Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm STARVING!

Sign in to follow this  

I have the Gastric Plication Surgery scheduled (Dr W) I've researched every little piece of info I can find, but I still feel like I'm hungry for more information! There isn't all that much out there, and certainly not much on message boards. A little background on me,,, I'm 46 been banded for 7 years. Lost 70% of excess weight, (about 60ish pounds) quit smoking, gained it all back. The band just isn't working for me anymore , its either too tight and i can't eat anything healthy,,, or too lose and I gain weight. So, here I am trying again. I think I have a more clear vision this time, knowing that the tool can't do all the work, and even if it does for a while, it won't forever . I would love to get some info from those of you who have done this already. Like,, If you had a band, how is this different? With my band properly adjusted, I couldn't eat any raw veggies (including salads) or chicken, which I love. I found that I could only eat things that weren't healthy.. Can you eat anything, just in really small amounts? You don't get that "stuck" feeling, right? And what about vomiting? With the band, I absolutely can't ,,,, nothing will come up, just painful heaves. (made food poisoning really bad, ending in a trip to the ER) What do you eat in an average meal?? Do you stay full between meals? Are you losing weight pretty quickly like the trials are saying? Do you know of any blogs, or any info around other than here, or on Obesity help??? Any advice for me? Surgery is a little over a month away, going to start the pre surg diet soon. I know I'm asking lots here, but like I said, I'm STARVING! (for info!) :) Thanks

Karen,

I haven't had plication yet either but I am banded and I had a very similar experience. I did pretty good with the band the first 5-6 years but after 2 pregnancies and being filled and unfilled so many times I could never get to the *sweet* spot. I also couldn't eat salads, broccoli (my fav) and had great difficulty with chicken. When I lost most of my weight I was pretty much doing Protein Shakes since everything else got stuck. Of course, chips and Cookies went right down :(

My band needs to come out due to dilation and my drs here in CA want to do a sleeve. I'm not as comfortable with the sleeve as I am with plication but if I do plication, then it's self-pay.

I agree about having difficulty trying to find information. I found some great info on Dr Corvala's website and Dr Ariel Ortiz's website. They both have videos and some plication studies.

Hope I can get some more info along with you!

genepha

Hi, this forum has GREAT Plication info.. Just read all the topics under the " TOTAL GASTRIC VERTICAL PLICATION SLEEVE SURGERY " .. By the way, Dr. Watkins and his team ROCKS. I have never felt more cared for and all the staff take a personal interest in you. DR W and his staff LISTEN patiently and THROUGHLY answer questions. They have never rushed me along or cut me off. I have never felt like I was just another patient or they are only in it for the money. THEY REALLY CARE. My husband was really impressed. They are in it for the long haul with you and I feell like we are all friends.

Ok, although I was NOT able to have my GPS surgery w/Dr. W a couple weeks ago (he found polyps) I am REALLY HOPING TO. From my research this surgery IS NOTHING LIKE THE BAND. I've determined I SURELY DO NOT WANT THE BAND for EXACTLY the reasons you mentioned: food getting stuck, being limited to what will fit through the small hole, slming. Oh, and I guess you are not supposed to drink while eating.

From research I've done, GPS patients can each ANYTHING in small portions (usually 1/2 to 1 cup) they want, once on solids. That mean YES to VEGGIES/CHICKEN ANYTHING. Occaisonally it seems someone might have a hard time with something in the beginning, but for me, I am not willing to give up veggies, bread, Pasta for the band - I do NOT want to get stuck.

They all seem to stay full and not get very hungry. So you have a small stomach, each smaller portions, because the stomach can fill up and be tight with food, ghreline (hunger hormone) is diminished and seems to help curb appetite - it seems to be the same effect that VSG patience have. If you overeat, you could have extreme pain and/or vomit. Early on, some patients may possibly slime, but usually from what I've read that is only early on and usually happens when stiched too tight or maybe overeating early on- IT IS VERY RARE with this surgery.

Sliming was something FOR SURE I didn't want to have for the rest of my life, so the band was out for me. That is what appealed to me about this Plication surgery..

From what I know, you CAN drink while eating with GPS, but it may cause you to get hungry quicker because the food gets flushed through.

