Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the deal with caffeine?

I keep hearing that sleevers shouldn't have caffeine. Why is that? Post surgery, I know I won't be able to drink a big cup of steaming fresh-brewed coffee, but why shouldn't I be able to have a bit of one? I'm a Northwest guy, and Starbucks is the LAW. :001_tt1:

Dave

Edited by Dave_NW

I've never been told to stop the caffeine. It took a while for me to feel like having a cup of coffee again (and I am a Starbucks girl and HUGE coffee consumer as well), but I have a light coffee or caramel Cappuccino once in a while, and now and again I enjoy a skinny capppuccino, still losing inches and no issues w my sleeve whatsoever!

I love a big cup of joe in the morning as well. That will probably be harder to kick than getting the actual surgery for me. lol

I like my coffee black. anything wrong with it then??

I'm right there with you! I love, adore, worship (and whatever other endearment you can think of) my coffee! Straight up black with nothing added. In fact I told my surgeon in no uncertain terms that I was willing to sacrifice and give up many many things but coffee would not be one of them - unless I could absolutely not tolerate it. She got a very good laugh out of me because she said in all the years she's been doing surgery no one had ever chosen coffee as the one thing they wouldn't give up. That being said......

Bariatric literature says that caffeine can increase gastric acids, which causes heartburn and gastro esophageal reflux. Caffeine also increases urine production, which can lead to dehydration of the body.

So we compromised - no caffeine until I was 6 weeks out to allow my stomach time to heal properly. But I could have Decaf during this time (I'm 2 1/2 weeks out). After 6 weeks I could have it if I could tolerate it, it caused no heartburn and I could drink 64 ounces of clear fluids a day (I've been able to do that since day 5).

And now that you've brought it up my mouth and head are salivating in anticipation of real coffee in.....oh about....3 1/2 weeks!

i have a couple of cups of coffee every day,, love it, never had any issues, my nut said it was ok to have a cup and eventually a couple of cups so i do, jeani

I had to wait until the tummy healed up a bit. I think it restricts blood flow so it could impaire the initial healing. I also have heard since it is a stimulant it can lead to cravings and more hunger.

I used to have a McDonalds Iced vanilla coffee every day. I now have added a regular cup of Pike Place Roast with a shot of sugar free vanilla and some sweet N low from Starbucks. I only get it 2-3 times a week. I would probably do fine with it daily though. I just thought if I can cut back on it and use it as a treat that would be even more enjoyable.

I sat outside Starbucks the other day with my Luna Protein Bar (peanut butter cookie YUM:001_wub:) and had a cup in our historic downtown district. That was the best damn cup I have had post-op.

We were also told "no caffeine" and basically for the reasons about the caffeine causing dehydration, heartburn, etc.

So even though my hubby won't have surgery until Dec. I'm hoping for Oct and decided we would "make the switch" to Decaf together....he ended up with a horrible 3 day long headache. :( The baratric nurse at our nutrition class said, you don't want the headache during recovery, trust me.

The one thing I wasn't clear on is if this was a forever or just until the 6 week mark. Sounds like from some of your experiences, it could just be until all healed. The thing that is frustrating is how do you know HOW MUCH caffeine things have? I love plain unsweet iced tea to drink and while it has no sugar or calories, I'm certain it has caffeine, but it isn't required for nutritional labeling, so that makes things hard.

I don't know if I can post links here (sorry newbie!) so here is something I found that is somewhat helpful...

Other data on caffeine:

Cup of coffee 90-150 mg

Instant coffee 60-80 mg

Tea 30-70 mg

Mate 5-150 mg

Cola 30-45 mg

chocolate bar 30 mg

Stay-awake pill 100 mg

Vivarin 200 mg

Cold relief tablet 30 mg

Edited by Mommy2Girls

I believe that coffee is not allowed right after because it is a diarelic (Spelling??) You need to staty hydrated and coffee does not allow that...

Just my guess..

I keep hearing that sleevers shouldn't have caffeine. Why is that? Post surgery, I know I won't be able to drink a big cup of steaming fresh-brewed coffee, but why shouldn't I be able to have a bit of one? I'm a Northwest guy, and Starbucks is the LAW. :(

Dave

I had caffeinated coffee straight after surgery with no problems (no one over here in UK said we shouldn't). I'm ok most of the time but sometimes when I have coffee out (cappucinos etc.) I can feel quite ill afterwards with palpitations, shaking and feeling really sick. It usually passes after a while but I think that is with really strong caffeine. Otherwise, as I said, I'm fine :(

I keep hearing that sleevers shouldn't have caffeine. Why is that? Post surgery, I know I won't be able to drink a big cup of steaming fresh-brewed coffee, but why shouldn't I be able to have a bit of one? I'm a Northwest guy, and Starbucks is the LAW. ;)

Dave

I really don't know Dave, I love my java and have been enjoying it ever since I had my WLS 9 months ago. . . doctor said in moderation is good, but too much could cause an ulcer possibly and we don't have room for another surgery to remove the ulcer?????:):scared0: soooooo i drink my 1 cup of coffee in the am and have a monster java in the pm and i'm good to go! Good luck!!!

mommy2girls: whats a "mate"

You know what? I had absolutely NO idea.

But I googled it...lol.

This is from wikipedia...

Mate (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate]), also known as chimarr?o (Portuguese: [ʃimaˈʁɐ̃w̃]) or cimarr?n, is a traditional South American infused drink, particularly in Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, southern states of Brazil, south of Chile, and the Bolivian Chaco. It is prepared from steeping dried leaves of yerba mate (llex paraguariensis, known in Portuguese as erva mate) in hot Water.

Mate is served with a metal straw from a shared hollow calabash gourd. The straw is called a bombilla in some Latin American countries, a bomba in Portuguese, and a bombija or in general a masassa (type of straw) in Arabic. The straw is traditionally made of silver. Modern commercially available straws are typically made of nickel silver, called Alpaca, stainless steel, or hollow-stemmed cane. The gourd is known as a mate or a guampa, while in Brazil it has the specific name of cuia. Even if the Water comes in a very modern thermos, the infusion is traditionally drunk from mates or cuias.

As with other brewed herbs, yerba mate leaves are dried, chopped, and ground into a powdery mixture called yerba. The bombilla acts as both a straw and a sieve. The submerged end is flared, with small holes or slots that allow the brewed liquid in, but block the chunky matter that makes up much of the mixture. A modern bombilla design uses a straight tube with holes, or spring sleeve to act as a sieve.

"Tea-bag" type infusions of mate (mate cocido) have been on the market in Argentina for many years under such trade names as "Cruz de Malta" and in Brazil under the name "Mate Le?o". This is considered a completely different drink, and is never drunk on "cuias" or called "chimarr?o", nor is it associated with the "ga?cha" culture.