Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

Just thought I would have a little vent...

I am recovering over an episode of pneumonia... I feel much better than I did a week ago and most of the symptoms have gone; just really tired now! My Dr told me no exercise for at least 4 weeks, so I have no way of getting rid of any frustrations...

Anyway, due to the pneumonia - literally scaring the crap out of me - I have given up the ciggies... I was going to do this in the new year, but after being sooooo poorly I am doing it now!

So, what is my point... My head is in the shed... my eating habits, due to being off work, have gone a littel squiff... ie I am eating more carbs than before and eating at irregular times and some days more than three times a day!

Then in the evening, and evening only, I have massive cravings for a smoke... now I haven't given in to this, and I haven't eaten something to replace the ciggies... YET!!

I just feel all over the place if that makes sense... I am worried that my weight loss will slow down again and I really don't want it to as I was doing soooo well!! *sighs* I suppose boredom is also a problem, but I am trying to fill my time, but I have to be honest, it is difficult when I am either thinking about food or about having a ciggie... neither of which I can do now, like I used to.... :blink:

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the rant!! I am sure I will be better soon enough...lol

Good luck with that! Changing behavior is never easy. Both things will be really good for you though, so good luck!

Have you looked into Champx? I know several long time heavy smokers that quit with it and they never went through the cravings. Just a thought to help with the craving for a ciggie.

Congrats on quitting smoking btw!

Lily

Awww hugs coops! Sorry to hear you'd gotten so ill! My Mom had pneumonia a few months ago and it nearly scared the pants right off me. I thought the worst, but she's perfectly fine now.

Just get some rest and fight those demons girl! I know you're really going through it but just know you have friends here who are gonna support you!

Oh, sweetie, I really feel for ya! I quit cold turkey and gained 50 pounds. I had to find something to do with my hands, especially after meals, when I missed that cancer stick the most. I had beads and strings that I fiddled with. I found a toy online called a tangle for little kids and for Alzheimer's patients that I got for my mom because she was fidgety. She didn't use it but I find it very comforting. If I can find the link to where i got it (have changed computers so my bookmarks are scattered hither and yon) I will PM you. If you are interested, that is!

Linda

Thanks all... I really appreciate your kind words!!

Hey, fatjuicymouse... yea I am going cold turkey, and you are soooo right... it is all to do with the hands... I really don't know what to do with them!!

OMG 50lb, I can't put that on - I haven't even lost that much yet...lol - so I am determined not to exchange food for ciggies. When my hubby gave up he went onto 20 choc digestives a day...lol!!! I know it will get easier, just gotta rid it out I suppose but anything you think will help, please do, let me know.... :rolleyes:

Found the manufacturers site but I am sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else. This little toy got me through a lot and now I have lost the darned thing. Spendy, but worth it to me.

https://www.tanglecreations.com/categories.php?ID=2

Thanks Linda... will defo have a lil look around for something similar... are you still off the ole ciggies????

Since I have COPD from smoking I can relate to the pneumonia issues. Having pneumonia is no fun. I too quit cold turkey 6 yrs ago when I was hospitalized for pneumonia. I was so scared that I wasn't even tempted to sneak a smoke. I did gain lots of weight. Then I lost it and then I gained it back. Howvever now you have your sleeve. I think if you stick to your program you'll be okay. If you are tempted to smoke remember how much fun your pneumonia was. Smoking will just lead to more of the same. Luckily since I've had my surgery I haven't had a flare up with my COPD. I was recovering from a round of pneumonia when I was trying to get approved. My pulmonologist refused to okay me until it was completely healed up. I finally did get well, he okay'd me and I feel better than I have in years. Hang in there, you'll be so glad that you did. We are here for you!...Carole

Carole... thank you soooo much... You really do know where I am coming from on this one... I too was admitted into hospital with pneumonia last week... and it was awful... I was soooo scared!!! Also there is a shadow on one of my chest xrays...I doubt that it is anything to really worry about, but it adds to the whole, awful exerpience - I have to go back for a CT scan!

