Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being a "Public Figure" should I be proactive or reactive in telling people?

Here's a Nike slogan for you "Just do It. Tell the public, be honest. When.. not if you start losing huge amounts of weight in no time, they are going to think you did surgery anyway, so beat them to the punch. Tell and maybe educate them as well. That's my two cents worth.

Can you gives us some hints? Which team? Which sport.... football, baseball or ice hockey.... etc? LOL.

Deb

Can you gives us some hints? Which team? Which sport.... football, baseball or ice hockey.... etc? LOL.

Deb, you crack me up, LOL.

I too have struggled with a similar situation, to tell or not to tell. One of my clients approached me to become involved with her "Big/Beautiful/Wellness" organization. She knew I was "big and beautiful" and thought we would be a good fit professionally. Well, integrity dictated, and I felt the need to tell the trueth about my recent surgery. Guess what, she was so proud, astounded and happy that I decided to tell my story, that she feels I'll be an asset and an inspiration to the other members...surprise, surprise, surprise. You just never know how people are going to react....AND think of all the big/beautiful women I can now help....

Shout it loud and proud. You've taken positive steps to CHANGE your life and health. Its a GREAT thing....better than living sad, unable and unhappy. If you can change just one persons life by telling your story, you owe it to them, and you.

Good luck with your journey, and I know you'll make the right decision.

Cheers!

Great advice everyone! I will tell you that I work in professional sports, but I am not one of the athletes, but in my position, I am seen by everyone at the ballpark and I am very often on the video board and things like that. I am on the team's website and have also done a few local commercials and TV/Radio spots.

Please keep the replies coming.

So YOU'RE the Rally Monkey! :)

I think you should wait and see how you feel about it. I have kept my surgery a secret from all but my immediate family members.

Weight loss is a topic that just ignites such a passionate response from people. Here's my take on it. If you go public with the surgery, expect to hear a lot of judgments from people about taking "the easy way out." We know that's not true. Nothing about this surgery or the eating plan afterward is easy.

On the other hand, if people think you are just winning the battle of the bulge naturally, without surgery, expect TONS of praise, accolades, admiration and super-star treatment from people. When you lose a ton of weight everyone, I mean everyone, wants to know how you did it, what you ate, etc.

Sometimes I think I could find the cure for cancer or bring world peace to the planet and not get as much attention for those things as I did for losing weight! :thumbup:

I decided to tell as many people as possible. All of my family, personal friends and all of my Facebook friends. I am also going to post it on the team's message board. This way, I will not have to answer as many questions about what I am doing and instead I can help educate people about WLS.

I'm in the public eye now and then... I get featured in the paper or a magazine around 4 times a year. It looks to me like the time is ripe for WLS to go ballistic. Its a really good time to assist its coming out in a positive, non sensationalized way. People don't get all crazy and judgmental when someone gets a bypass, or has a broken leg set...at some point I think WLS might just be good news to the public... a really good aid in treating obesity and its co-morbidities. The more common it is, the more its in the public eye, the less 'radical" it will be seen as. Perhaps taking' the easy way out' will just look smart and reasonable in the future. I am telling friends and family for now... But when it really starts to show.. I will answer questions in the most compassionate and thoughtful way I can come up with.... oh, and probably a little humor thrown in too... I don't want my whole public life to be about how I lost weight, but I will stand up and make a statement if anyone asks.

Just really quick (as a former spokesperson for a major organization) -- I really liked how Al Roker handled his WLS -- there were murmurings about it, and then he came out and did several segments about it -- the thing about the sleeve is that it's not as if you're not going to be modifying how you eat and it's not as if you're not going to exercise.

As others have said, I think a website that you keep private for now, but when questions arise, you can make public. If you are affiliated with any of the baseball teams, you are probably already on their website -- maybe after you go public you can have the website link to your site.

The worst thing to do would be to lie. I think that since you are a semi-public figure, you need to be honest because that will go to your public image. But you don't have to be honest until the question arises.

But be prepared for the questions. So, you will need to know all about the surgery, some of the stats, etc. If you do appear in newspapers as a representative of the team, you will be quoted. So your knowledge about VSG will be taken as the "truth." So it's important not only to you, but to us (yep!) that you know what you're talking about.

And if you don't know how to put together a blog or a website, you might want to hire a firm to do it (with a clause for confidentiality) --

Remember how you handle this will ultimately decide public opinion on whether this is a "good" thing or a "bad" thing -- I know that that's pretty heavy to hear, but it's really important how you handle the media -- and the media pretty much blasts people who lie. If you lie, then they think there's something "wrong" with it. If you're truthful and knowledgeable, then they'll most likely print positive things (course that depends on the person writing . . . ).

