Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wish they could just take a 1 week vacation from the Band?

I have recently spoken to a bandster who has been banded since Nov. She said she would still have the surgery all over again. BUT, she wished she could still eat more of the foods she was currently eating. Just to have their good taste. She even remarked that she wished every now and then she could take a week vacation from the band and eat as much as she really wanted to eat of a food. She also said that she gets depressed because she can't have bread toasted or plain.

Now someone explain those things to me please. I thought that the band made you feel full and satisfied. That was the main reason I decided to postpone the LB surgery was because of this persons insight.

I ALREADY feel that way about food NOW when on typical diets.

So why does she still feel this way about food after having the band for 7 months. I thought those feelings about food went away.

:)

It doesnt feel that way for me. I feel as if I am eating as much as I want and I can even go the whole hog and pig out on a food. The difference is for me, a cup of that food will leave me with that totally blissful, stuffed stupor that previously would have taken five or six times more. So I feel as I get to enjoy food just as much as I did before only now it takes less to find the off switch.

I think I can understand it. My weight came from not being able to stop when I start eating. I love good food. I just want to keep eating and eating. So, I gained weight.

Now I am banded, but those feelings didn't just go away. Yes, I am full after a few bites. but those old feelings are still there. I really don't want to stop. Last night, I was in that place. I was full, but didn't want to stop. Someone came to the door so I was interupted for a few minutes. When I returned, I was able to put the unfinished food away for today. Once I actually stopped, I was OK. I just didn't want to stop while I was eating. Does that make sense?

I can totally understand wanting a bandless vacation. The really cool thing about the band is... right about the time I don't WANT the band, I have to realize that THAT is exactly when I NEED the band.

If you eat when you are hungry, you will be able to eat until you are NOT hungry. The band is made for that.

If food is a coping mechanism or if you are all about stuffing or quantity, the band is going to make you stop before you are "satisfied".

If you are looking to stuff an emotion you will have to try something else because it will stick in your throat like a fiery golfball.

Like has been said so many times on this board, there is a definite learning curve. Some people get it right off, others learn the hard way.

It teaches me about myself every day. It is teaching me about the last 20 years of bad behavior, teaching me how to fix it, and teaching me how to be healthy for myself and my family. I love my band!

She even remarked that she wished every now and then she could take a week vacation from the band and eat as much as she really wanted to eat of a food. She also said that she gets depressed because she can't have bread toasted or plain.

Now someone explain those things to me please. I thought that the band made you feel full and satisfied. That was the main reason I decided to postpone the LB surgery was because of this persons insight.

I ALREADY feel that way about food NOW when on typical diets.

So why does she still feel this way about food after having the band for 7 months. I thought those feelings about food went away.

:confused:

These are feelings that differ from person to person, Nellie. As Morsaille said, it's times like these that the band is doing its job! If we want to get away from morbid obesity, we have to EAT LESS. There is just no getting around that. If we're not prepared to do that on a regular, consistent, permanent basis, WLS surgery is a huge waste of time and money.

Being banded makes eating less easier--PHYSICALLY. But it's not able to erase the mental attraction or compulsion that some people may have toward food. Personally, I found it MUCH easier to just walk away when I was no longer hungry; being banded created a feeling of fullness in me that let me put down my fork before I'd eaten the house. But not everyone finds that to be the case, and only you can know if being banded will do it for you. You have to be completely honest with yourself and decide if you are ready to walk away from the table. If you're not ready--and it sounds like your friend wasn't, not quite--I think you're right to wait on surgery.

I have to say that I have worried about that too. My surgery is 7 days away and I am on a pre op diet. I just realized that food is my best friend. I am not a grazer but I do love rich tasty food and lots of it. I realize that it is a problem and maybe mentally this surgery will help me fix it.

Let's see... your issues were bread & huge portions, right? If you maybe had to give up bread, but were able to get completely full on a very small portion, would it be worth losing the weight to you? If yes, continue to inquire about the band. If no, continue being obese.

If one person's story is enough to make you doubt your decision, then maybe it's not the right decision for you - at least not now.

Honestly - if you're still considering the band, it sounds like you're ready to spend some time with the psychologist, and I mean more than once, and I mean regardless of what stage of the process you're in. My advice would be "Don't wait until it's official pre-op visit." I hate seeing stories of emotional eaters who have one obligatory psych visit, and then wonder why their efforts are so difficult.

wheetsin, you give the best advice..... lap bands are a tool. not magic lap bands. IF no one talks you into the surgery no one could talk you out of the surgery. When I read negative things about pb's, Hair loss, slippage, i get a little nervous but my supportive friends say, "don't think about those things, you are committed to this you and will make it work for you." Pre surgery jitters are normal for every surgery but if some one can make a few statements and make you change your surgery date...... it is probably not the right decision for you.... atleast not right now.

I have been banded for a little over 7 months. I have not wanted to take a vacation from my band for a week.

Like someone else said, those feelings differ from person to person. I just love my band and what it has done for me. I would be devastated to lose my band for even one day. It keeps me in check.

I tell EVERYONE this...

