Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Always been overweight!!!

I have been overweight all my life. I am not a vane person but my question is what do you see when you are at your target weight when you have never seen anything other than being heavy all your life. The doc that did my psyc led me to ask this from the experience sleevers. When you look in the mirror how do you see yourself now and how does that make you feel,(emotions..etc.. )I really don't know what I am going to do not seeing that big person looking at me..

For the first solid 12 months post-op (6 months at goal), I didn't recognize the reflection in store windows, or if I walked passed a mirror quickly, I'd do a double take. Now, at almost 18 months out, I see the "real me", I no longer reach for larger size clothes, I'm always challenging myself to fit into the next smaller size which is a 0 in most stores. Some stores I can easily slide into the 2, but the 0's aren't going on to save my life. I don't see my imperfections as harshly as I did 3-4 months ago. I've pretty come to accept that this is how I'm going to look without plastics. I will be going for a consult with a plastic surgeon (3-4 actually) within the next few months because I do want some work done on my breasts, and I want either a Tummy Tuck or a full lower body lift plus a TT. It just kind of depends on what I can get insurance to cover. I feel amazing when I look in the mirror. Staring at my naked, deflated body can be a bit much some days, but those days are few and far between the days where I look in the mirror, seeing all my scars, stretch marks and wrinkly skin honestly make me smile because I feel like I've finally arrived. I may look like a wilted prune to anyone else, but I think I look pretty phenomenal after what my body has endured the last 2 years. I don't think I'll every be fully content just like I wasn't fully happy with my fat rolls, and enormous size pre-op, but I have accepted that this is what I will look like, and that until I can get surgical intervention, I'm not going to beat myself up over my little flaws.

I love looking down when I sit in an airplane seat and see major inches of seat on both sides of my thighs. I love looking down and realizing "Hot damn, I have a lap now". I love being to lay flat in bed, and look down the entire length of my body and see my toes without raising my head to look over my stomach.

I have been overweight all my life. I am not a vane person but my question is what do you see when you are at your target weight when you have never seen anything other than being heavy all your life. The doc that did my psyc led me to ask this from the experience sleevers. When you look in the mirror how do you see yourself now and how does that make you feel,(emotions..etc.. )I really don't know what I am going to do not seeing that big person looking at me..

I totally know what you mean. I have lost about 70 pounds but am in no way seeing myself in the mirror as I really look. If it were not for my clothes size dropping drastically and positive feedback from friends and one close friend in particular, I might be questioning if this is even working. But, I keep telling myself that I have no choice but to deal with the positive changes and accept my new self. Not that I don't want to. As you said, when you've been one way all your life, it's unimaginable to see yourself differently.

I look in the mirror and I can KIND OF see the change in myself but not really - you know what I mean? Every now and then I'll catch a glimpse of a body part at a certain angle or something and I can clearly see the change. But it's hard to see the overall change. I still struggle with accepting general compliments about my weight loss and positive attention from men. How wierd!

But, I survived this surgery and the initial postop difficulties, so I've decided that the rest will fall into place. I think by the time I reach goal, I'll be much more aware of and accepting of the new me. An important part of this is to maintain contact with the people who provide encouragement post op and to decrease contact with the haters and negativity mongers - even if they're family members. This kind of interaction can make you doubt yourself even in the face of obvious weight loss. Who needs that?!!

I have been overweight all my life too. I remembered seeing a site years ago that would show you what you might look like at a different weight so I did a search. I think this is the same site, but I haven't delved into it much yet. I thought maybe I could get a glimpse foreshadowing that which is to come. (sorry, too many scrooge commercials lately have a bad influence on me). Thought I would try it just so I would know who to look for in the store windows...

http://www4.weightmirror.com/weightmirror/index.php?id=

I'm no where close to goal yet, but even with having lost 45lbs so far, I don't see a change in the mirror. My face doesn't look smaller to me, my body doesn't look smaller, I still feel like I look 333lbs. When I put on clothes, however, it's obvious that I'm not as big as I used to be because my old pants are falling off. I'm excited to eventually be able to see the change and not just have other people say they can see it.

I have been overweight all my life as well. I have lost 80 pounds and still don't see a huge change in the mirror. BUT... the other day we took some "after" pics and I was amazed. I think that day helped me see what a difference my sleeve has made already and it gave me the push I needed to keep up the good fight. I still have 50 pounds to lose, but the pics really gave me the motivation I needed.

It is easy to slide in to bad habits, and after reaching "onederland" I had gotten a little lackadaisical about my carbs and exercise.

I know every day I find a surprise with my weight loss...

*being able to see the seat beside me when I sit down

*having a lap for my grand daughter to sit on

*being able to sit cross legged on the floor

*fitting through an opening between two chairs that I knew I couldn't fit through before

*looking at my pants out of the dryer and wondering whose they are

*being able to shop all day without my feet hurting

These are just things that happened in the last couple of days!

Take the tool you have been given and run with it. I know, I will never look back!

It's weird, I don't feel HUGE, but sometimes I still feel like I'm pushing 200 lbs and realizing I'm much smaller than I think is a surprise. Just recently, I was sitting next to someone who is definitely not overweight and suddenly realized my hips took up as much space in the chair as hers. I was like, "Wait, is that what my current size is? Holy crap!"

