Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Folding Sheets, or, My Idea Of Hell

I begged, I pleaded, I threatened, I bribed, I chastised, and mostly I yelled. But the clothes remained on the floor...clean clothes, I had just washed, and she tried on and discarded. Made me FURIOUS!!! Eventually I took a lundry basket to her room, and collected everything that had been tossed on the floor or left wadded on the bed, or dresser, or desk. When she come home she thought I had as usual broke down and put it away myself, until she wanted a certain item and it was not to be found. The deal was, if she wanted something out of the basket, she could only have it IF she put the rest of the items in the basket away. It became part of my routine, I would walk through her room, and if it was on the floor,or had not been put away, it was mine. She had to work the basket to get what she wanted. It was not a perfect solution, but it worked for us. She learned eventually, she is on her own now, and has her own daughter...I LOVE IT!!!!!

Kat

Vines your killing me about the table...my husband is the same way...all his SH** ends up on my table except for holidays!!!

Kathy the picture of your daughters room is so funny....just a tipckle girl for ya!!!

OI too hate folding sheets or doing any laundry for that matter....its like a never ending cycle.....about the time you think you got it all done you turn around and out of no where theres another pile!!!:)

I hope this doesn't gross you out but this is one of my strangest experiences.

Yesterday when I got up, there was a roach in the kitchen. I dropped my shoe on it, got a cup of coffee, and went internet surfing (not ready to deal with cleaning it up.

As I walked in the kitchen later, the roach was gone. As I looked around, I watched it being carried away by a pile of ants and disappear into a hole in the wall (to the outside). Gross or self-cleaning - hmmmm.

When I was younger, I tried on every outfit and threw them on the bed, floor, etc also. One time my mom went and put some (1 or 2) crickets in my bedroom and they chirped all night. I couldn't find them because of the clothes so I had to pick them up. That cured that.

Celeste

Road Queen,

That gave me a good laugh! And no, I wasn't grossed out by the roach. When my husband and I were in college, the only apartment we could affort was overrun by the darn things.

NancyRN

FunnyDuddies and Barbara 465,

I was so inspired by your posts on the Flip Fold that I immediately went to eBay and bought one ($10) ! And I'm actually excited about using it!!

NancyRN

Nancy, let me know how you like the Flip Fold. I keep thinking about hubby's side of the closet. I think I could keep it nice if I simply spent 15 min. on it once a week. Maybe I don't need a contraption...maybe I just need to put it "on my list"? It's sure not on his list. He lives outta that closet just fine! Boy-o it's a mess, though!

I had given them as gifts, but never used mine. When DH and I went on our Alaskan cruise I pulled that flip fold out. It worked like a charm. I was able to get so much in my suitcase. I folded everything with it. Once I figured out what all I could do with it I folded pants, shirts, T-shirts, etc. Hope you like it.

p.s. I haven't used it for sheets yet. :)

Oh Celiest! A self cleaning house! Woot!

Actually that kind of gives me the willies, but you have to look at the bright side, right?!

Actually, what I would really like is a house elf (like Dobby in the Harry Potter movies). I could tell it what to do and it would be cooperative and never whine at me, "Why? Why do I have to do that?" like my 11-year-old does.

Has anyone here used recipes from Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals"? Is it worth spending my money on?

NancyRN

I can't believe it - I found my Iron tonight for the first time in at least 6 months (surprised it wasn't rusty!) - but only to Iron the cover for an Ikea footstool that I bought today to PUT THE FITTED SHEETS IN!!! Ha ha ha couldn't believe it when I found this thread - you girls are hilarious!

I agree - the only way to fold the darned things is to tuck all the corners together - then I usually lay the sheet on the floor, bed or table so I can get the side flaps to fold in straight. Or if hubby's around, I get him to grab the other end, and we finish folding it "airborne". Still - we often just get a sheet ball at the end, so maybe I'll just start shoving them into a pillowcase. Don't laugh - I've even considered hanging them up in the wardrobe on skirt hangers!

I just take the sheets off, wash, put back. No folding required! We have more than one set, but only one set ever gets used. Same for the kids and guest room.

I'm with you! This is what I do too! I used to work in an adult care facility and actually got good at folding sheets, including fitted, but why do it if you don't have to!

Here I am with a Ph.D. and I can't fold a fitted sheet. I try but they always come out sort of wadded together. I have met people who can fold fitted sheets. They are clearly geniuses. I always want my sheets to look like they did when they were new and neatly folded. Dream on. Man, this makes me feel better.

haha. I watched a Martha Stewart episode one time...or was it in her magazine?...and she said to fold in thirds. For fitted sheets, fold in half, the corners into each other, then half again, so all 4 corners are tucked into a pocket. At this point, it's small enough to fold into thirds, then thirds again, and if you are lucky, it comes out relatively flat and the same size as the flat sheet when folded. Then she said to tuck the sheets and any extra pillow cases into one pillow case and store the set in your linen closet that way. I don't do the pillow case thing, but it sure looks nice and handy when Martha-dear does it. Anyhow, I always think of the "thirds" rule when folding the sheets.

Now, the cat in the laundry basket, I can't help with. But can you blame the cat? What a wonderful nap that would be!!!!!

I can fold sheets like Martha Stewart...just as soon as I have a staff of 50 ike she does!!! And as for ironing, I am smart enough to remove my own clothes as soon as they come out of the dryer (still damp) and hang them somewhere...so I almost never Iron. Since my husband leaves the laundry to me, his clothes get hung up wrinkly, and HE can Iron them when he is ready to wear them!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehe.....It's my way of trying to m otivate him to do his own darned clothes! :omg:

Particularly when you realize the damned cat has been using them for a comfy catnap! Crud. Back to the laundry room.

lol my cat does the same. I have 2 laundry baskets on top of boxes in my room since we recently moved in and he makes sure to jump in either one to sleep. Sometimes I go to sit on the bed and he is under the covers and I hear his little "brr" sound because I woke him up.

Since I found this forum, I can't seem to get any laundry washed - let alone fold the sheets. lol!:biggrin1: :laugh :) :ranger:

...so far tonight, one of our cats has slept on two of the three piles of fresh, unfolded laundry that are occupying the family room furniture... ...the other cat has retreated to leave fluff all over the couch...:) ...hairballs (eeewww!!!) are always deposited on the CARPET, and NEVER on the hard floors... ...what is it with cats???... ...as if there wasn't enough laundry & chores to do already!!!