I am kinda relieved that I have the sleeve now, because I know, for sure, that I would use food to replace the ciggies!!! I am hoping that I will get back on track once I feel better and I am back in work?????

May I ask... what is COPD?? x

Coops, this struck me as such a coincidence. I quit smoking last October due to having Pneumonia!! Cold turkey is the only way to do it, the sooner that nicotine is out of your system the sooner your cravings will go away. I found the trick to quitting is being prepared. Knowing that life is going to throw all kinds of stressors your way (work, kids, school, death and a million other things), but just knowing that when these situations pop up that your going to crave a cigarette puts you one step ahead of the game. Having the mindset that, yes I am going to crave no I am not going to give in really helps.

Other then that, sugar free gum, computer games (for those restless fingers), candle lit baths. Do things that make you happy, you'll be enjoying the moment and not missing the cigarette.

Oh, very important THROW ALL YOUR SMOKING PARAPHERNALIA AWAY!!!! Cigs, lighters, ashtrays, EVERYTHING!!! No reminders! Besides you are now an ex smoker and you won't need them.

At a year out I can honestly say I only think about a cigarette maybe once a month now, and it is such a passing thought I barely notice.

If you need any help or support please feel free to message me any time!! :D

Hey tankgirl ...

Thank you ... giving up the smokes and the food is really doing my head in... but yey... I AM AN EX SMOKER!!! I love that and didn't even think of it that way.

When I came out of hospital, I told the kids that Mam ain't gonna smoke anymore... my daughter was soooo happy she cried!! We made a big deal about getting rid of all the ashtrays, lighters and such like ... they threw them all in the bin for me and they loved doing it!! My hubby says that he is proud of me for giving up too. I gave all my ciggies to my mate and needless to say she was chuffed with that!!

You are right about the stressers... I tried once before to pack up, many years ago... within the week my Grampy died... back on the ciggies and a huge bar of choc too... say no more!! This time, I will remember what you said and try to be prepared for it...

I know I will do this, and I am thankful of having somewhere to vent, especially as I can't eat my way through it!!!

Hiya Coops

Sorry you're struggling post pneumonia.

I've never smoked but I often joke with the patients where I work who have put weight on after stopping smoking that maybe I should start so I can loose some weight ! LOL

COPD is a nasty lung disease prevellent in smokers particularly. It stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

Hats off to you trying to quit cold turkey. I actually remember my dad doing that years ago after he had a heart attack in his 60s. He was doing really well and went to the doctor with a chest infection one day. The doctor was appalled that he had stopped cold turkey and actually convinced him to start smoking about 5 a day and gradually cut down before stopping. Can you imagine that happening today, the doc would probably get struck off !!! LOL

If you do struggle at all, go to your GP and book in for smoking cessation. There are lots of different things they can give to help you, Patches, inhalators, Champix, gum etc. I understand you lucky people in Wales don't pay for prescriptions so its a freebie too ! Loads of our patients have quit using Champix and kept off the ciggies. We even had one man who used it who was on 70 a day ( must be very rich now ! ) who is still not smoking nearly 2 years later.

Stay focussed in your Quest by thinking of chasing Mr Williams, you could be his one to one smoking cessation counsellor. Of course you would probably have to move in with him to do the job right, maybe you wouldn't want to do that ? Yeah..... course you wouldn't LOL

Keep up the good work

Angela

Coops, I quit smoking three years ago.....before my surgery. I took Zyban to help me with the anxiety of not being able to have a cigarette. It wasn't the cravings that got to me, it was the anxiety about not smoking that did. My husband took Chantix and he has been smoke free for almost two years. If it gets too tough, I recommend trying to find something that can help you along the way. Good luck, and let me say that your lungs will thank you eventually!!

May I ask... what is COPD??

COPD is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It means I have emphysema and chronic bronchitis and often can lead to pneumonia. I try to take care of myself by using my inhalers and staying away from people who are sick. Before my sleeve I had a hiatal hernia which caused acid reflux. Probably I aspirated some into my lungs which kept me sick. Since my sleeve I have not been sick! Hooray!