Even funnier....the other day I complained to my boyfriend that he had adjusted the rearview mirror in the car, but he said he didn't. Then later that day I was at the theater next to my friend who's about 230 lbs and realized she's like a foot taller than me when she's seated, even though we're the same height when we are standing. Then it hit me - no one adjusted the rearview mirror, my ass shrank so much that I'm like 6" shorter when I'm sitting! LOL!

This question was asked by the doc that was doing my eval..My jaw just dropped to the floor I had a answer for everything but this question.. I do appreciate your opinions very much..Acceptance of what you look like is going to be a long long journey for me..For me I have been emotionally abused as a child and I just pray everyday that the weight I am going to lose will help me with my self esteem as well as my confidence.

For the first solid 12 months post-op (6 months at goal), I didn't recognize the reflection in store windows, or if I walked passed a mirror quickly, I'd do a double take. Now, at almost 18 months out, I see the "real me", I no longer reach for larger size clothes, I'm always challenging myself to fit into the next smaller size which is a 0 in most stores. Some stores I can easily slide into the 2, but the 0's aren't going on to save my life. I don't see my imperfections as harshly as I did 3-4 months ago. I've pretty come to accept that this is how I'm going to look without plastics. I will be going for a consult with a plastic surgeon (3-4 actually) within the next few months because I do want some work done on my breasts, and I want either a Tummy Tuck or a full lower body lift plus a TT. It just kind of depends on what I can get insurance to cover. I feel amazing when I look in the mirror. Staring at my naked, deflated body can be a bit much some days, but those days are few and far between the days where I look in the mirror, seeing all my scars, stretch marks and wrinkly skin honestly make me smile because I feel like I've finally arrived. I may look like a wilted prune to anyone else, but I think I look pretty phenomenal after what my body has endured the last 2 years. I don't think I'll every be fully content just like I wasn't fully happy with my fat rolls, and enormous size pre-op, but I have accepted that this is what I will look like, and that until I can get surgical intervention, I'm not going to beat myself up over my little flaws.

I love looking down when I sit in an airplane seat and see major inches of seat on both sides of my thighs. I love looking down and realizing "Hot damn, I have a lap now". I love being to lay flat in bed, and look down the entire length of my body and see my toes without raising my head to look over my stomach.

Tiffy, I'm glad you brought up the insurance issue. Is it possible to have those surgeries covered by insurance? I figured I'd just have to roll my boobs up and stuff them in the bra cups, and be happy with that! I'd be interested to know what the criteria is to cover the different surgeries you want and that I'm sure I'll need! Thanks for always being an encouragement!

I haven't been overweight all my life, but yes up and down, my highest weight being around 225 pounds a few months before surgery. In the last few years I have avoided looking at my body in any mirrors, windows or anything that reflected my body. Yesterday I was doing a zumba class and was looking at myself (i used not even look at the mirrors in the gym either) it was a great feeling not to be disgusted of my body anymore, even though I still have about 22 pounds to lose I know I am stil a bit chubby, especially around my tummy, it was and is very emotional for me:P

Tiffy, I'm glad you brought up the insurance issue. Is it possible to have those surgeries covered by insurance? I figured I'd just have to roll my boobs up and stuff them in the bra cups, and be happy with that! I'd be interested to know what the criteria is to cover the different surgeries you want and that I'm sure I'll need! Thanks for always being an encouragement!

My insurance will cover a Tummy Tuck and breast implants. The tummy tuck will be covered due to skin issues that I've had documented by my PCM since January, and I'm having my boob job covered based on the fact that it is emotionally and mentally affecting me. With Tricare, it's a pain in the butt to get approval, but it can be done.

Documentation is the key to getting any insurance to cover plastics. I make sure every time I see my PCM he looks at my abdomen, and he documents the irritation and scarring even if I'm in his office for a head cold. I have 2 large stretchmarks from pregnancy that get irritated, and only surgery will resolve it. I've known people to purposely cause irritation under the skin, and take pictures of their progress to document their skin issues so insurance will cover plastics. I have photos of my stomach, and lower regions.

I would like to have a lower body lift with abdominoplasty, and will look at all options. With our insurance, I have a girlfriend here that had RNY, and she had it done. Tricare covered 2/3 of the surgery. They didn't pay the surgeon's fee for the lower body lift portion, but all the hospital charges, anesthesia, and hospitalization fees were covered. She paid a nominal fee to the surgeon directly for the lower body lift portion of her surgery. I'll be going to the same surgeon, and 2 others down here to have consultations.

I've decided to start working out again because I know I could tone up a lot of my flabbiness just by working out, and it'll be a solid 6-12 months before I have any work done. Plus, since I'm trying to get pregnant, plastics are secondary to baby LOL.

That's great news, Tiffykins! I had no idea there was ANY possibility of having breast implants covered. I had heard the Tummy Tuck was often covered. Guess I'll just have to see how my skin turns out, what kind of problems it causes, and what my insurance covers. I have United Healthcare, and they are covering 100% of my surgery, so maybe they are more cooperative than most.

I imagine finding the right plastic surgeon is a daunting task. That's one thing I'm dreading. But maybe it's no harder than finding the right bariatric surgeon.

Congratulations on working on a baby! I had one, and he's a grown man now, but he was and is one of the greatest blessings of my life.