Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I meet with my surgeon yesterday. And I decided that I was choosing the sleeve over the band. I figured I had too much weight to lose and medical issues which the sleeve resolved with a higher percentage than the band. I met with the office insurance lady and was told a needed a more recent TSH, which I took this morning. They say the results could take 2-3 days. At which point she will submit my paperwork to Aetna.

So I have a few questions that maybe some of you have some insight

1. How long did it take those of you to get insurance approval?

2. From the point you got your approval how long did it take you to have for procedure?

3. What kind of presurgery things did you have to do?

4. Is there some rough estimate on how much someone can expect to lose with the sleeve? I know its not an exact thing, but would love a gut feel, no pun intended, maybe some pun intended ;-)

Thank you all for your time and responses.

Jay

Congrats on getting past the first step making your first decission!

1. How long did it take those of you to get insurance approval?

My insurance Cigna had me jusp through a five week hoop jumping conpetition but after that was all done and the papper work got to the right people it took about a week to get the call for the aproval.

2. From the point you got your approval how long did it take you to have for procedure?

I could have scheduled for the next week but since my mother is flying out from across the country I scheduled it for a month out.

3. What kind of presurgery things did you have to do?

For thr Dr. I had to do a upper GI (simple and painless, kinda cool to see) and some blood work, plus a h.Pilori test. For the Insurance I have to do two tobaco tests, phych test 5 EAP sessions and proof that I had not gain 20% of my weigh in the last year.

4. Is there some rough estimate on how much someone can expect to lose with the sleeve? I know its not an exact thing, but would love a gut feel, no pun intended, maybe some pun intended ;-)

I have not had the surgey yet but I have heard and seen from members on here that you can loose all if not more then your excess weight!

Good luck with everything, if you have any more question please feel free to ask, and please keep us updated on your journey

I am doing the aetna thing also. Just finished my 3 month multi discipline. I was told it could take up to 30 days, but usually you hear back in 7-10 days. My surgeon said that I could schedule surgery within a few weeks, but I am waiting to after the first of the year for financial reasons. I want to put all the co pays in my fsa so that I don't have to worry about the deductible and the 20% out of pocket. Good luck!!

Hey Jay congrats on making the decision to have the sleeve. I can't comment on the insurance stuff because we have a completely different type of insurance protocol than most.

As for how much weight you will lose, it's really difficult to state. I can tell you that I lost around 140lbs in 10.5 months with the sleeve. I lost 115lbs within the first 6.5 months with the VSG, and adhering to my post-op dietary guidelines to the "letter".

Everyone loses at a different rate, and you are able to adjust your eating to accommodate your specific needs. I personally wanted to lose weight quickly, get to goal, and then worry about maintenance. Others choose to not do it the same way and that's what has worked for them.