Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgical follow up care

I had surgery on October 11th in Plano. The surgery went well. I spent 2 nights in the hospital and was released on the 3rd day with instructions to schedule an appt. in 1 week. I never saw my doctor after the surgery, just his PA. The nurse pulled my drain tube after discussion with the PA because the RN had never sent a patient home w/out a drain. I did fine, but was not reassured. I went in for my check up after 10 days; again no doctor, just the PA. They weighed me and then sat a talked for a while. They never looked at my incisions, took a blood pressure, listened to my heart or gut or anything. Just said to stay on liquids for another week and not to do any abdominal workouts for a couple of weeks! Is this normal? My doctor comes highly recommended even by my personal physician, although after my experience I don't know that she will recommend him to anyone else! I don't want to be a drama queen or whiney baby, but this seems a little strange to me. Confused in Texas!!

I don't know if I have an extremely caring and wonderful surgeon or if I'm the norm, but my doc is absolutely wonderful. I saw him in the hospital each day and have been back for post-op appts now every week. I see HIM, and he sits and talks with me about anything I need and does all the exams of my incisions, drain removal, etc. He even called me at home once. I can't say enough about him!!

Now my lapband doc.. that's another story. Nice man, but young and inexperienced, and I didn't feel real cared about by him.

Good luck! I'm sorry you're not feeling so positive about him.

I'm probably one of the most demanding patients you'll ever meet. For my next appointment, I would demand to see the surgeon. You paid him a fee (even covered by insurance) you paid him, he needs to see you and address your concerns. He cut on you, he needs to do your follow-up.

You really have to be your own advocate in my opinion, and if you have concerns, or questions then tell them that you do not want to see a nurse or a PA, you want to see your surgeon.

Im not sure who your surgeon was but I went with Dr Nicholson at Baylor Plano. He and his staff were awesome. They always returned calls and every appt I see my surgeon and the PA. I would make sure next time to tell them to just stop and listen as you have questions and concerns... Hope it gets better. There is a support group every 2nd Wed at Baylor Plano on the 1st floor and its very informative. There are discussions on food, excercise, depression and so on. There is even a clothing exchange where you can bring things you have outgrown to donate to someone who may neeed to move a size down. The meetings start at 6:30.

Im not sure who your surgeon was but I went with Dr Nicholson at Baylor Plano. He and his staff were awesome. They always returned calls and every appt I see my surgeon and the PA. I would make sure next time to tell them to just stop and listen as you have questions and concerns... Hope it gets better. There is a support group every 2nd Wed at Baylor Plano on the 1st floor and its very informative. There are discussions on food, excercise, depression and so on. There is even a clothing exchange where you can bring things you have outgrown to donate to someone who may neeed to move a size down. The meetings start at 6:30.

Lana, Thanks so much. I did use Dr. Nick and have been happy. Maybe he is on vacation or something. I don't seem to be having any problems and am doing what he said during pre-op consultations. I would love to attend the support group, but I live 70 miles away and it coincides w/ church activities. Thank you for your encouragement. I really needed to hear from a Dr. Nick patient. Thank you again.

Be sure to ask when you schedule your next followup if the doc will be in that day. If he won't, pick another date when he will be in the office. My first postop visit was on a day when the doc was out of the office, but no one told me that when I scheduled. Maybe he had an emergency or something but that was a time when I really needed to see him, so I wasn't happy about it. Now that I'm farther out, it's not such a big deal. I always call when a question comes up, so I don't necessarily have anything specific to address on my appointment dates. I actually spend more time talking to the nurse than I do to him because she's easier to talk to. He did a great job on my stomach, so I'm pleased with that.

Anyone know Dr. Nick's standard bougie size?

The same thing has happen to me.I had my sleeve July 14 and I have not seen my doctor since.I had a leak at 2 weeks in the hospital for 6 days and still no sign of my doctor just the PA who is a very nice person but she didn't do my surgery.I would never tell anyone to go to my doctor again.I am happy with my sleeve but not pleased at all with my after care.