I really hope my tests come out fine and I can have GPS surgery! I think YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT! I have been PM'd many different people and other than missing big portions OCCASIONALLY at one sitting, they HAVE NO REGRETS. It's always appealed to me because you can eat anything, just in smalller portions and have a reduced appetite, stay full longer - and keep the rest of your stomach. Most people try to focus on protien first for health and weight loss and than have other things in small amounts.

Amy,

Thanks for all the info. I'd like to use Dr Watkins but I'm in CA and TJ is much more convenient. I was hoping to find a dr. here in Cali that has started doing Plication. I'm still researching and hoping to have my band removed and plication done by December.

Dr. Cottam is in Salt Lake, he is doing the Plication. I think he and Dr. Watkins have consulted with each other. I used Dr. Corvala in Tijuana, great hospital, good care.....but check Dr. Cottam...he has videos of his surgery on youtube....I think a way further down on this forum there is a posting about Dr. Cottam in Utah.

I have the Gastric Plication Surgery scheduled (Dr W) I've researched every little piece of info I can find, but I still feel like I'm hungry for more information! There isn't all that much out there, and certainly not much on message boards. A little background on me,,, I'm 46 been banded for 7 years. Lost 70% of excess weight, (about 60ish pounds) quit smoking, gained it all back. The band just isn't working for me anymore , its either too tight and i can't eat anything healthy,,, or too lose and I gain weight. So, here I am trying again. I think I have a more clear vision this time, knowing that the tool can't do all the work, and even if it does for a while, it won't forever . I would love to get some info from those of you who have done this already. Like,, If you had a band, how is this different? With my band properly adjusted, I couldn't eat any raw veggies (including salads) or chicken, which I love. I found that I could only eat things that weren't healthy.. Can you eat anything, just in really small amounts? You don't get that "stuck" feeling, right? And what about vomiting? With the band, I absolutely can't ,,,, nothing will come up, just painful heaves. (made food poisoning really bad, ending in a trip to the ER) What do you eat in an average meal?? Do you stay full between meals? Are you losing weight pretty quickly like the trials are saying? Do you know of any blogs, or any info around other than here, or on Obesity help??? Any advice for me? Surgery is a little over a month away, going to start the pre surg diet soon. I know I'm asking lots here, but like I said, I'm STARVING! (for info!) :) Thanks

Hi Karen,

I had the plication in July. As far as the eating part. I can eat anything I want. Nothing affects me in a bad way. I eat about 4-5 ounces at once depending on what it is. Last night I had a burger with bacon and cheese on it. Probably 4 ounces. I do eat almost all Protein and if I feel like I have to have something else I do just a little bit of it. Yesterday my daughter's boyfriend made her a homemade carrot cake. It looked so good I had to have a bite. I did and it was delicious. I have lost 43 lbs in 3 1/2 months. I've had no issues at all. Hope this helps a little.

Hello Karen

I had my plication done Oct 12 in Tia Juana with Dr. Corvala. I have had absolutely no issues as of yet, except maybe I feel a little more tired than I want to. I have lost 17 lbs as of this morning and am a little over 3 weeks out. I didn't have any isssues with throwing up, sliming or anything else, yes, you do burp alot and the first time you overeat sucks, there is a pressure on your chest and then the burping starts, but you have to learn what works for you. I am very happy I did it, I have 52 more lbs to lose. It is hard in the beginning but does get better. Hve faith and stay strong, it's not going to be easy but you can do it! Best of luck to you. Jen

Hi Karen,

I had the plication in July. As far as the eating part. I can eat anything I want. Nothing affects me in a bad way. I eat about 4-5 ounces at once depending on what it is. Last night I had a burger with bacon and cheese on it. Probably 4 ounces. I do eat almost all Protein and if I feel like I have to have something else I do just a little bit of it. Yesterday my daughter's boyfriend made her a homemade carrot cake. It looked so good I had to have a bite. I did and it was delicious. I have lost 43 lbs in 3 1/2 months. I've had no issues at all. Hope this helps a little.

Hi Julie,

Where did u have your surgery?

