps crashing. I'll give you my phone number if you'd like to give you all the juicy details, for example, I had the pleasure and honor of also meeting Dr. Ortiz, who asked how I was doing twice and answered more questions even tho I wasn't his patient. I only have a couple negative things to say about the whole thing, the major one being that the pre-op instructions should have been more thorough, and all 6 of us had bits of really important info that the rest of us didn't. So go to Mexico and instantly ask which rooms have band patients and ask them all tons of questions. Call me if ya want. Write me at delarla@juno, put lap band in the subject line, and ask for my number!

I forgot the most important thing: a girl getting banded the same day received NO pre-op diet, so she ran into some complications while trying to get her pre-op tests done. All she ate were the peanuts on the plane the day prior, but I heard the nurses mentioning something about it changing the glucose readings. Things worked out for her as planned, but better safe than sorry. However..... whether or not they give you a pre-op diet, do Clear liquids the day before anyway, now let me tell you why: Let's talk frank here - when you eat you gotta poop, and having to go poop post-surgery (in my mind anyway) would be completely miserable. Your belly is full, bloated, sore, freaky; you have an IV on the hand you need to clean yourself with, and any other pressure could have simply done me in. So there, I said it.

Also, my cell phone didn't work in Mexico, and sometimes I had trouble getting outside lines. Long story short, I went to a foreign country all alone to have my stomach sliced up and had zero contact with my husband the entire time. My advice is to get the number of the hospital and give it to your friends and family. You can probably call the hospital in advance and get your room number to make it even easier.

Now if my puter doesn't crash for the 8th time today you'll get this info!

I am so glad you are home and everything went so well. All of your info was so helpful. Most of all the pre-op diet info. I would really hate to have that poop thing going on!! LOL You really made me feel much better about all of this.

Also one of my 3 daughters is having a really tough time with me having this surgery. She is pregnant and due in June. She is my worry wart. I am going to copy your message and send it to her. It will make her feel much better also.

Your cell phone didn't work? Who is your carrier? I have AT&T Wireless so just wondering if it is the carrier. I will have to call my AT&T and see what they think.

I can't believe you went alone. That must have been so nerve racking for you. If I would have known you before I would have went with you. We could have done the buddy band that would have been fun. Well at least it all went good and you are home now. Keep us all posted. I will save your email and maybe sometime we could talk.

Well gotta go for now, you have a speedy recovery and keep me posted. I would love to hear more from you.

Thanks again for everything,

Take care

Kathy

Count down--- 13 days to surgery!!!