Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 60 and having the sleeve

Surely I am not the only person on this forum that is 60 or over having the sleeve surgery.

I would love to hear from anyone that has had the surgery and how you feel now.

My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 15th, Have had all the pre-op testing completed now just waiting for the big day to get here.

Hi Ginny,

I was sleeved at 61 years old in Mexico by Dr. Aceves. Love him and his staff, but I digress!

I was 3 months out on October 26th and I've lost 70 lbs and 33 inches. I feel absolutely wonderful and I'm off all my medications. I walk 2-3 miles a day and I don't think I've felt this well since, well, I can't remember!

Good luck to you and hope all goes well for you.

Take care!

Patti

Surely I am not the only person on this forum that is 60 or over having the sleeve surgery.

I would love to hear from anyone that has had the surgery and how you feel now.

My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 15th, Have had all the pre-op testing completed now just waiting for the big day to get here.

Hi, my name is Gloria and I am 61 and had my sleeve surgery 5 April 2010.....I have lost 56 lbs so far, I started at 214 and now I am 160, with a goal of 150...I had no problems with my surgery at all. I was a little sore but nothing excrutiating at all. If you have any more questions or if there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to contact me. Hope to hear from you soon....

Gloria

Ginny C

I am 63 and had a band(that had gone bad) to sleeve revision 3 weeks ago.

It was hard on me for the first few days. I stayed overnight at the hospital and my husband drove me 150 miles home. I had a migrane for the first few days at home. I was wishing I had never had it done. But after a few days I felt fine and was very happy I had it done! I have lost 23 lbs in the 3 wks since my surgery. The best thing that happened to me is I found this forum.

I am on a pureed diet til next week when i go on a soft diet for 2 weeks. I cant wait. I walk a mile on my treadmill every morning. I still get weak at times, but they are getting less and less.

good luck with your surgery!

Jeri

I am pretty close to 60 . I just turned 58 on the 25th of this month.

I've lost all my weight and at times, I feel like a teenager.

I'll be 57 1/2 when I get my surgery in January. Can't wait! Good luck ladies!

Wow thank you for posting. I want my mom to have this surgery but she feels she's too old. She will turn 58 on December 1st. She has diabetes and high blood pressure. And after having her gall bladder removed earlier this year, she now has stomach issues. I just want her to be healthier.

I read in some medical report in the last month that studies WLS on older patients (over 60). It challenged the belief that the older you are the more risks there are for complications... The study says that is not so. WLS in older patients have only minimally higher negative side effects... and all the positive side effects of younger patients. Hopefully Insurance companies and Drs. will take this into account when assessing older patients for surgery. The old standards are one reason I jumped into the process of applying for WLS before I was 60, didn't want to get caught in any old top age cut off!

here is that study:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/14887

I am 61 and am 2 years out from having the band.. I am now having complications with the band and am considering the sleeve. I am trying to find information from people that are at least out 2-3 years to see if there are any comon complications.. I am still deciding whether to throw in the towel and get the band out or get the sleeve.. Actually I am on the side of the sleeve so far.. Please respond .. thank you , shar

Labrys here...

Well I'm 63 and had surgery on my 63'd birthday, Sept. 29, 2010. I have not had complications but I do recognize that weight loss for me might be a bit slower. Also, there is the loss of elasticity in skin. I don't care about either of these. The benefits of weight loss, lower blood pressure, diabetes correction, and ease on joints is far more important. I have had knee replacement in both knees.

So far I've lost about 30 pounds and lovin' it.

I say, life is not over at 60. Go for it to feel better and be healthier.

I am 61 and am 2 years out from having the band.. I am now having complications with the band and am considering the sleeve. I am trying to find information from people that are at least out 2-3 years to see if there are any comon complications.. I am still deciding whether to throw in the towel and get the band out or get the sleeve.. Actually I am on the side of the sleeve so far.. Please respond .. thank you , shar

Hi there,

I am about to have a band to sleeve revision (lapbands are not what they told us it would be). Tiffykins posted a link that was very helpful to me when I was researching that had articles and posts from people two-five years out. I wish I knew what the title was for you to search it. I am sure if you messaged her, she will give you the info. I would do some more reseach before you give up. The way I see it, if they are already in there cutting the band out, they might as well give me a smaller stomach! Good luck and hang in there~

Hi, my name is Gloria and I am 61 and had my sleeve surgery 5 April 2010.....I have lost 56 lbs so far, I started at 214 and now I am 160, with a goal of 150...I had no problems with my surgery at all. I was a little sore but nothing excrutiating at all. If you have any more questions or if there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to contact me. Hope to hear from you soon....

Gloria

Hi:

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, 11/22 here in San Diego. I am in excellent health and my BMI is 34 and I currently weigh 190. I would like to get to around 130 or 140, hopefully not lower than that. I'm 62. Today is my 5th day of liquids for pre op. I'm getting testy and nervous. Help.

Hi:

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, 11/22 here in San Diego. I am in excellent health and my BMI is 34 and I currently weigh 190. I would like to get to around 130 or 140, hopefully not lower than that. I'm 62. Today is my 5th day of liquids for pre op. I'm getting testy and nervous. Help.

Don't you just love testy and nervous! Kinda lets us know were are still alive and kicking! Girl how did you do!!!! Are you doing your walking, sipping and walking???? Post us and let us know! Welcome to the losers bench! Your going to do great!

well, I had my psych eval yesterday and i should know if I will be approved for the sleeve or not.. I really can't fault the band because most of what I lost with the band, I have not regained,, unlike any other diet or tool.. And I do know many that were very successful with the band.. but not me.. too much heart burn and acid reflux and also actual spasms in the band area.. wish me luck .. I hope the insurance approves the sleeve.. I am alittle afraid of the possible complications, but, there are chances you take with any surgery.. I am 61 and realy looking forward to a successful solution to my problem.. I don't have that much to loose so if I can loose 20-30 more lbs, I would be very happy.. And NO.. I have tried to do it on my own and just can't.... if Icould have,. I wold have done it along time ago.