The only things I can not have with the band are the things that made me get up to 365 lbs in the first place. Why in the world would I want to get back to that weight. bread, and cake and pastas are not something I need to eat ever again to be a healthy person. Yes, every once in a blue moon I get a whiff of Subway's bread and my mouth waters for about a second and then I look in the mirror and see the person I am not... and I could care less about some bread.

I've been banded almost three years. I had a complete unfill about a month and a half ago due to reflux. I have spent that time eating things and amounts I hadn't for three years...and I loved every minute of it! I did feel like I was on a band vacation. And it tasted so good. But you know what- after a few weeks it started to not feel so good. I felt bloated. I felt like food consummed me again...it was on my mind every waking moment. I felt like a drug addict again waiting for the next available opportunity to get my fix. I remembered what it felt like before I was banded to eat a whole meal and still want another whole meal. I missed feeling that satiety of being satisfied after a small amount of food. It's funny that three or four bites of something can make me feel more satisfied than a whole big plate or two at the Chinese Buffet.

The band works on satiety- being satisfied not necessarily full- for me anyway.

Like I mentioned, I had a fill yesterday and it was such a comforting feeling to know that I have my tool back in action and on my side. I feel like this is my second chance to loose more weight and get to my goal of 100 pounds lost in three years.

So, in a very long answer to your question- everyone is different with the band and you really don't know how you will feel until your banded. Some people are like me and are still a complete food addict but the band helps me manage it.

Megan

My first reaction to the question asked was, "Nope, because then I'd have 2 or 3 pounds to lose all over again!" :confused:

Thanks for your quick responses. I don't like pies, cakes, brownies, steak or porkchops. So I thought this surgery might be right up my alley. But still deliberating.

I'm still doing the preop diet. Its really odd. I forgot how much I thought about food. For example, I thought I want to go see a movie, but it would kill me not to have the popcorn. So I just want go see a movie. So, its a combination of HOW much that keeps me full its the What I Want that gives me feeling of satiety. I'm a super picky eater. People think thats ironic, a fat picky eater. But I like very few vegetables, fruits and very few meats.

To the response that if one person could change my mind about LB surgery, thats not true. Ive had everyone AND I MEAN EVERY SINGLE SOUL, I told the idea to, say you don't need it, you can do it w/o surgery, You are not overweight enough to have this done. I just shrugged all the Naysayers off until I spoke to an actual person who had the surgery done.

I can totally understand wanting a bandless vacation. The really cool thing about the band is... right about the time I don't WANT the band, I have to realize that THAT is exactly when I NEED the band.

That is the hard truth. But how do you get over being sad/bitter/slighted/depressed, about not being able to have more. I eat mostly out of boredom and it honestly feels good and normal to eat a fast food meal in front of my tv w/my husband. I won't take a bite until we've found a program we both want to watch. It just enhances the whole experience. I feel retarded for actually saying that outloud.

That is the hard truth. But how do you get over being sad/bitter/slighted/depressed, about not being able to have more. I eat mostly out of boredom and it honestly feels good and normal to eat a fast food meal in front of my tv w/my husband. I won't take a bite until we've found a program we both want to watch. It just enhances the whole experience. I feel retarded for actually saying that outloud.

My husband and I eat in front of the TV, too. I know, I know, all the recommendations are to sit down and pay attention to your food. Well, that just feels odd, to me. We have always eaten in front of TV since the kids have left the nest. I am not having any trouble slowing down. I still have trouble wanting to eat too much and sitting at table doesn't change that. I haven't had my first fill yet, so that may change. When I think I probably have had enough, I get up and walk around for a couple of minutes (commercials are really long). When I come back to the food, I can analyze whether I am still actually hungry or just eating because it's there and it tasted so good. So far, I really am not hungry anymore.

Ive had everyone AND I MEAN EVERY SINGLE SOUL, I told the idea to, say you don't need it, you can do it w/o surgery, You are not overweight enough to have this done. I just shrugged all the Naysayers off until I spoke to an actual person who had the surgery done.
Right - and please don't take this as argumentative so much as perhaps something to reflect on. I don't do argument, but I will do perception.

You seem like maybe you're in a bit of apples-to-oranges mode. A million people telling you that you don't need the band, and one person telling you that no bread makes her depressed -- totally different perspectives, totally different products.

Make sense? It's the difference between --

1. A bunch of people told me I don't need it, but I didn't listen.

2. One person told me she was depressed because she couldn't eat bread or big portions, so I postponed my surgery.

So as I see it, it's still a matter of one person changing your mind. "Every soul" you spoke with before, you were able to shrug off. "Just one person" is all it took for you to postpone. So it really seems like - as I said before - if just one person's anecdotes are enough to make you change your mind, perhaps it's not the best decision.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I have no place or interest in saying either. All I'm saying is - no matter how many people give you an opinion, if just one person can say something compelling enough to make you postpone your surgery, esp. since what she said was not a matter of life or death ("I almost died from this" would be vastly different from "I'm sad because I can't eat bread"), then maybe some more reflection, thought, and processing will do you good prior to making a decision one way or another.