Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon is a newbie

He has only done 6 lap band surgeries so far.

He has done a lot of different kind of surgeries but not the band.

By the time I finish my 6 month diet he will have a bit more experience under his belt, but I'm still wondering...

What do you guys think?

I personally went with experience and success rate. The more they know the better your surgery will be. I know they have to start somewhere. I just chose not for it to me. My surgeon has done over 3,000. One of the things he does is a extra stitch so the band doesn't slip. I am into this less than 24 hours and I feel pretty good. No gas, no pain. This might change as the days go on, but for now I'm feeling great.

Wow Hunny...you are very brave. My hubby and I get banded on the 23rd in Mexico by a Dr. who has done thousands of bands. Like alot of banders, we could have afforded to self pay here in the states, but chose Mexico because of the surgeon experience. Also....we just called to ask about this for the first time about 10 days ago and our surgery is ten days away. I don't think I have the patience for a 6 month diet before surgery......I want it done yesterday. Good luck....I am sure everything will go perfectly smooth for you.

:confused:

I dunno? I am one who wouldn't be bothered too much by that. There is a certain procedure, certain placement. As you have said, he has done other surgeries and if he weren't confident that he couldn't do the procedure, 'doing no harm' that he would have a more experienced surgeon present to assist and observe....

eta.......What you could do is ask 3 of his patients to contact you for moral support or referral or guidance.

I had contact with a previous patient before I went in for surgery once. I can't remember how we got to contact each other, but I think the doctor asked her to contact me. It was comforting to email back and forth with her.

I personally would not even consider it.

I know that they are trained by Inamed, but I am a firm believer in experience. If complications arise (band related) then I would want someone who knows what they are doing.

He's the only one that will accept my insurance and works in the hospital, not by himself. He is on hospital staff and everything happens there, from support group, to the 16 week diet, to fills and everything.

If I don't do it with him then I can't do it at all :confused:

Well, has he done any kind of gastric surgery or even done the bypass? What are his #'s on those? Getting in there and getting out are the same with the bypass and the band.. its the middle thats different.

Hey there! don't be nervous about your new surgeon, because these surgeons have to be very well trained before they perform the lap-band. And if he was a surgeon before he knows the risks trust your doctor he most likely knows what he is doing. Have a great day!

He's the only one that will accept my insurance and works in the hospital, not by himself. He is on hospital staff and everything happens there, from support group, to the 16 week diet, to fills and everything.

If I don't do it with him then I can't do it at all :confused:

Is there another more experienced surgeon that accepts your insurance in a surrounding area? Maybe you could go with a more experienced surgeon and do your follow up care with him?

I know everyone has to start somewhere, but it stands to reason that his level of confidence would be higher if he had more successful surgeries under his belt. Which would translate into (hopefully) a higher success rate for you...

Hunnybun,

Who is your insurance carrier and in which city and state are you located? Go out to www.yahoo.com and in the search box input the words bariatric your city your state (e.g., bariatric san antonio texas). This should get you started on finding any other bariatric surgeons in your area.

Also, have you checked with your insurance company to find out how you can view a list of their in-network providers online? You'll probably find there is someone with more experience available, although you may have to drive a little bit further out of your way. The surgeons may not be listed under the "Bariatric Surgery" umbrella with your insurance company, but rather "General Surgery."

From my research on lapband surgery, half of a patient's success has to do with the surgeon's skills. If he messes up, you will pay the price.

The other half of the equation is whether or not you follow the guidelines and put in the effort to lose the weight.

Personally, there's absolutely no way I would go with a surgeon who has little experience. I care about my body and my success way too much. Even if it would save me some money going with someone who is less experienced, I'd prioritize my health before saving some money (and I'm just guessing that's why you'd even consider it, right?).

Hmm, everyone has to be a newbie sometime. It would make me uncomfortable though, but I think to me, what the most important factor would be is aftercare. Its the skills, knowledge etc that's important, the physical act of putting the band in place will no doubt be done perfectly well by him as he is already a surgeon. Its not like his maiden voyage! And you're right, by the time he gets to your turn, he'll have been practicing on other people.

But I'd want the support of people who were experienced in what people went through after they had their bands. Your doc needs to be able to recognise signs and symptoms of trouble and he needs to be past having his own opinions on the way things should be done and have a good view about what real people's experiences are.

I am not trying to save money. I simply can not afford to self pay.

My insurance is state provided and they are really bad in illinois. Any surgeon I went to said they don't accept anymore.

A year ago I actually found a surgeon and later in the process got a letter stating they no longer accept state.

There was another doctor who I found but when I went to an information session with his program director I was so dissapointed to find that she is truly dumb and doesn't know half the stuff I know. She didn't speak at all from her head but read everything from a sheet of paper. She kept mispronouncing words, but when I asked about a 'fill' she had the nerve to correct me and said it's not a fill, it's an adjustment. She didn't do well with answering questions either.

I just couldn't go through with a surgeon who has a dumbass on his staff.

I later found out that this doctor is planning on cancelling state because they don't pay.

Illinois medicaid is ridiculus. No doctor wants to work with them.

I just don't know where to look, when I got a list from medicaid of surgeons, only 5 on that list said they still accept medicaid, and only two did lap bands.

Take it and run with it, girl! Even if he's inexperienced and you have complications and have to have the surgery done again someplace else, you won't have lost out on a ton of money because your insurance is covering ti.