Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for a snack

Why oh Why don't we have a costco here :)

I know it's a stretch, but the closest costco to you is in Greenville. Costco.com says that's 130-some miles from you. A couple hours drive? It'd be worth it to make the trip once in awhile, just to stock up on the non-perishable foods you want. Might be worth it to make a day trip of it, maybe take a friend along, and joint-shop. Since things often come in double- or triple-packaging, you could share some of the larger sizes of things with your shopping buddy, if you don't want the whole package. :thumbup:

Just a thought from a Costco fanatic. :)

Dave

I'm with you. Cashews are most of my lunch. I fill up a small ramekins with them. I try to only do that once a day. But, sometimes it' twice a day. And, i have to admit that I have put the whole jar there and went threw half of it. I am sure they are what contributed to my stall. But, they are my go to snack. The best are the Walgreens Colossal. I go through 1 1/2 cans a week. Bad boy.

Keys & Immore, I guess I should be grateful then that cashews are on my new FIUTL list - Foods I Used to Love. I have some cashew butter someone sent me and I was excited until I ate some and it tasted like nothing butter, the very essence of bland. Almonds are great, one of the most diet-responsible nuts so I feel that with good judgement and only eaten after my Protein is in, that they will make a good choice for snack. My only concern at the moment is that I will spend time and money getting these only to have it turn out that almonds are on the FIUTL list too.

Pork rinds ! ! !

Sounds good! Can't wait to try them in 4 weeks LOL

Okay, I hit the motherload!! I went to drugstore.com and typed in almonds. Planter's brand has a whole line called "flavor grove" of roasted and flavored almonds; chili lime, olive oil & sea salt, cracked black pepper onion & garlic, sign me up!! Then Blue Diamond brand has some dessert ones, I'm getting natural oven roasted almonds-butter toffee!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

I looked at the nutritional value, I thought if they taste that good they must be loaded with secret bad for you ingredients and have off the charts calories. Nope!! Better Protein and potassium in a 1 ounce serving than half a banana, about 100 calories - wahoo!! And one ounce is about 28 nuts, that's a lot of nuts!! I think I could eat 10.

I wondered if nuts would be an option for you since you asked for low-cal (but they payoff's worth it!)... if you're looking for something sweet, a few years ago I found sugar-free Jordan almonds somewhere online, for I think about $7 a pound. I have no idea where I got them from so you'd have to Google for them, but they were soooo good, and just perfect when I needed some low-carb sweetness. :tongue_smilie:

[edit] Oh wow... I just went looking myself, and now if you Google "sugar free Jordan almonds," tons of places have them! May have to do a little shopping myself later on.

Edited by Stacy160

The 100 calorie packs of cocoa dusted almonds are really good.

YES they are!!! Hard to find around here tho. I stock up when I'm on the 'mainland'!

C

The 100 calorie packs of cocoa dusted almonds are really good.

Gosh, you guys are worrying me that these almonds will be too delicious! So I'll probably parcel them out into servings in individual ziploc baggies and put 5 for the week into the fridge and hide the rest.

Bless your heart. yes nuts are loaded with fat, good fat, but fat afterall. . .like Tiffy said earlier, Pork rinds are good for you. . i lived off those when i was on the Adkins diet years ago. . .i still go to them every now and again. . . if they only didn't smell so bad! Another good snack is popsicles, sugar free of course, and Jerky. . . loves turkey jerky! But of course the best is no snacking at all. . . drink fluids instead, sugarfree koolaid, crystal light, diet soda, etc. . . if i'm starving for a snack and just can't get my head away from it, whatever the craving, i have it and get it over with. . it's not like your doing this everyday! Good luck!

Pork rinds aren't really horrible for us. I would get the hot flavor variety, and zap them in the microwave with a little cheese on them. It was kind of like nachos.

I didn't snack until maintenance, so they were practically a full meal for me. I didn't do it often, but when I needed salty/crunchy, they served their purpose.

Due to my unusual circumstances, which I'm sure most folks here are aware of, I need to have Snacks available. It isn't for snacking, it is because I put in 12 hour days in a harsh environment where my food options are minimal at best. I'm sick of sweet drinks and Jerky, as my initial post indicated. When I'm in an MRAP in full body armor my choices need to be portable, dry, and satisfying. Hence the nuts. Also I'm having difficulty getting in enough calories again now that I'm off the Peanut Butter. Todays food - myoplex shake, canned turkey, jerky. That's all I had available.

Due to my unusual circumstances, which I'm sure most folks here are aware of, I need to have Snacks available. It isn't for snacking, it is because I put in 12 hour days in a harsh environment where my food options are minimal at best. I'm sick of sweet drinks and Jerky, as my initial post indicated. When I'm in an MRAP in full body armor my choices need to be portable, dry, and satisfying. Hence the nuts. Also I'm having difficulty getting in enough calories again now that I'm off the Peanut Butter. Todays food - myoplex shake, canned turkey, jerky. That's all I had available.

I wasn't saying snacking was bad, I was just sharing my experience with making meals out of Pork rinds. I was able to stick to 4 meals a day. I completely understand your circumstances, and your nutritional needs are going to be different from most. Heck, I sat on my ass for the first 4 months other than walking so I didn't have to worry about certain restrictions.

Gee Globetrotter, I guess I missed something . What are these harsh conditions you're talking about?