43 lbs is fantastic!!!

congrats on your weight loss.

Hello there! My best advice if you are going with GPS is to follow all the rules - seriously, no soda, high Protein, very little junk and exercise! I just started light exercising and you won't believe the difference - my appetite is even less and hardly any junk food cravings just from adding exercise. I, like many of us, scour the Internet for GPS info - and frankly it seems that the traditional sleevers are losing weight a bit more quickly, but I couldn't be happier that my stomach is intact and there is less chances of complications. Good luck!

Hello there! My best advice if you are going with GPS is to follow all the rules - seriously, no soda, high Protein, very little junk and exercise! I just started light exercising and you won't believe the difference - my appetite is even less and hardly any junk food cravings just from adding exercise. I, like many of us, scour the Internet for GPS info - and frankly it seems that the traditional sleevers are losing weight a bit more quickly, but I couldn't be happier that my stomach is intact and there is less chances of complications. Good luck!

I agree. When I was losing the majority of my weight with the band I was following the bandster rules pretty closely.

I cut out soda completely 3 weeks before my band surgery in 2001 and haven't had it since. I lost 110 lbs. with the

band mainly because I was able to feel full with a lot less food and because I exercised consistently.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to eat a lot of fruits and veggies with the band. I'm not so worried about losing weight quickly,

I'm more concerned with losing weight and keeping it off, something I haven't been able to do with the band.

Hi Genepha!

I have not had any problems with fruits or veggies yet so that will be a plus for you coming from the band. The only problem I had was trying a little salmon on day 4 - I ate too fast and too much and well, I didn't do that again. Chew very slowly at first. I still chew a bit slow, but not like the first few weeks.

To be honest, sometimes I will sneak one drink of my boyfriend's pepsi - but not more than that. Same thing with a bite of cake or a cookie - the great thing is with this surgery, I am able to stop at a drink or a bite or two! I could never stop before. Take care and best of wishes to you 

We have done GPS (Gastric Plication Surgery) on several patients who were previously banded. One important difference is that GPS fullness feels like normal stomach/abdominal fullness. Fullness with the band tends to be a very high sensation, like chest discomfort. Spatially, the band is like a golf ball with a small hole in the bottom of it; the GPS is like a banana or narrow tube. I am seeing fewer food intolerances with GPS - there's just more space, but you get full on small amounts of food (powerful weight loss tool). I think GPS is an ideal solution for band patients who have recurrent dilations - it's nice to offer something better than just another band revision. With the band, patients can vomit/regurgitate so much that the pouch gets dilated and this can cause swelling of stomach in the band to the point that it is too tight and must be deflated (typically in the middle of the night for some reason). The GPS doesn't do that which is nice. My opinion is that in some percentage of patients, GPS, like all other weight loss operations, may dilate over time to the point that it isn't as powerful of a weight loss tool as it once was. This is true of all weight loss operations. The good news is that this dilation won't cause an emergency and it would be much simpler to revise than all other operations - simply place additional sutures (plications). GPS patients do describe very significant pain with overeating, especially in the first few weeks after surgery - this is abdominal pain, not chest pain. You would be able to vomit with the GPS - it's just your stomach, only smaller. When we first started, I allowed GPS patients to drink with meals, but we are finding that even with the GPS, it is best to drink liquids between meals or just before a meal, but once you start eating solid food, wait for one hour. This will keep you full longer and full quicker and the weight loss is better. Our weight loss results are just like any other weight loss procedure. We have superstar patients who eat healthy food and burn calories and check in with us weekly and lose weight very successfully. The GPS is just like all other weight loss operations in the sense that it doesn't stop ice cream, chocolate, mushy junk food, etc. These foods are very high in bad calories and fight the weight loss with a vengeance. I think GPS is going to be a big deal as more people learn about it. We are getting more and more calls from around the U.S. and even foreign countries from people interested in plication. I'm also getting more calls from surgeons wanting to learn how to do it. It is a wonderfully simple operation (but still must be done properaly) and one of the lowest risk operations available for weight loss. It is also the least expensive because there is no band or staples or any other medical device. This also allows the incisions (scars) to be tiny (all 5mm incisions).

Brad Watkins MD