Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old Timer's History

Ok then... there's only one answer to this problem. Toss the TV out the door and spend all your free time on LBT! *laughs*

My wife is about ready to toss me out of the house for spending so much time on my PC.:)

Hi Tired,

Your symptoms sound VERY similar to what happened to me, but I didn't wait long to have them addressed. For a solid month earlier this year I had reflux to the point of regurgitation while sitting in a recliner. It was awful!

I had an endoscopy which diagnosed...a too-tight band and esophagitis. A "complete" unfill has completely resolved my reflux, and a barium test three weeks after the unfill showed my band to be in great position. My esophagus was a bit "prominent" which is something my surgeon wants to follow up on, but for now I'm thrilled to be reflux-free.

It's now been about three months since my unfill and I'm starting to think about another fill. My hunger is manageable for now, but I can tell it's going to get harder and harder to do. However, I don't expect miracles from my band and if this is how it's going to be that's OK with me. As long as I don't have to have it removed I'll continue to be a very happy bandster.

Sounds like you've been through the wringer. :) I'm with those who think you may have a slippage going on. That reflux issue is very serious. Aspiration pneumonia is serious business. :eek: I'm betting if there is no slippage, you at least have some serious esophagitis going on. Please keep us posted!

Oh well.. she has to go too then. *snickers and snorts*

Next month will be our 39th Anniversary. I think I'll have to keep her, at least until I get my anniversary gift.:)

*laughs* Congratulations on your 39 years! I hope you get a very nice present. And just a suggestion... hang on to your woman. It's not easy to find someone willing to stick around for that long. :)

*laughs* Congratulations on your 39 years! I hope you get a very nice present. And just a suggestion... hang on to your woman. It's not easy to find someone willing to stick around for that long. :)

Especially with me.:help:

I understand the emotional eating. Healthy choices don't fix it for me. Have you thought about overeaters anonymous? This group focuses on the compulisve nature. I hate it. I think most of us are compulsive eaters. We have to find the tricks to keep us out of the kitchen especially at night. It sure makes a big difference to write down what and how much you eat. it makes us face the reality of what we are putting in our mouth. Hang in there. My heart is with you.:)

I really hope everything gets better for you. Like was said "noone should have to live like that." : ) You sound like a wonderful and determined man and I wish you the best! Just remember you are retired, and you have done enough work in your life, and it sounds like you are working again trying to keep this lap-band. So try to be happy , and if it makes you miserable, is it worth it? I know you said you would do it over again, but...wow you must be really determined. I wish you the best and I will pray for you to take this pain away. And by the way congrats on your weightloss already..

Has anyone tryed Hoodia? This Lap-Band would be so much more successful with an appetite supressor. I get so hungry sometimes.

Ive tried Hoodia, but didnt get much out of it. I AM taking 1/2 a Tenuate daily - it definately helps. As long as I take it with a little food, Im not jittery.

Also - regarding the Nexium. Ive had problems with reflux too. The Nexium was a nightmare for me while trying to treat the reflux. Go figure! OTC Prilosec seems to be my potion.

Good luck.

Hi everyone:

I had my endoscopy. The doctor said everything was normal, except for a little gastritis. He took a biopsy of my upper stomach wall to be check for "H. pylori". If it is positive, that might explain the gastric reflux attacks that I have been having and it can be treated with a regiment of antibiotics.

I hope others with reflux problems can benefit from that knowledge. My wife had told me about a month ago that her friend had told her of horrible gastric reflux attacks and after she was checked for "H. pylori" and treated with antibiotics, she finally had relief. My wife's friend suggested to my wife that I be tested for "H. pylori", but I never got around to it. My reflux problem was really exacerbated recently when I was taking an antibiotic (clindamycin) for a infected finger-nail. maybe the clindamycin caused a reaction with an infection. My face swelled up, I felt lethargic and I had a rash on my stomach, so I called to get a different antibiotic. When I stopped the clindamycin and switched to the different antibiotic, the reflux improved, but was still very bad.

My wife and I are staying at our friend's home, 15 miles from the hospital. I was in no condition to drive the 101 miles to our home tonight.

Hi everyone:

I had my endoscopy. The doctor said everything was normal, except for a little gastritis.

My reflux problem was really exacerbated recently when I was taking an antibiotic (clindamycin) for a infected finger-nail. maybe the clindamycin caused a reaction with an infection. My face swelled up, I felt lethargic and I had a rash on my stomach, so I called to get a different antibiotic. When I stopped the clindamycin and switched to the different antibiotic, the reflux improved, but was still very bad.

Hi Tired,

Glad to hear everything was normal except for gastritis - what does your doctor have you doing to clear that up? I'm curious because my doctor thinks I may have some mild gastritis going on.

I think you may have hit on something there - the fact that your face swelled up leads me to wonder if you didn't have swelling elsewhere, like your stomach, that led to this cycle of eat-PB-swell-eat-PB-swell thats going on. I'm very much interested to know about the test results and the possible antibiotic treatment.

Glad you're on your way to health and comfort, please keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, there are so few men here on LBT you're practically guaranteed of your own harem in no time! lol Don't worry Jack, your harem is quite loyal!

Hey Tired! Glad to hear that your endoscopy turned out okay! I hope you soon have permenant relief from the Gastritis and Acid Reflux, I know that can be painful! Please keep us posted on LBT, you are a rarity around here: male and long-term banded. I'm sure us "newbies" can learn a lot from you and in turn offer you tremendous support in your journey. Best of luck, and feel better soon!