Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Neal in Olympia, WA

Hi there,

Had an appointment with Dr. Neal in Olympia last week and am hoping to be banded this summer. I originally intended to use NWWLS in Mill Creek but they weren't willing to fight for insurance for me (I'm a 35 BMI). Dr. Neal was happy to help out and we'll see what happens. I'm worried though that if we can't get coverage I won't be able to use him as a self-pay patient since his self-pay cost is about $17k and moe than I can spend.

Just wondering if anyone has worked with Dr. Neal and if they'd like to share their experience either here or via direct email. I can't find much about him on the boards...

Thanks!

Britt

Hello,

I was banded in MX and during my hospital stay there was a man there with his wife who had been banded by Dr. Neal. He had nothing but praise about him. He was there with his wife who was being banded in MX (her insurance wouldn't pay for the surgery) and Dr. Neal was going to do her follow up. If I had not found a fill Dr. here in Montana I was prepared to go to him for fills. He is on my Dr's list for follow up care in the US. Good luck.

Sharon

I go to Dr. Neals office for my aftercare/fills. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him, but have never met him personally. He is the only doc with fluoroscopy in the area. There are cheaper fills, closer fills, and cheaper, closer fills. I still go to Olympia and love meeting other bandsters in the waiting room. He also has support groups that meet monthly and other activities from what I have heard.

I wish I could help with the surgical aspect, but never researched his surgical record.

Hi, I was banded in Mexico, but am very impressed with him and his office. He has spoken at the Seattle Bash for 2 years now. As the coordinator I hear a variety of patients experiences with many different doctors. He seems to go out of the way to help patients and they may not neccesarily have had them for a surgeon. It's been my experiences that that is one attribute of a good surgeon. If your insurance fails, write to me offline and I can help steer you to some good choices in Mexico. Hope the insurance works out for you. Joanne in Seattle.

I had surgery by Dr. Neal on 4/7/06 and have 2 fills in his office.

I have nothing but praise about Dr. Neal and his staff! I had an uneventful sugery (no problems). I'm down 28.5 lbs since surgery and very happy with my band.

I'm a 66 year young grammy and I did have to self-pay.

Feel free to e-mail me off-line for any further info.

Betty from Lake Oswego, OR

Hi Betty

My surgery is on June 22nd with Dr Neal. Tell me please how you felt after you came out of surgery and how you manage to get enough liqiuds in you. Did you get dehydrated. I drink so much Water now that I can't imagine only drinking 2 tablespoons at the time.. Are you doing well now and feeling fine??!

Hope to hear from you,

Josie

Hi Josie,

I'm almost 14 months out from surgery and have only great things to say about Dr. Neal and his staff!

I'm down 65 lbs, have become the exercise Grammy Queen - feel great, look pretty good - still would like to get down another 20 +/- lbs, but if I stay at this weight (and I have no doubt I will never get up there again) I'll be happy! I am so happy that I had the band surgery - wish I would have found it sooner!

Water is your friend with the band - they want us to drink tons of it - just not with meals! I think maybe you heard something like right after surgery you get to sip little sips - that only lasts for a couple of hours!

If you want to ask me any specific questions - please feel free to PM me (send me a personal message).

Betty

I am using Dr. Neal. At first his office wasn't really returning calls or helping me, but then they recently got a new office girl Mary Jo, she is fantastic. Constantly calling me, the insurance company, helping come up with ways to simplify things and get the insurance to approve quicker and easier for me. It's like she personally wants me to get this even though we've never met. At first I did feel just like another patient, but since mary Jo got involved, it's been wonderful.

Also, I just went to his office for my first visit, Dr.Neal checked me in, did my vitals, my paperwork, and put me on the calendar. He was so upbeat and ready to do this thing, for me! Now- my brother had Dr. Neal a few years ago and his surgery had a complication and he had to go back in the next day and have lap band switched out- but he still only had good things to say about Dr. Neal and how it seemed Dr. Neal truly felt bad about the situation. My bro has gone on to lose 100 pounds, so good job!

I also notice Dr. Neal gives his patients his phone number pesonally to call anytime. He said in his seminar to call him and he can meet you in his office day or night if there's a problem such as stuck food.

I am so glad I got referred to him- and so excited for my lap band at the end of this month.

Hope that helps!

Tabby