Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone w/the Sleeve have Hypothyroidism???

Hi,

I too have hypothyroidism. I am just beginning this journey, and have met with my surgeon. They know I have hypothyroidism, but it didn't seem to phase them. I don't even think they brought it up once. Since beginning my new pre-surgery diet, I have lost almost 22 pounds. I never was able to lose weight like this before. I am not expecting to have any problems losing down to my goal weight after my surgery. However, I will keep you updated. BTW, my surgery is not yet scheduled but fingers are crossed for a June/July date.

Yes definitly let me know how it goes for you. I'd love a step by step as you progress how it goes. I'm really on the fence, still not deciding as I agree w/one of the other posters that it seems to be a bit 'overkill' on the amt of stomach that's removed. I think that I'd like a bit more left like they used to do (from what I read). But thank you for replying & yes, plz let me know how it goes! Thanks!!!

--SK.

Hi Slowkat,

I promised updates on my VSG 1/06/2011 (2 weeks out today) surgery with Dr Aceves in Mexicali Mexico. I lost 13 lbs pre op from around Thanksgiving till surgery day. Since surgery, I have lost another 9 lbs for a total of 22 lbs. Note I'm only 4'10" and started out at 174 less 22 lbs = 152 lbs. I have another 42 lbs to get to goal so the sleeve is working for me.

I had a bougie of 36 which got oversewn to a 32 and is the standard size my surgeon uses. Another woman who had surgery the same day as I did requested a bougie of 40 which got oversewn to a 36 so I know my surgeon accomodates his patients after discussing what difference the size would make for them.

Did you make any decsions yet?

Priscilla

Hi Slowkat,

I promised updates on my VSG 1/06/2011 (2 weeks out today) surgery with Dr Aceves in Mexicali Mexico. I lost 13 lbs pre op from around Thanksgiving till surgery day. Since surgery, I have lost another 9 lbs for a total of 22 lbs. Note I'm only 4'10" and started out at 174 less 22 lbs = 152 lbs. I have another 42 lbs to get to goal so the sleeve is working for me.

I had a bougie of 36 which got oversewn to a 32 and is the standard size my surgeon uses. Another woman who had surgery the same day as I did requested a bougie of 40 which got oversewn to a 36 so I know my surgeon accomodates his patients after discussing what difference the size would make for them.

Did you make any decsions yet?

Priscilla

Hey! Thanks for the update, I appreciate it! I'm leaning more towards the sleeve everyday but still have trouble making decisions, lol. I know in the long run it's best but I'm just having anxious feelings on 'what' I can eat. I'm just so afraid that I'll end up at someone's home for dinner or get invited to stay for dinner & not be able to eat what they provide or end up having to stop somewhere to eat on a roadtrip & wonder what I'll get to eat. I think eating out won't be a problem b/c most places have things to choose from but sometimes I'll go to a friends house to visit & they always have me stay for dinner. I feel terrible at having to say "I'm sorry, I can't eat that" b/c I want to keep the surgery to myself, what do I say to them? That's my actual problem on deciding, do you have any advice?? Funny I know asking a stranger but I think this is a great support group, everyone here seems so supportive & helpful!! Thanks for the update & keep it coming!!

--SK.

Hey! Thanks for the update, I appreciate it! I'm leaning more towards the sleeve everyday but still have trouble making decisions, lol. I know in the long run it's best but I'm just having anxious feelings on 'what' I can eat. I'm just so afraid that I'll end up at someone's home for dinner or get invited to stay for dinner & not be able to eat what they provide or end up having to stop somewhere to eat on a roadtrip & wonder what I'll get to eat. I think eating out won't be a problem b/c most places have things to choose from but sometimes I'll go to a friends house to visit & they always have me stay for dinner. I feel terrible at having to say "I'm sorry, I can't eat that" b/c I want to keep the surgery to myself, what do I say to them? That's my actual problem on deciding, do you have any advice?? Funny I know asking a stranger but I think this is a great support group, everyone here seems so supportive & helpful!! Thanks for the update & keep it coming!!

