Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing while losing

How have folks handled needing new clothes as the weight goes away? I have lost 40 pound pre op and had to get a pair of jean that would not fall down, but i am thinking that this could get expensive as the weight comes off. I hate to spend a lot on things I will not wear for more than a couple of months.

Some folks suggested Goodwill, but the thought of wearing a strangers things kinda bugs me.

What did you all do???

Believe me when I reach goal, I will splurge on a new wardrobe! (FYI) I wear uniforms at work so work clothes are not an issue.

I bought one pair of leggings with a nice top which I always wear when going out. Apart from that I bought three pairs of jeans lyrca stretchy ones., and when they start getting a bit loose I wash them in hot Water and put them in the tumble dryer real hot for a good hour so they shrink again. I too have a thing about second hand clothes so I've been managing a with a few bits and pieces, oh and 2 warm knitted sweaters, but just cheap ones and that's it!

I don't mind going to goodwill, so I will use that. I also have some smaller sizes in a bag in the closet that I will mine for stuff... I was thinking some drawstring pants and skirts will get me through a few sizes...have any smaller sisters or cousins you can borrow from?

I watched the sales. Kohls often has amazing sales, and if you are on their email list, you usually get coupons for as much as an additional 15% off of the sales price. I got a pair of jeans two weeks ago that were originally $36.00 for just $9.00. I felt pretty good about that.

Don't forget, we also having a clothing exchange forum here on VST as well.

I hit Goodwill and some consignment stores. Typically, the clothing at the consignment stores was better quality, and maybe just a few dollars more. I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for stuff because I knew I would wear things for less than a month. Old Navy has amazing clearances, and I would buy pants a little snug because I knew within a week or so, they'd fit perfectly. I wasn't working at the time so I was pretty set with just a couple pairs of jeans, and didn't have to worry about business casual clothes.

Ok I went to Goodwill and they were expensive to me for used clothing...I LOVE ROSS, and Marshalls. I have found items for the same price as Goodwill. Check them out :)

I agree about Old Navy! I've gotten amazingly cheap clothes at O.N. They have good sales around and after xmas. Maybe stock up on some different sizes while everything is on sale!

Well, I had to finally get over my heebie jeebies about buying stuff from Goodwill. I refused to do it first but now that I am down about 3 and 1/2 sizes since surgery, it is just too expensive to have enough nice clothes for work and some casual stuff for weekends at regular prices. I have been doing outlet stores and clearance racks but haven't been able to beat what I've found at Goodwill. I'm EXTREMELY picky about what I will buy there, especially with the pants. I inspect them very closely for wear and tear and only buy them if there is no wear and tear, especially in the crotch area. Most of the ones I bought recently look like they've never been worn. Since I have many nice items in my closet and clothes storage that have never been worn, it doesn't surprise me to find unused clothes at Goodwill. You do have to have a lot of patience to shop at Goodwill, which I don't usually have but the issue of expense has forced me to take more time to look for cheap clothes. I just got 4 pairs of pants and a nice shirt that I can wear to work for about $25. You can't beat that with a stick. When I got home, I washed everything in hot Water and plan to enjoy the new purchases. I still can't find everything I need there so I do need to branch out to Marshalls other similar places.

Well I guess I'm jealous of this "problem" of needing clothes in different sizes! I'm down 54 pounds and am still wearing the same tops I was wearing pre-op and the same pants I was wearing 1 month out post-op. And no, they are not comically large, the pants are nowhere near in danger of falling down. =( =( =( Yes I have added a belt but just because the pants are relaxed in the waist.

Who would have ever thought that you could lose over FIFTY pounds and still wear the same size?!?! I'm really really hoping to lose an additional 20 pounds before I go home for Christmas, maybe 75 pounds gone will finally see me putting on a smaller size? Yeesh.

Well I guess I'm jealous of this "problem" of needing clothes in different sizes! I'm down 54 pounds and am still wearing the same tops I was wearing pre-op and the same pants I was wearing 1 month out post-op. And no, they are not comically large, the pants are nowhere near in danger of falling down. =( =( =( Yes I have added a belt but just because the pants are relaxed in the waist.

Who would have ever thought that you could lose over FIFTY pounds and still wear the same size?!?! I'm really really hoping to lose an additional 20 pounds before I go home for Christmas, maybe 75 pounds gone will finally see me putting on a smaller size? Yeesh.

Well I can still wear tops I was wearing a couple of weeks before and after op, I realised I was wearing clothes that were way to tight :o

I`m a guy, I bought a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. tadaaa new wardrobe.

Don't be discouraged, weight comes off of ALL places, not just our gut. It took me 40 pounds to need new pants, but what I did not realize and think this is where pics and measuring will help you is that you will see a difference in your face, chin, neck, arms, upper chest ( Steve I know you don't have this problem, but I am a bra size smaller) butt and thighs and hips. I had been wearing the same size pants for 10 years, yet had gained about 50 pounds in that time, so going by clothes size can be very deceptive, you really have to look at the WHOLE picture (body). Chin up! 54 pounds is a wonderful achievement!

Stretchy stuff for casual clothes (like leggings suggested above). For dressier clothes, I've found an A-line pleated skirt with a stretchy waist. Skirts in general are easier to deal with while losing weight, IMO - they are much easier to take in. I've paid about $10 to take in a skirt, whereas for jeans, it cost me around $20. Besides, with pants, you also have to worry about how they fit around the thigh area, whereas with the skirt, it's just a matter of waist circumference. So tailoring things is another option, it will generally be cheaper than buying new items.

I used to think Goodwill was a crazy thought, but when you have nothing to wear and know you're going to go through clothes quick, it really is a viable option. If you take your time and go through everything you may even find clothes with the original tags still on them. I've found this several times.

Also, if you go to places like the Nordstrom Rack you will find some really cute stylish clothes for really cheap. Especially on the clearance racks!!

Here's something else I don't think many give credit to... Get a belt! It will get you through an additional size or two. ;o) I bought one for when my 14's and 16's get too big. I only have a few pairs of anything smaller and really, I'm going to wear these clothes out most likely until I hit size 8 or smaller. Anyhow, I've already started needing it. I bought a good quality genuine leather belt and it doesn't look chintzy or anything.

Happy shopping!!