Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally found the food tracker that works for me

Has anyone heard of fatsecret.com? I stumbled across it while googling the calories etc. of my foods. The best breakdowns kept coming from a place called fatsecret.com so I took a better look at it. I didn't like the way dailyplate or fitday were set up, I know they work for a lot of us but they just weren't as user friendly as I wanted. Fatsecret is so cool, it breaks down all your foods into fat/carbs/protein/cals, and it provides a percentage pie chart so you can get a visual idea of just how much of your diet is consisting of fat, carbs, and Protein. Plus, unlike myplate, it let me put in my daily caloric need of 600 - myplate wouldn't let me go below 800. Anyway, I finally found the one that works for me so I'm excited about it and sharing the info. :001_smile:

How is fatsecret different from fitday--they both do what you describe. Am I missing something?

From using both, my perspective:

FS (FatSecret) has more foods. I was setting up custom foods for everything (Chunky Soup, Isopure, Atkins shakes, fast food, dozens of other things). It even has grocery store custom items (Albertson's soups). It also has many things I buy from Whole Foods. These things I had to setup as custom foods in Fitday, and I hated it.

FS lets you setup meals. In Fitday I had this huge spam of food (5 ingredients for my turkey sandwich, all kinda custom foods, etc). Fitday doesn't split it up into breakfast/lunch/dinner, but FS does. I like the organization of meals better, it's easier to understand.

Fitday logs me out too often, I'm always online with FS.

You can see other people's diets and results, and have buddies and such. Plus the FS site is faster (much) for me at least.

From using both, my perspective:

FS (FatSecret) has more foods. I was setting up custom foods for everything (Chunky Soup, Isopure, Atkins shakes, fast food, dozens of other things). It even has grocery store custom items (Albertson's soups). It also has many things I buy from Whole Foods. These things I had to setup as custom foods in Fitday, and I hated it.

FS lets you setup meals. In Fitday I had this huge spam of food (5 ingredients for my turkey sandwich, all kinda custom foods, etc). Fitday doesn't split it up into breakfast/lunch/dinner, but FS does. I like the organization of meals better, it's easier to understand.

Fitday logs me out too often, I'm always online with FS.

You can see other people's diets and results, and have buddies and such. Plus the FS site is faster (much) for me at least.

Hm, maybe I'll try that. I can relate to the need to set up a million custom foods with Fitday. I used to pay for CalorieKing, which has a ton of brand and restaurant foods, but it's become outrageously expensive lately.

I have been using fat secret for awhile now. It also has a linked iPhone ap and it let's you put in foods by bar code.

I checked out fatsecret and started using it today--if anybody wants to be my "buddy" on there so we can share food logs, I'm Donna4545 there, too. They also have a Blackberry Calorie Counter app that rocks too.

Doug and Donna - I tried to find both of you on FS and no joy! I just discovered today another cool thing about FS - if there is a food that doesn't exist in their database, you can input it and thereafter it exists!! I put in Healthwise wild berry Protein Powder today and bam - now it exists! If you want to find me there and buddy me I am "globetrotter", same as here. :D

I just logged my food for last two days. Today was much better then yesterday. Look me up! My user name is same as here MP8BTPC!