Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had my VSG surgery yet but I am working on it. I am a diet cokeaholic and was wondering if it's okay if I can drink it here and there after surgery.

I know before surgery you have to taper off caffeine. I can do that. I just don't think I can live without diet coke forever. Obviously I will drink WAY more Water than diet coke. Diet coke for me is just a treat every now and then.

:001_smile:

Here's my standard reply to this question: Plus you can read others opinion on carbonation.

Carbonation

Quote:

It doesn't even apply to the band. There are tons of band and RNY patients that drink soda, carbonated drinks without issue.

I drink soda, rum/cokes when out with the girls, and have zero issues. It hasn't stretched my sleeve, and I've been drinking soda since I hit goal nearly 7 months ago. My stomach holds the same amount of food, and I was scoped at 8 months out, my sleeve is tight, slim, and perfect. Soda is a liquid just like Water, tea, coffee, it goes in, hits the pyloric valve and empties into the intestines. If all other liquids do this, why would soda sit in there and hang out? That's my surgeon's and many other surgeon's opinion. This subject is just about as controversial as the WLS patients should never eat rice or Pasta for the rest of their lives.

Sodas are empty calories, it does leach the Calcium out of our bones, it's a lot of sodium if you drink too many, and it's not recommended for the weight loss phase. Moderation is key, I have a couple sodas a week. If I'm out at the bar, tying one on, I have umm several, and I think the rum is probably more detrimental than the stinkin' Coca Cola.

Here's another thread on carbonated drinks:

Soda's...what is the deal?

ozzy, hi and good question! i am 9 months out (Tiffy I'm catching up to you girl!!!) and i have the occasional diet soda. . it's a very very strange feeling though, like it's a big airbubble in there. . . sorta uncomfortable. . i have to de-fizz my soda, pour it into a glass, stir like mad til it goes flat and then drink it. . . yummm. . . if i leave it fizzy, it takes me a VERY long time to drink. . . you'll see, you'll find your own comfort level with soda. . . good luck!

I drink it too, in the early days I had to defizz by blowing into it via a straw. I avoided for the 1st 2 months though as I did not want to put any pressure on my staple line until I was sure it had healed completely.

Jane x

My surgeon said it was ok to drink carbonated drinks after 6 months. I'm hoping I can just break the habit all together. We'll see :).

Edited by sleeve 4 me
add

Okay, I am the other side of the coin, but for different reasons! Even when I have been at goal for a long time and won't be so worried about restiction I know that diet coke (which is truly a nectar of the God's) is something that became too habitual for me, and was a trigger for me to eat crappy food too. I associate diet coke with enchiladas, burgers, cheesecake....(yes there is a pattern here.) I know it is something I need to avoid and post op it has been the most difficult thing for me.

It is your call and not all surgeons agree on this one, but this forum already has three of my favorite success stories that I have watched for months, so do what works for you!

Best of luck my dear.

Anna

Ozzy

Check with your doctor and nutritionist. On my program, all types of carbonated beverages are not allowed because of the effect of the carbonation on your stomach--meaning expansion and gas! Also, my plan allows only non-caffinated beverages until 6-8 weeks post surgery. I was a coffee addict and went cold turkey 2 weeks before my surgery-a tactic I cannot recommend!! I was miserable from the caffeine withdrawal. Consider backing off your diet cokes at a reasonable pace.

Fit

Edited by FitatFifty

I drank diet coke up to the day of surgery. I asked my doctor before I left the hospital about drinking diet coke and he said it was fine but I may not like it anymore. guess what, I was a diet cokeaholic also and I don't like it anymore. It makes me nauseaus.

You can drink it after your incision is healed -- make sure you get clearance from your doctor -- but you may find that you don't want to.

I know that may be incomprehensible -- I was a HUGE coke-head (heheh), drinking 8-12 cans of Diet Coke per day -- but it's true. You'll find that the acidity no longer treats you well (you'll be working hard enough to keep your own natural stomach acid in check without pouring battery acid down your gullet on a regular basis). Also, the carbonation means that you simply can't drink it fast; I tried one a few weeks back and I had to literally take one tiny (and I mean TINY) sip, then burp, burp, burp, wait, wait, wait, and then another tiny sip.

In the end, it was too much work and discomfort for too little payoff. I started noticing that it didn't taste that great. Since I had to drink it so slowly, it no longer seemed refreshing or thirst-quenching. Ultimately I've decided that Water is my best choice if I'm thirsty, and if I need that caffeine boost coffee (now that I can have it again) is my best friend.

I went from being a huge Diet Coke fiend who'd literally tried to quit a hundred times, to someone who just doesn't care for it anymore, almost overnight.

I went from being a huge Diet Coke fiend who'd literally tried to quit a hundred times, to someone who just doesn't care for it anymore, almost overnight.

Oh I wish I were you! I haven't had it in almost six months (drank several in MX the night before surgery.) I still dream about drinking it occasionally and have clients that I buy soda for and it takes all my strength to not rip it from their hands and guzzle!

I avoided coke and other fizzy drinks for quite a while but that is because I'm not that keen on them anyway. However, I do have the odd diet coke (with my vodka!) now and am fine. I do sip it though and try not to gulp it down (don't do gulps anyway as it would just come straight back up!)