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to answer -- I used to do PR and was a spokesperson on Capitol Hill in Washington DC for years and kinda know the ins and outs of handling the media . . . :) Hope that helps!

I think being open and honest is the best policy.

I don't think that WLS is bad (obviously) but when Star Jones only admited to diet and yoga, I think everyone smelled a fish. Then coming out later and saying "oh it was WLS" just made her look bad. It shed some light on public opinion about WLS, and how ashamed she felt that she couldn't share what she had done. I really like the way Al Roker did his, and have been happy to see him eventually settle at a weight that he can maintain (I think he got down to 190 something then was back up to 240ish and had to work some of that back off). Carnie Wilson was pretty sensational, and I think very inspirational to many people, but unfortunately I think she has struggled quite a bit, and unfortunately that is all in the public eye as well.

Love the idea of a blog that you can update with your point of view, thoughts, etc. Read it or don't, but at least you can direct people to that if they are interested!

My personal opinion is to just wait it out. I only say this because I have been there done that. I wish so bad now I hadn't told anyone and everyone. Now I'm having to explain things I really don't want to.

You will have to explain yourself all the time. Good times and bad times. If things aren't going that good for you, you are already going to feel down about it, not to mention having to talk about it all the time - that really does make it worse.

If and when you hit goal then feel free to open up about it, until then keep it to yourself. This is going to be stressful enough without all the heckling, bombardment of questions and whatnot. You will need as much civility and focus as possible during this time. Only tell those that really need to know.

There will come a day when you can open up about it, until then I'd say just follow your own journey - keep it your own.

:D

I REFUSE to answer questions that I don't want to about my weight loss. I have chosen to tell people that I had WLS (depending upon the person and my mood) but I draw the line there. I don't answer ANY questions about my surgery - not what kind of surgery I had, or anything. I have found that once I refuse (with a big, congenial smile on my face) to tell what kind of surgery I had, all questions stop there. It was the best decision I ever made. Now, I have no guilt about misleading people, and I don't have to answer a bunch of personal questions that make me uncomfortable. I am finding that it's getting easier and easier to tell people that I'm not disclosing my type of surgery and that I won't be discussing it. I think it's very important that we not let people bully us into talkiing about things we don't want to. It's not only a cause for stress, it also gives them ammunition to use against us when it suits their purpose - like if they want to make an example out of us. We have to hold firm with what we are comfortable disclosing and keep the rest under wraps.

I had planned to share my type of surgery with people who are considering WLS but I have since reconsidered that decision somewhat. I am concerned about someone choosing the sleeve because of my success and appearance of good health and then not having a good experience themselves. I would feel awful! I think it's important for people to do the research and choose the surgery they think is best for them. But, I may reconsider that on a case by case basis - like if I run across someone set on getting the band. :blink: You guys have educated me on that one! :lol:

I had my surgery on the 10th and I am feeling good. I am glad I informed as many people as possible, not only to be an ambassador for WLS, but with so many prayers, I knew I was going to be alright!

Now for who I am. Try to contain your excitement! lol. I work for the 2006 Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes as a member of the Eye Care Associates Storm Squad. We are very active during, before and after the games talking to people, doing promotions, doing charity work in the communutym, cheering on the Canes during the gam,e intermission activities on the ice and more.

The thousands and thousands of people who see me every game would defunately see my weight loss. I think I did a good job of informing people, though I know there will still be quesrions. I think word of mouth from others is going to help me out.

The Hurricanes' television announcers even gave an update during our game broadcast Wednesday against the Flyers.

The first picture is of me at Busch Gardens in the summer. I was about 455 in this picture.

This picture is of me at a Wolfpack football game in Ocotober weighing in at around 470.

post-62249-13813667773217_thumb.jpg

This is a picture that I took right before I walked out of the door to head to the hospital. Weight around 450. That jersey was given to me by Reebok, but I have never been able to wear it.

post-3657-13813656008507_thumb.jpg

post-3657-13813656023665_thumb.jpg

post-3657-13813656028282_thumb.jpg

post-3657-13813656032743_thumb.jpg

Everyone has given such great advise. I think each of us has had to deal with the questions of who to tell and when. I have a best friend who is 2 years post op with the Lapband, and still hasn't told her MOTHER!!

I found that the first month or so after my surgery was a time of healing, adjustment, and learning how to live with my new sleeve. As with any surgery the first few weeks even months should be a time to be good to you, and to concentrate on you. Several months in--- as you begin to lose the weight you may be ready to shout it from the mountain tops to any and everyone..." I love me sleeve"!!! However I found that in the begining I truly needed that private time with me and my sleeve.

I love the suggestions of blogging (I have been) and directing people at a later date to share in your blogs (already in progress)..

Best of luck to you....And welcome aboard!

Congratulations on feeling good!! I'm glad that telling people has worked out well -- those pics are great! :D