Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you "cheat" on your pre-op?

I am curious if anyony cheated on their pre-op diets? My diet is a shake for Breakfast, low fat lunch (turkey sandwich) and a shake for dinner! I am supposed to not go over 1200 calories a day and not a single day thus far (today is day 5) have I even come close to that many calories. I am HUNGRY today and I am really craving some Pasta but I don't know if I should go for it or not. I'm not talking about to excess but a serving! I still have 10 days before surgery! I know people who didn't even have to do a special diet just did 24 hours of liquids before!

I really don't know if that would be allowed truth be told, but you could minimize the damage by maybe having wholewheat Pasta or Dreamfields pasta (Atkins friendly) and have it with a low fat sauce.

Thankfully I didn't have a pre-op "diet" only 2 days of Clear Liquids prior to surgery. And nope I didn't cheat, but 2 days is hardly a test. I feel for those of you who have to endure weeks of dieting before surgery.

Are you not to have carbs? Because when you say turkey sandwich, I'm thinking there is bread involved in that ...but maybe I'm wrong? I would think that 10 days you will probably have a chance to undo any "harm" caused by a serving of Pasta...BUT I am not a dr.

This is something that helped me (again only 2 days of clears) but I envisioned the dr. cutting open my stomach and finding some undigested food in there....I know that is yucky, but it helped me mentally stay on plan.

I re-read all my information last night and all it says is a Low Fat diet, so not taking in more then 1200 cal per day and gives Examples of what to eat! Even after having Pasta (which was whole wheat and the amount of sause I use is only 5 cal) last night I only intook 900+ cal for the day! I have actually been having troubles eating 1200 everyday, I've been averaging around 900!

My pre-op diet was full liquids. On the first night, I was making roasted cauliflower Soup and I made the mistake of tasting a piece of the roasted cauliflower and then I couldn't stop. Ate it all. No soup for me! I still did fine and my liver was in good shape for the surgery.

I cheated but only within my "food pool". I had some low cal microwave dinners so on a Sunday I had two instead of one and I had an additional Protein Bar a few times.

My surgeon had me buy the food, and they were really cautioning me to go and eat other foods.

I had a 14 day pre op diet and whe nasked if I cheated I always say yes and no. Here is why,

I certainly chewed up anything I felt like eatting, but I never swallowed I always spit it out, I only ever swallowed liquids. This helped me dramatically because I got the craving out of my system without blowing my diet. I am 4 days post op now with no issues, so to answer your question, my mouth certainly cheated but my stomach never did.

I think if you are supposed to be eating 1200 a day, and it doesn't specify anything beyond that, then you probably just fine. I think the time to be really careful about keeping to liquids is the day before surgery and the 2 weeks after.

I have stuck with mine VERY closely for the most part.

However, on day 8 I'm feeling MISERABLE. I can hear my stomach growling.

I have been on liquids and raw vegetables.

I've been eating a salad for lunch and dinner since Saturday ( I did cheat and add a small serving of FAT FREE dressing on it.)

But, today I'm going to eat some plain chicken. I need SOMETHING!

I've already lost 24 pounds :)

I am curious if anyony cheated on their pre-op diets? My diet is a shake for breakfast, low fat lunch (turkey sandwich) and a shake for dinner! I am supposed to not go over 1200 calories a day and not a single day thus far (today is day 5) have I even come close to that many calories. I am HUNGRY today and I am really craving some Pasta but I don't know if I should go for it or not. I'm not talking about to excess but a serving! I still have 10 days before surgery! I know people who didn't even have to do a special diet just did 24 hours of liquids before!

[/quotefO

For me I guess this is a hard time of year to be on a pre-op diet. I am supposed to be on a basically 10 day Diet. Which is basically a liquid diet. You can have a carb shake, suger free jelly, popsicles or no sugar added fudgisicles. Skim milk and one time a day you can have either a weight watchers or lean cuisine meal. I was doing good until I went to my parents for Christmas. I hopped on the scale and I weighed 157. I need to weight 160 for my surgery. ... So I thought yeah I have a whole 3lbs to work with...by the time I left I needed to lose a pound. So now 3 days before my surgery I am half afraid to eat...For me I found that the sugar free Jello adds some variety. I am kind of tired of eating the frozen meals.... I have to add, when I stuck to the diet like I was supposed to I had a terrible headace.

Good luck on your journey....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

I was supposed to be on the liquid diet for 7 days pre-op but elected to go 10 days as it Friday after after Thanksgiving and I thought it would be a good day to start. I cheated that day and had a piece of pumpkin pie :(

While sitting in my hotel the day before surgery I saw repeated commercials for a 2 bacon 5 cheese pizza from a popular chain, man oh man it was all I could do not to pick up the phone, but I persevered. :)

I did not cheat. My surgeon required one week of Unjury only, and that is what I did. I kind of wish I had cheated a little... now that I have been on the liquids since 13 December.

I think it is funny someone 'cheated' and ate roasted caulifower. heehee

I had to do 13 days of liquid pre op and agh it was hard. I had a pizza blow out party one day w coworker but other than that I either stuck to the diet or cheated only by eating Protein. A few days before I was extra good just in case, pretty sure that pizza was long gone. I just had to eat it one more time though. hahaha Don't do it!

I didn't even tell my husband about that day for like 6 months. haha By then it was funny, but he was mad I didn't invite him.