Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

winter clothes?

Hi All, I need some help figuring out what kind of clothing I will need when I go to Alaska at the end of November. I have lived my whole life in Southern Ca and am totally clueless as to what I might need when the temps hit the negatives at night.

Nancy

Hi All, I need some help figuring out what kind of clothing I will need when I go to Alaska at the end of November. I have lived my whole life in Southern Ca and am totally clueless as to what I might need when the temps hit the negatives at night.

Nancy

Nancy... while I don't currently live there, I moved away 6 years ago, I did live in Alaska for 18 years. In Nov. there will likely be snow on the ground and you should prepare for weather below 32 degrees daily. I recommend layers... a long sleeved shirt with a sweater over top, and a warm winter coat. Make sure you have warm boots (not fashion boots) if you are planning on spending any time outside. Heels don't work for winter weather. For pants I would recommend layering again... a pair of tights or long underwear under your slacks or jeans works well. Remember a hat and gloves or mittens. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

L

Nancy... while I don't currently live there, I moved away 6 years ago, I did live in Alaska for 18 years. In Nov. there will likely be snow on the ground and you should prepare for weather below 32 degrees daily. I recommend layers... a long sleeved shirt with a sweater over top, and a warm winter coat. Make sure you have warm boots (not fashion boots) if you are planning on spending any time outside. Heels don't work for winter weather. For pants I would recommend layering again... a pair of tights or long underwear under your slacks or jeans works well. Remember a hat and gloves or mittens. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

L

Gulp! We will be there a week to help take care of DH's youngest after surgery on his shoulder. I hate to fly and just realized just how long the flights are but Jesse is worth it. I imagine it is dark all the time then? I know Fairbanks is small someone said 35,000 is there anything to do outside then? Also food I will be three months out now I know Fairbanks is not another country but I have lived my whole life in Los Angeles and in my mind I imagine that 90% of all businesses there close down for the winter?

Thanks

Nancy

I would be packing my flannel jammies! :o

Because my husband is military, I have fallen in love with Air Force issued cold weather gear. I wear his thermals (they are thinner than regular thermals to accommodate their uniforms), and I swear those little boogers keep you super toasty. That being said, if you have an army/military surplus store near you, I would go and check out the cold weather gear. Most of the time they buy outdated, and unregulated gear and then sell it at a reasonable price. He gets more gear issued to him than he could ever use, and every year things become outdated and unregulated so we're stuck with a bunch of leftover crap. I told him to start getting smaller sizes so I could wear the stuff because we can't turn it back into the AF. We live in Florida for goodness sakes, and he gets gear that is issued for those stationed in Greenland, and Minot, ND.

I agree with layers, layers, and more layers. The military issues the best thermal/wool socks as well. The stuff isn't fashion-forward, but it'll keep you warm.

Thanks Tiff that is an excellent idea especially since after the trip I really won't need it here.

Nancy

Gulp! We will be there a week to help take care of DH's youngest after surgery on his shoulder. I hate to fly and just realized just how long the flights are but Jesse is worth it. I imagine it is dark all the time then? I know Fairbanks is small someone said 35,000 is there anything to do outside then? Also food I will be three months out now I know Fairbanks is not another country but I have lived my whole life in Los Angeles and in my mind I imagine that 90% of all businesses there close down for the winter?

Thanks

Nancy

Fairbanks is a city (a small one) with all the regular stuff. There are Wal-Marts and restaurant chains that you are used to. It will be chilly so be prepared for that but you won't have any trouble finding things to do and food to eat. They are used to the cold weather there so nothing will be closed down and infact Novemeber isn't even close to the coldest time of year there. Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.

L

Oh dear it has gotten worse! Jesse decided he rather wait until after the holidays which means I will be there in January their coldest month! Oh well hopefully by January I will be a thinner popsicle!

Nancy

I have no idea what Alaska's like but I live in a cold climate, too, and here are my tips for survival outdoors:

- Layers

- A 3/4 long coat (down to your knees) as an outer layer. You get frostbite on the front of your thighs quickly if there's a wind (and from the knee down, at least I am never cold.

- No cotton next to your skin. Wool, or fleece, or thermal underwear. Cotton cools you down faster than anything will.

I'm cold now I'm this thin and usually wear a fleece shirt, then a woollen sweater or two.

Oh I had no idea about cotton. I can not wear wool but I saw some thick fleece under garments. It looks like I'll be flying up Jan 20 I am scared silly and not too thrilled with flying up there in the dead of winter not to mention no non stop flights!

HAVE FUN! I've always wanted to go to Alaska :)...take pics!!!

LOL! So have I but I always imagined visiting Alaska during the summer months maybe while on a cruise but not in the dead of winter! This will definitely be an adventure.

Nancy