Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon is a newbie

I myself choose my surgeon over one closer because he had more experience - I am also self pay.

If this is truly the only surgeon you can use - I would find out everything about him I can - his other surgeries, problems,etc... See if you can locate any of his former patients. Then you just have to look at all of your information and make the best INFORMED decision you can. If you don't think you trust him, then don't use him for surgery. Wait and see what comes up on the horizion. I know I can say that so easily, but your health and well-being is involved!!! I hope you are able to find the right decision and can go with it with peace and comfort. :cool:

Terry

I say....Go for it!

If he is the only choice you have then I say ....Go for it!

Don't let his inexperience put you off.

I'm sure the surgeon will be great and if the aftercare is good then you should be fine

After all, every surgeon has to start somewhere.

Hi,

personally I would go for it. You dont have another choice and also he might be new to this, but he must have undergone training and also he will be more carefull since he is new to it.Fine, other docs might have done thousands of bands but it gets stereotype to them. When you were doing something for teh first time you were more carefull than once you have done it over again for like 1000 time.Right? dont worry you will be fine! Good luck

HunnyBun

Dont sweat it that he has not done a lot of lapbands. I was my doctors first and he got it in perfect. The question I would ask him is if he has done a lot of bariatric surgeries before. Remember if he has done the gastric bypass surgery that is a lot more complicated than the lapband. It's not like the guy just got outta school!

I think it is most import that the doctor has experience with the anatomy involved in the surgery. My surgeon had done thousands of RNY but was fairly new with the band. Overall I've been very happy with no complications. Good Luck!!!

I had the procedure done, and I went for the most experienced who wasn't close to me.

There is a new doctor, who is starting banding in our area. I have known him as a fantastic laproscopic surgeon for almost 2 decades, and now he has decided to do this surgery.

So he went to all the conferences, got a partner that taught him, watched, and has done a few. From what I understand, he does a fine job because he's so skilled with a laprascope.

If that's the only way my insurance would cover it, I would probably do it. But I'd like to know how those other patients were doing, and perhaps even talk to one anyhow - just to make myself feel better.

Now, my surgeon - has done a LOT, tons of clientele - he's busy, he's rushed, it's impersonal, he rarely gives me advice, my appointments last mere minutes (usually less than 4).

So - this new guy, the tradeoff might mean he knows your name, he spends more time with you and you get great follow up care. I know I don't, and my weight loss is going down in small amounts.

my surgeon was fairly new to lapbands. She is the best thing that ever happened to me. I actually liked the idea of having a newer surgeon. I wasn't "just another one of the thousands" When I called, the staff and doctor knew exactly who i was. etc. I would go for it!

My surgeon is a general surgeon with laproscopic expertise. He isn't a bariatric surgeon, and I was his 11th patient. He was GREAT. I wouldn't have traded him for any one else. My scars look great, and I was never in very much pain, and so far he has held my hand every step of the way. And fills are free. (self pay). I say if your confident in the doctor then go for it. It all depends on if you trust the guy or not.

When I first went in for my consultation with my surgeon in January he had only done a dozen or so bands. When I went back for preop in April he had done somewhere are 50 or so. I got quite a bit of grief via PM about choosing a "less experinced" band surgeon but I am totally happy with my choice. He has been doing laproscopic surgery for over 20 years and pioneered the laproscopic galbladder procedure in Colorado.

I feel that because he is not turning out several bands a day he has more time to focus on each patient and make sure things are going as they should. I feel like I get a lot more personalized attention from him and his staff. My appointments usually last 30 minutes or so! I really appreciate the way that I am treated as a patient and as a person by him and his office.

I'm not trying to knock anyone elses choices with going with a doc that has done thoudsands of bands... just trying to explain my feelings and what brought me to my choice.

Good luck in your decision!

My surgeon had only done 40 bands when I got banded and I had posted this same question. I heard from quite a few people who were banded by newbie band surgeons and none of them had any problems. I'm four months out and so far am very happy with my decision. LAP Band surgery is a much easier sugery for these surgeons than almost any other laproscopic surgery. One quote sticks in my mind by a girl whose surgeon told her "compared to the bypass, inserting a LAP Band is like clipping a toenail". That make me feel alot better. I'm sure you'll be fine!

I was my doctor's 1st, I have absolutely no regrets....GO FOR IT. Sometimes I think it's better they're new, they tend to be more conscious and less over confident. I too was self pay.

Good luck!

I was the first person banded by my doctor. I had every confidence in him. Remember that doctors being trained have to assist on many before they do one themselves. Also, Inamed usually has representitives with the surgeon the first few times that they do it to make sure that everything goes smoothly. It is natural to be nervous, but don't totally discount the guy because he hasn't done thousands. If he is a sergeon then he knows how the body works and is more than capable of doing more than one type of surgery. He has decieded to broaden his knowledge and that is great for you. Good luck!