Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I really doing this? So scared...

Hi guys..

I have been reading EVERYTHING on this website for the past three months. I read it every night before I go to bed, and then dream about my surgery at night! I'm being a little obsessive to say the least lol

I'm meeting with the surgeon for the first time in a week and a half, and am starting to panic. I know that this is going to be the beginning of a healthier, happier life, but it is so SCARY. I have never had any medical procedures in the past, so this is will be the first time for almost everything. I feel like once I'm knocked out they can do whatever they need to, but I am still worried about the small things at the beginning of the process.

What was your experiences with the IV (I know it's a small and silly thing, but I am terrified of needles) and the heparin shot they put in your stomach? I'm worried about the pain after the surgery, but mostly nervous about everything that happens before. I don't want to be the crazy lady that is sobbing her whole way into the hospital...

My IV was in the hand. I'm not a fan of those, I had many lines put in by classmates while studying to be a paramedic and find that the hand IVs are more painful than the elbow ones. He got it on the first try, though, even though I have some scarring in those veins courtesy of said classmates. But it only hurts for like 2 seconds. The heparin shot is subcutaneous, so it barely hurts, just a pinch. I never had any bruising from it.

I guess if you allowed classmates to start IV's on you it can't be that painful! Have you ever requested that numbing stuff that they can use before hand? Thanks so much for your input!

I guess if you allowed classmates to start IV's on you it can't be that painful! Have you ever requested that numbing stuff that they can use before hand? Thanks so much for your input!

Well, it's not like I had a choice in that matter, we are forced to do all that stuff, haha. I'm just glad I didn't go to the one school in the region which requires students to intubate each other (that's just plain dangerous, IMO).

I've never heard of that numbing stuff....is it just topical lidocaine or something? It was never even offered to me.

intubating each other?! oh my...how can they even do that when people are awake?

I don't know if they offer the numbing stuff, but someone told me to request it for the IV and heparin shot, which made my imagination go crazy. I am wondering what kind of pain I'm going to go through BEFORE surgery...

I also get the lidocaine because my veins are horrible, and they have to dig around in my hand or wrist to get an IV set. My elbow joint and feet veins typically blow so they can't ever get IVs started in those areas. The lidocaine stings for a few seconds, the lovenox or heparin both burned, but it only lasts a couple of seconds, do not rub or put pressure on the area when they give those injections because it can cause bruising. All of mine were given in my upper thighs because they didn't want to give them in my stomach area. It's a tiny needle, and the poke doesn't hurt as much as the liquid going in at least for me. I've got 3 decent size tattoos so needles do not bother me in the least, but I hate getting IVs set only because I have horrible veins.

If you are anxious, talk to your surgeon about getting a pre-anesthesia cocktail. Valium can be your friend, and I'm a firm believer that going into the OR with a calm sense, it makes the recovery smoother. I went in to my band surgery, bawling my eyes out, and it was not fun waking up. I requested valium for my other procedures, and it made a world of difference in how I felt going back to the OR and in recovery. I cry every time I have surgery, it's just what I do, but I won't ever have surgery without getting some good drugs before they wheel me back.

thank you for your comments! I'm feeling much more relaxed now that I've had a few days to let it sink in. It doesn't help when I vent to my friends or family about anxieties and fears, and their first reaction is to convince me not to do the surgery. I'm going to ask them to lather the numbing stuff all over my hand and hope it's not too bad....

thank you!

Don't be scared you'll be fine ,honestly. I got the numbing anaesthetic cream for my IV, but to be quite honest it doesn't hurt that much anyway (3 c- sections, ,boob job, nose job, gastric balloon in the past) I agree with Tiff though ask for Valium or anything they can offer to calm you down before going into surgery, it helps a lot. Positive thinking and attitude is very important as far as pain and recuperation goes, so relax, everything will be fine and you will absolutely love your sleeve, good luck! :P

I was just sleeved 3 weeks ago so it is all very fresh in my mind. I got up and showered extra well with the hibaclens they said I had to use. I brushed my teeth extra well and used listerine 3 times, I guess I was taking control of the germs :) Then I did my hair and did a final check of all the things I "thought" I would need and we were off to the hospital.

