Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

Just wondering what your experience has been with popcorn. Do you eat it, is it uncomfortable, does it give you gas, does it get stuck? Has anyone ever been advised against it? Has anyone experienced any complications with popcorn or is it safe?

Thanks!

I've eaten popcorn in small amounts at the movies and it feels fine. (this was at about 3 1/2 months out.) Just like before EXCEPT for the quantity of course! What's a movie without POPCORN!!! :)

I'm eating a 100-calorie pack of Smartfood cheddar popcorn as we speak. I've had it a couple of times since surgery, no issues.

The great thing about the sleeve is things don't get stuck. The 100 calorie packs of popcorn are one of my favorite afternoon Snacks. I have been eating them without any problems since about three months out. Enjoy!

I was told no popcorn until at least 3 months. Don't know why, but I can eat MUCH more popcorn than other foods - MUCH more!!!

Every day I 'report' what I eat to my nutritionist that the surgeon provided. I ate popcorn and she said 'no' until around 3 months. (ppssst...but it was fine, nothing happened). The thing that I noticed was that I could eat A LOT of popcorn. So, I try not to do it now.

I just logged on to ask this very same question. As I read the replies I am extremely happy. I love me some popcorn. Waiting 3 months to eat it is nothing---as long as I can still eat it. I am waiting for Nov 2nd to have my sleeve done. Super excited!!!!!!!! I'm glad I found this little community. Blessings2u--BJ

The kernels can get stuck in your suture or staple line which is why it's a no no until 3 months. I'd wait on popcorn and pomgrantes.

I just recently had a little bit of popcorn at the movies. I am 4 and 1/2 months out. I had no problems. But I too was told to wait till 3 months. I also had just a little for fear I would not be able to digest it! :-) But it did feel like I could have had much more! :-)

This is SO interesting to me - my surgeon told me NO popcorn or corn of any kind - EVER AGAIN. I love popcorn, so this and no Diet Coke were the things that I was worried about giving up. So far I don't miss them as much as I thought I would. :-) It is so fascinating to me how vastly different his instructions have been from those I have read on here. It makes me feel good to know that he is VERY conservative, but it is also reassuring to know that if I sip Water with a straw or have a few pieces of popcorn someday, it won't kill me. ;-)

I love the things I learn on this forum!

Jen :)

I had my surgery in Jan 2010 and I don't go to the movies without eating popcorn. I have not have any problems eating it and in fact it is one thing that a seem to be able to eat more than I should of.

So glad to hear popcorn can enter my diet (and sleeve) in the near future!! It was my go to snack! Air popped of course. I miss it so much. Had sleeve end of July, so another month or so! Think I’ll go with the 100 calorie pack for Portion Control. Thanks for all the great input!!