Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

from lap band to sleeve

Hi I'm new to this site , not sure if I'm doing this right. Anyway I had a lap band inserted 5 years ago, and was not that successful with the weight lost. Lost a total of 40 pounds and gained back 10 of those 40. I'v had a horrible time with the lap band, eatting foods that I don't want to eat only to avoid vomitting, and when I eat what I'm not suppose to eat I have a very hard time waiting for the food to go down or taking a trip to the bathroom. Now i'v deceided to have my lap band removed and go for the sleeve. Im scheduled to have this procedure done on 1/10/11. Has anyone on this site have a familiar experience like me, if so please give me your input on how it went.

Thanks

Lara:rolleyes:

Hi lara, welcome to the site!! :)

I am a revision from band to sleeve. Best thing I've ever done for myself!! I had trouble with the whole insurance thing, and since I had gained back all of the weight I'd lost post band I didn't want to waste anymore time fighting it. I did self pay with Dr. Aceves on Sept. 15th. Again, BEST THING EVER!

I didn't have much issue - my recovery wasn't that bad. I think I struggled more with fatigue than anything else. I think I still deal with that to an extent, but it's nothing as bad as it was for the first month. However, the results of the sleeve are pretty darn amazing. It has been for me everything that the band was promised, but never was.

Good luck with your revision! Let us know how you're doing. :)

You've made the decision ever to have a revision. I had a band for almost 4 yrs and went through the same things you did. If you look at my past posts, and especially those of Tiffykins, then'll you find plenty of information of what to expect now once you're sleeved. And there are many more on here in our situation - just search "revision" or look at more of the past posts in this thread and there is plenty of information already available. Best wishes on your surgery -

I had the band done about 5 years ago and i lost about 50lbs and gained it all back. I had the revision done 6/15/10. I have only lost 40 lbs since, but the quality of my life is so much better. I choose not to have the full 80% of my stomach removed and I am suffering the consequences of that choice now. I can eat far more than most. My biggest problem is head hunger, because of it I tend to snack all day. I desperately want to reach my goal weight of 145lbs, but I don't know how to get there. Because I am not seeing much progress I have also slacked off with exercising. Can anyone offer advice or suggestions? I am open to anything.

Hi I'm new to this site , not sure if I'm doing this right. Anyway I had a lap band inserted 5 years ago, and was not that successful with the weight lost. Lost a total of 40 pounds and gained back 10 of those 40. I'v had a horrible time with the lap band, eatting foods that I don't want to eat only to avoid vomitting, and when I eat what I'm not suppose to eat I have a very hard time waiting for the food to go down or taking a trip to the bathroom. Now i'v deceided to have my lap band removed and go for the sleeve. Im scheduled to have this procedure done on 1/10/11. Has anyone on this site have a familiar experience like me, if so please give me your input on how it went.

Thanks

I'm almost the same, I had a lap band 5 yrs ago this month. In total lost about 40 pounds. Kept going up and down. I ended up eating things that were not healthy just because I wasn't able to eat the healthier things. Now I weigh as much as before I got the band. I am getting sleeved on Jan. 12th. So I have no words of wisdom for you, just joining the journey along side you. Anne

Lara,

Your post is my post. I just did an introductory post and scroll down and here I am again. But it is not me...just my story. You, Anne and I have the same story. My doc is leaving for a 2 week vacation so I will have my surgery sometime in the first part of February. I will be keeping up with you both and how well you do. You will be my inspiration.

Cathy

Thanks

Lara,

Your post is my post. I just did an introductory post and scroll down and here I am again. But it is not me...just my story. You, Anne and I have the same story. My doc is leaving for a 2 week vacation so I will have my surgery sometime in the first part of February. I will be keeping up with you both and how well you do. You will be my inspiration.

Cathy

I used to think I was the only one who failed with the lap band. Until I started looking on line. Someone had asked aren't you scared (of the surgery), my biggest fear honestly, is that I won't lose weight with this either- which I know isn't true.

I used to think I was the only one who failed with the lap band. Until I started looking on line. Someone had asked aren't you scared (of the surgery), my biggest fear honestly, is that I won't lose weight with this either- which I know isn't true.

anne,

I know what you mean. I didn't go to the doctor for over a year because I felt like such a failure. When I started having pain and needed the gallbladder out I went. It was so great to find out I can do it all at once, remove the band and gallbladder and do the sleeve. I wonder how long the surgery for all that will last. Has anyone had similar surgery.

cathy

Yes, I did. I had my band removed, the sleeve done, a hiatal hernia repaired, adhesions removed, and gall bladder removed all at once. I don't really remember how long the surgery was - I was asleep :P :P ! But the recovery was no worse than getting the band, I just had more "holes" this time around. So it CAN be done. It was nice because I was self-pay for WLS, but my insurance pd for the other procedures, so I was able to save money on the revision.

Thanks

How are you doing? I had surgery on 1/12 and I am on Protein shakes now. Just thought I would check in....anne

I'm doing great . I had my surgery on the 10th of January and feeling better than ever I have my post visit with my Dr. tommorow, weighed myself and I'v lost 15 pounds and loving it!!!!!!

I had my band for 2 years, and had a similar time. I lost 40 lbs in the beginning (only because my stomach swelled completely shut for 10 days) , and gained 20 lbs. back, so it was a complete failure in my book. The only thing that would go down and not cause a hang up was junk food. I couldn't eat eggs, hamburger meat, chicken, tuna (unless I added tons of mayo). I could eat something one day and not the next. It was 2 years of Hell in my book. Anyway, I was sleeved 12/30/10, and it was the best decision I've ever made!! My recovery was way better, and I feel sooooo great!! I've lost more weight in 3 weeks than I had after 2 years with my band. Wish I would've known about this surgery the first time around.

I had my band for 2 years, and had a similar time. I lost 40 lbs in the beginning (only because my stomach swelled completely shut for 10 days) , and gained 20 lbs. back, so it was a complete failure in my book. The only thing that would go down and not cause a hang up was junk food. I couldn't eat eggs, hamburger meat, chicken, tuna (unless I added tons of mayo). I could eat something one day and not the next. It was 2 years of Hell in my book. Anyway, I was sleeved 12/30/10, and it was the best decision I've ever made!! My recovery was way better, and I feel sooooo great!! I've lost more weight in 3 weeks than I had after 2 years with my band. Wish I would've known about this surgery the first time around.

That is great, congrats to you!!! I know I love my sleeve for sure!! I want it to be my Valentine... :P