I got there at 5:30 like they said and then I had to sit for about a half hour, then they came and took my husband and I back to the presurgurical waiting area. There they had me change into a gown and give a urine sample. Then I got in the bed and waited. The brought me those socks with the sticky dots on the bottom and double checked paper work and gave me what they called a Bari- Bear, which is really a cough bear with a t shirt they had printed the hospital name and the words Bari-bear. ( For some reason I dislike the bariatric association)

Then the nurse came to start the IV, she gave me this lidocane shot that made like a hissing noise and had a cold feeling to it, truth be told that shot bothered me more than getting the iv. The first nurse who was being trained clearly did not have "the touch" and messed up the first one so then they switched nurses and hands and the second try went off without a hitch. ( moral of the story, tell them you want someone good at getting the iv in) I have good veins so I know it was the person and not me, but as a rule IVs and blood draws dont bother me, I just look the other way and think of something else and then it is over.

Next the anestilogist came in and went over some things and asked me if I had any concerns, I told him I was getting nervous and he said not to worry that the nurse would be there soon with the pre op meds. He was not kidding, after those shots I hardly remember being wheeled down the hall. I definitely do not remember getting to the OR or even back to my regular room :) They will take good care of you!

I was just sleeved on Dec 1st. My hospital staff was awesome. The bariatric Nurse who did our presurgery nutrition class and also runs the seminar came in and again asked if we had any questions. She is also a gastric bypass patient so she completely understands what we were going through. I was prescribed Lovenax for the blood thinner and I had to give that to myself with the nurse so they could see that I knew what I was doing. (I am was on those shots for 14 days at home) Once they moved me to pre surgery room the anesthesia (they had 2 nurses for surgery) actually placed the iv in the underside of my arm. They asked a few more questions then gave me, I think some kind of relaxant. I barely remember going into the operatiing room. Next thing I remember I was in my room. During the hospital stay ( I was released the next morning) they nurses where wonderful. I had in IV pain medication-toradyl and did not need anything more than that but I did have orders if I needed more. Everyone has different pain threshold and it appears that mine are kinda high, don't be afraid to ask for something if you need more. I am jus squeamish about the blood thinner shots but I am doing it because it was it best for me and it is not for ever. Good luck and you will do fine.

I just had my surgery last Thursday with Dr. Aceves in Mexico. They gave medication to calm you and I don't really remember going in the OR or most of the day. I must be honest and tell you that I had a little more pain than some of the others on the ward and kept asking for pain medicine. My best friend was my heating pad. i don't know if all hospitals allow you to use them but it helped tremendously when i was uncomfortable. i also noticed that if I used it for a few minutes before getting out of bed it wasn't so uncomfortable either. I also recommend to people not to try and "brave it out" by not taking pain medicine. Take the medicine and then once it kicks in walk as much as you can at the hospital. it will get the gas pains to go away and makes you feel so much better. I only had the one day (the day after surgery) when I was uncomfortable and now I feel pretty good. I live in a 2 story and go up and down the stairs, did a small load of laundry, loaded the dishwasher. All very slow but it was better than laying on the couch all day. good luck on your surgery!!!

This is the first time I have joined and commented on any forum. I feel really good that there are so many supports groups willing to talk and share their experiences. Your feedback has been outstandingly positive on the sleeve which is the option I have chosen. I have my first appointment tommorow December 14th with the physician and nutritionist and since they could not get all three appts in I meet with the psychologist January 3rd. I am so excited and not once have I been nervous or had any fear about this, I feel confident and at peace with my decision to move fwd to freedom from my battle with obesity. I am on the lower bmi end and I am very thankful and hopeful there is a solution to end the madness of losing and gaining of which I have battled to no avail all my life, it is time for the yo yo weightloss drama to end, today is a new day. I would love to hear your comments, this is the beginning of my journey. I love hearing all of your hearts out there. Stay encouraged. Peace.

I completely agree with free to live. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and stories! I can't even tell you how much it relieves my anxiety about this whole thing...

Are the relaxation meds in pill form or do they give these to you through the IV?

Thank you so much for the advice..I will definitely be asking for the valium..

hope to chat with you guys soon!

Yep don't turn down the free relaxing drugs..They are awesome you wll look at whoever is with you with that glazed eyed look and not have a care in the world. Nothing like it...