--SK.

The first month or so you may have to plan your food a bit when going to a friends house ... but, after that, you should be able to eat just about anything wherever you go. Most people serve some sort of Protein at a meal. And, if they don't, just eat the veggies and then up your Protein the rest of the day.

I eat out regularly and at friend's home quite often - has not been an issue since moving to the solid food stage. Get off the fence and join us on the Loser's Bench! B)

The reason I said it may be overkill on the stomach sizes is not because I cannot eat a balanced meal. Because a year out things are relaxing. Some days are better than others, and it depends honestly. I am much pickier about food and need to be very relaxed when I eat in order to fully enjoy a meal. It feels like it is because you are left with the hard part of the stomch so if it tightens bc I'm nervous or upset it is harder to get the food in it comfortably. It isn't a huge deal, just something I've noticed that I eat better at home now or sitting calmly at my desk than I do at a restaurant. Especially if arguments ensue at the dinner table, my lil tummy will tighten.

But I don't feel I eat so little that it is embarrassing at a party anymore. I don't even think about that. But I might get overly full on hors d'oerves if I am hungry when I arrive, and that can make eating dinner qutie difficult.

But just because the long term data is not in, that is why I'm not sure if the boughie size is good. I haven't had any trouble getting too thin with this boughie size, that is for sure. In fact, I'm having trouble getting to my goal so maybe I don't need a bigger tummy after all.

I m just always aware that we don't really know for sure what the long term health implications might be for removing so much of our stomach. But I knew that when I got this surgery, that it is a risk. Being overweight was huge risk too for me. Already I know there could be Vitamin deficiencies with sleeve if I don't take my Vitamins, and that is something I was not aware of before surgery. I look forward to knowing more long term.

You might also consider the sleeve plication. I would have considered that but it wasn't really being done yet, or at least I didn't hear of it. You don't lose the ghrelin as much, but if you eat less some people believe the produciton of it goes down naturally. I wouldn't let the ghrelin deter me from getting plication, because if it doesn't work out you could still get sleeve or something else later. The fact that it is reversible is a plus long-term. Honestly, I probably would have done that surgery if I knew about it in time.

I love food as much as ever, although what I eat has changed and I'm pickier about my food. But I personally haven't felt a great different as far as hunger, just that I get full with less food than I used to. At least I can get full, I just kept eating before, so that is different. The control is what I gained from the surgery. Control b/c it reduces the volume I can eat. To me I don't see that I am not hungry. I still get hungry. I just feel like a person with a smaller stomach that still really likes food. But I'm not suffering, full is still full, thank goodness. The most calories I know of that I've eaten in a day is 1300, but usually around 1000. The truth is if I'm at home all day and feel like cooking I can graze basically on and off all day. So I have to be careful of that.

My doctor knew my medical history and chose a 34 boughie for me. I'm 5'1". It has worked out fine for me. If I had a choice I would have chosen a 40 bc of concerns about reflux. But for me I've been able to control reflux by controlling what I eat and not eating right before I go to sleep. But some say a slightly larger boughie has less issues with reflux. My doctor said to trust him, so I did. Its done, but the longer you wait the more data will be available.

But as far as thyroid, I think this has been great in helping me reduce the weight. I would NEVER have lost the weight without some type of surgery. Someone said that the low thyroid didn't make them regain weight, but I disagree with that. I think it lowers your metabolism in such a way that you tend to crave carbs and sugar for energy and that leads to weight gain. Then the extra weight makes you more sluggish so it is a domino effect b/c you don't feel like exercising. Also though I think Vitamin D is an issue with that too...I think the sluggishness I felt sometimes was also bc of Vitamin D deficiency.

People with a normal thyroid that then go hypothyroid can tell you that it is a drastic difference in energy levels and vitality. I don't notice it bc I've been this way for so long. But eating less has made a positive difference in my overall health. But my thyroid still didn't kick in and work better.