Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op food checklist

Hello

I am getting sleeved on Dec 27, and am starting to prepare for my post op diet. So far the only thing I really have is a sample set of Chike Protein supplements. Im reading on different posts that tastes change after surgery so not to invest in one type of Protein Drink, so should I just gather a whole bunch of samples?

Also, I would like to know if I can get some assistance in creating a kind of checklist of items that "post oppers" have used through the clear liquid, full liquid and mushy stages, as well as any good recipes or tricks that you have discovered. I am a creature of habit and I don't have much variety in my diet, but I know things are going to change A LOT so I want to be prepared with plenty of options :)

Thanks a bunch!!

The Chike bannana is delish! I bought a bunch of samples... I bought the Chike samples, some samples from a local health food store, samples from Vitamin center, and Necta sample pack... plus a giant sample pack from True Protein. There aught to be something in there I like! (and probably quite a few I don't as well) I also found slimfast low carb ready to drink cans at the 99cent store...

The Chike bannana is delish! I bought a bunch of samples... I bought the Chike samples, some samples from a local health food store, samples from Vitamin center, and Necta sample pack... plus a giant sample pack from True Protein. There aught to be something in there I like! (and probably quite a few I don't as well) I also found slimfast low carb ready to drink cans at the 99cent store...

Wow :) Youre way ahead of me lol

So Im just gonna go around picking up samples here and there, also maybe a few different types of Crystal Light or Special K w Protein, etc. I think I will invest in a full sized container of the tasteless Protein powder, I dont think that my taste buds will be THAT picky :)

Good luck with surgery!

Here's a bit of advice I found for preparing for surgery :)

http://gastricbypasstruth.com/before-gastric-bypass-surgery/pre-gastric-bypass-surgery-checklist/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting your “ducks in a row” before going to the hospital can make your return home that much smoother.

Here’s a checklist of the things you’ll want to have in order before you go:

• Take your before pictures and measurements. In the months to come you’re going to have a hard time gauging your progress. For example, my family had pictures made for a church directory about 3 months after my surgery. I was in tears when I saw the photo and couldn’t see any difference. But when I compared that photo to my “before” pic, I could really see it and felt much better.Also, the measurements are for those times that the scale stops moving. And it will. But often during those times you continue to lose inches. Knowing this can save a whole lot of sanity.
  • Get the house really really clean. Cuz you’re not going to be able to work on it when you get back, so the cleaner you start the longer it will take to get to “disaster” stage. Get all the laundry done in advance because you won’t be lifting for at least a couple of weeks.
  • Get help lined up. You really won’t want to be alone the first several days after surgery. And if you have children, you absolutely MUST have someone else to watch them. The first week you’ll be sleeping a lot, interrupted only by bouts of walking slowly around the couch and constantly sipping Water. Your hormones will be haywire and you’ll be very emotional. You will be in no condition to supervise children. See the page on Hell Week, and plan accordingly.
  • Stock up on post-op supplies. Get samples of Protein powders and drinks, as your tastes will change post-op and what you like now may go to waste. Have lots of sugar-free popsicles, broth or bouillion cubes, pureed Soups with no chunks, Crystal Light or other sugar-free drink mixes, etc. You’ll also want a blender to mix Protein Drinks.
  • Pack your hospital bag. You’ll want to take things like chapstick and slippers, but don’t bother with pretty nightgowns or robes. Women (especially if you’re “well endowed”) may want to bring a bra that closes in the front and is easy to get on. Just ask for an extra gown to drape over your back so no one sees your backside while you’re walking. Do bring: walkman/ iPod, loose clothing to wear home, and maybe your own pillow. Don’t bother to bring: books, work, etc. You really won’t have time to read.
  • Start a journal. It will help with the brain surgery you have to perform on your self after the doc finishes with your insides. It will help you put the wild range of emotions you’re going to feel in perspective. And recording your journey will help you see later just how far you’ve come.
  • Record some goals, both short and long term. Make them something besides “I want to lose a pound a day for the next 5 months” as that may not be realistic. But do decide where you’d like to be at the end of this journey. What weight, what level of activity, what type of life. Be sure these goals are realistic and are things that weight loss will actually impact. For example, losing weight may make you more confident, but it won’t by itself make you stop whining and complaining about life. If you have goals that weight loss alone won’t achieve, now is the time to also plan how you’ll attack them. What will you do to make them happen in your life? You’re going to be focused on improving yourself for the next year anyway, why not go all out?
  • Savor your last moments of sanity. OK, that may be a bit strong, but the point is you’re about to embark on a very wild ride. Life as you know it is about to change. This is the time for the deep breath before the plunge.

There is no such thing as being over-prepared. It’s much better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Thanks for the info! Very useful

Hello:

I would like to start off by saying that this is all new to me, i am scheduled for a Sleeve Gastrectomy on Dec 23, 2010. And i was wondering if anyone that has undergone this procedure can tell me how to start from my Preop, i have instructions on a Deuodenal Switch, that is what i was thinking of doing, but decided to do the Sleeve instead so my booklet information is for a Switch and not for a Sleeve. Can anyone guide me as to what i need to do i know i have to be on a liquid diet i just don't know if its for two days prior to my surgery or two weeks, can someone help.I can say that im really uptigth as the days go by.I did however find the answer to my question so at least i know that much,I still feel like im in shock since i was told my surgery is a go.so 5days to go and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hope to here from you all

Thank you

nyliberty

Hello:

I would like to start off by saying that this is all new to me, i am scheduled for a Sleeve Gastrectomy on Dec 23, 2010. And i was wondering if anyone that has undergone this procedure can tell me how to start from my Preop, i have instructions on a Deuodenal Switch, that is what i was thinking of doing, but decided to do the Sleeve instead so my booklet information is for a Switch and not for a Sleeve. Can anyone guide me as to what i need to do i know i have to be on a liquid diet i just don't know if its for two days prior to my surgery or two weeks, can someone help.I can say that im really uptigth as the days go by.I did however find the answer to my question so at least i know that much,I still feel like im in shock since i was told my surgery is a go.so 5days to go and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hope to here from you all

Thank you

nyliberty

I was instructed to do Clear liquids the day before surgery. Clear broth, SF Jello, SF popsicles, crystal light, Water. Then, Clear Liquids for 7 days post op. Good luck!

Every post op diet is different for every surgeon. I was on 7 days Clear Liquids with Protein shakes mixed with skim milk. Then 7 days full liquids. Them 2 weeks mushies/ soft foods. The clear liquids was tough for me. It was a little easier on full liquids and I'm fine with mushies. Clear liquids include sf popsicles, sf Jello, broth, diluted apple juice and crystal light. I like the sugar free Hawaiian punch. I got tired of my Protein Shakes by the second week. The most important thing the first days home is to drink as much as possible. My nut suggested I chew on ice to help with wanting to chew. It helped some.

It is worth it. Good luck to you all.

Misty B, thank you for reasponding to my questions i appreciated it , going on the liquid diet it not the business, but oh well i guess that is just

the way things go.

Thanks again

nyliberty

I was instructed to do Clear Liquids the day before surgery. Clear broth, SF Jello, SF popsicles, crystal light, Water. Then, clear liquids for 7 days post op. Good luck!